• In total there are 25 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 24 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What Books Do You Dislike?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Ha! :laugh:

Very good rhyme. A 'condensed' read!!

I didn't like much, 'A Short History of Tractors in the Ukraine' although my daughter thought it was very funny.

I wonder if I'll ever finish 'The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire'?

Or, 'War and Peace' for that matter!!

I dust them a lot!!!
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
uod_sa_libro
Experienced

Unread post

Mr. Pessimistic wrote:The Xtian Bible. I just dont get it...

Atlas Shrugged. Characters are so shallow and thin and so is the 'plot'.

Mr. P.
Hello, Mr. P. :smile: Which Christian Bible version did you read? Sometimes the details differ. But anyway, the Bible wasn't meant to entertain so yeah, you could say the characters and the plot are 'thin' or "shallow". Just wanted to comment, please don't take offense. :oops:

Anyway, I like Stephen King books - but not all of them. What I like about him is the versatility of the characters in some of his books. :D

Lord of the Flies, too, I couldn't get through. I know it's a literary classic or something, but the story depressed me too much I couldn't get over it. And Wuthering Heights, I know a lot of people like it, and I might actually be found reading it a few months from now since I think it's part of our curriculum. :hmm:
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Mr. Pessimistic wrote:
The Xtian Bible. I just dont get it...

Atlas Shrugged. Characters are so shallow and thin and so is the 'plot'.

Mr. P.
uod_sa_libro wrote:
Which Christian Bible version did you read? Sometimes the details differ. But anyway, the Bible wasn't meant to entertain so yeah, you could say the characters and the plot are 'thin' or "shallow". Just wanted to comment, please don't take offense.
I think Mr. P. was referring to "Atlas Shrugged" when making the comment about thin and shallow characters.

I hate tear jerkers! "The Kite Runner" comes to mind. I did shed some real tears in the beginning, but was unable to force them at the end.

Suzanne
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

My daughter just passed on a book she just read called The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. She's been reading it whilst giving birth.... :P

She really enjoyed it and passed it on to me with warm recommendation, but it is such a 'horror' genre (well, at the beginning - I've just read the first two chapters) and I'm just not in the mood for horror.

So I'm not going to condemn it, but leave it on the shelf for awhile and I'm going to read a couple of Jean Plaidy's historical fiction novels. At the moment I'm reading about the Plantagenets and Eleonor of Aquitaine.

I am a great fan of historical fiction and have to have my periodic fix. ;-)
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
uod_sa_libro
Experienced

Unread post

Thanks, Suzanne! I thought Atlas Shrugged was just Mr. P's own expression. Didn't know about it. Thanks for the info. :D
kal
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Jane Austen.
F.S. Fitzgerald.
Don DeLillo.

On the other hand, got through Moby Dick (ok), liked Catcher in the Rye (read it kind of old, I might have loved it earlier), Stephen King is ok (Misery very good).
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Kal wrote:
Jane Austen.
F.S. Fitzgerald.
Don DeLillo.
These are authors you do not like? Wow, we are polar opposites. I am not a big fan of Steven King.

However, I do agree with you, I "got through" Moby Dick, yeah, I can say I read it.

Have you read the story of the Essex? In the Heart of the Sea, the Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick. This is the true story that inspired Melville.

Oh, I liked it, sorry, you probably will not. :laugh:

Welcome by the way.
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

I recently read The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon and didn't care for it at all. I have three other books by him... it will be a long time, if ever...
lottebeertje
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

I started reading Slaughterhouse-Five and by the time I was at page 80 I was so sick of the sentence 'So it goes' I had to put it down. Also, I am planning to give A Farewell To Arms another go soon, but when I read it at first the 'and' 'and' 'and' in one sentence was a bit too much for me...
alexden
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I loved Slaughterhouse Five, the repetition of 'so it goes' reflected the way that the character flipped backwards and forwards in time I felt.

The one book I have never been able to read is Lord of the Rings which is a little odd given that the Gormenghast trilogy is one of my all time favourites. :bow:

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”