• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What Books Do You Dislike?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Adrianne
Official Newbie!

Unread post

The Great Gatsby. I read it in high school and disliked it, but people are constantly saying how much they loved it. It's a favorite among many. I tried this year to read it again and see if my opinion has changed. It hasn't. I couldn't even get through it. :doze:
Leeann1980
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I was so disappointed with Turn of the Screw, I read it expecting a fantastically creepy ghost story, it was just boring, nothing really happened....really had to force myself to finish it. Also Lord of the Flies - had to read it for english lit, however can't complain too much, the same class introduced me to Thomas Hardy..... :smile:
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Hello Leanne1980, welcome to Booktalk! :smile:
Ophelia.
farmgirlshelley
Intern

Unread post

From the Farm to the Table: What All Americans Need to Know about Agriculture by Gary Holthaus

since I own a small organic farm I thought I would love this book, but I just couldn't get into it. It was too drawn out, boring and I was surprised since I have never met a farm book I didn't like. I tried to care about these farmers and get into their stories. I think the editors did a bad job on this one, the flow just wasn't there.
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

I dislike Harry Potter books, probably because they are so successful and also because adults read them like they are little children again. I read the first few when I was like 15 or 16 and they were a bit kiddy then, they are quite fantastical and while the storyline is very involving there are few real "life lessons" either offered or to be learned. Disgusting!! :sick:

:book:
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Grim:

Well, you would, wouldn't you????

What's wrong with adults becoming little children again??

What's wrong with not having life's lessons thrust at you!!!

What's wrong with pretending we are wizards and have some sort of control over the chaos. If only......

Some books are just about involving stories.......some people think life is just an involving story.

I promise, I'm not stalking you......I'll go away now, and read my Harry Potter, quietly in the corner.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
The Ritzy

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book Nut

Unread post

Twilight by Stephanie Meyers. I honestly couldn't get passed the 8th chapter of that book. Maybe one day, maybe, I will finish it and have full, coherent thoughts on it all but I couldn't stand to read any more of it.
Deborah_H
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

The Kite Runner - everyone else seems to love it... I just forced myself to finish it.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Hi Deborah
The Kite Runner - everyone else seems to love it... I just forced myself to finish it.

I had the same trouble with Kite Runner - but because I had just read, and enjoyed, A Thousand Splendid Suns - and I think I'd had enough of the genre. I'll go back to it perhaps, after a change of read. :D
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Diane D
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I've tried three times to read The Lord of the Rings. Each time, I got halfway through The Two Towers, and couldn't get any farther. I wonder how it ends. :hmm:
My books wrote:One seriously unreadable classic for me was Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
Instead of the Rime, My books, try this ultra-condensed version:

“Aged pest buttonholes
Wedding guest, rigmaroles
How bird hexed boat,
Prayer kept him afloat,
Love conquers all, unquote.”

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”