• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Presidential Debates - 2020

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Presidential Debates - 2020

Unread post

I can't lie--and ant might be glad to hear this-- I'm nervous for Biden. It's gonna be hard for him to find that line between passively shrugging off Trump's provocation and getting into a brawl with him (which Biden says he wants to avoid). Also, Biden can become flummoxed, and that doesn't look good. Even though these shows are of questionable value, as Cattleman said, whichever one shows most respect for the occasion and some dignity, will win in my eyes.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:

The same is doubly true of Trump.
All these silly-minded flirtations with tu quoque will win you no prizes. I do not entirely disagree with you though

Interbane wrote:

And yet he enters office and cuts taxes, rather than push to fix the loopholes.
I agree.
But why haven't the democrats push to fix loopholes as well? They recently had 8 straight years to do it.

My hunch is most of them use these very same loopholes, break bread with republicans that do the same, then laugh at us all over drinks.

I am not a "business as usual" man.
Unlike the "anyone but Trump" crowd.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Thanks for the tip on the popcorn, Chris. :wink: Personally, I am looking forward to the Pence/Harris (Harris/Pence) debate, if there is one. Sorry, I haven't kept up on the campaign schedule. :hmm:
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

DWill wrote:I can't lie--and ant might be glad to hear this-- I'm nervous for Biden. It's gonna be hard for him to find that line between passively shrugging off Trump's provocation and getting into a brawl with him (which Biden says he wants to avoid). Also, Biden can become flummoxed, and that doesn't look good. Even though these shows are of questionable value, as Cattleman said, whichever one shows most respect for the occasion and some dignity, will win in my eyes.

Whoever is the less phony will score points with me, regardless.

I wont be voting for him, but Trump explicitly admitted to the NYT back in 2016 (I think) that he hasn't paid (significant) taxes in years.
He was essentially saying the game is rigged for people like him.

How much taxes do you think monoliths like Google, Facebook, Amazon, and Twitter pay annually?
Last edited by ant on Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:But why haven't the democrats push to fix loopholes as well? They recently had 8 straight years to do it.

My hunch is most of them use these very same loopholes, break bread with republicans that do the same, then laugh at us all over drinks.
I agree completely.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

I agree.
But why haven't the democrats push to fix loopholes as well? They recently had 8 straight years to do it.
You're right, they should have.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/2752 ... -loopholes

It's hard when the opposite party from the President controls congress, and the President has used all their political capital on another endeavor.

For that span of time when one party controls both, I'd love to see campaign finance reform. Then if there's still energy left, comprehensive tax reform. The problem with any net increase in tax on corporations is they're beholden to shareholders, and that disconnect seems to be immune to patriotism. They won't simply sit around in the US and pay more in taxes, they'll instead move abroad.

I don't have any good answers for the entropy of wealth. Even as it flows to the top, it is also equalizing across the globe. That leaves us with poverty at home and sweat shops abroad, and no good solution.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

This Republic is no more.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Omg

This is so ugly
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Gotta agree with you there
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Trump deliberately and constantly spoke over Biden, seemingly to urge voters to hold the Democrats in contempt and encourage them not to listen to what Biden has to say. But Trump failed in his effort to rattle Biden. Also the squabbling tactic may help to justify a Trump pullout of the next debates. Trump can see the debates won't help him since Joe performed strongly. Trump will say it was just a dogfight, even though that was his fault.

Return to “Current Events & History”