• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 10 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 786 on Sun May 10, 2020 1:56 am

Presidential Debates - 2020

A forum for the friendly discussion of national and international politics, history and current events.
Interbane
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Presidential Debates - 2020

I agree.
But why haven't the democrats push to fix loopholes as well? They recently had 8 straight years to do it.
You're right, they should have.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/2752 ... -loopholes

It's hard when the opposite party from the President controls congress, and the President has used all their political capital on another endeavor.

For that span of time when one party controls both, I'd love to see campaign finance reform. Then if there's still energy left, comprehensive tax reform. The problem with any net increase in tax on corporations is they're beholden to shareholders, and that disconnect seems to be immune to patriotism. They won't simply sit around in the US and pay more in taxes, they'll instead move abroad.

I don't have any good answers for the entropy of wealth. Even as it flows to the top, it is also equalizing across the globe. That leaves us with poverty at home and sweat shops abroad, and no good solution.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

This Republic is no more.
ant

Omg

This is so ugly
DWill

Gotta agree with you there
Robert Tulip
Australia

Trump deliberately and constantly spoke over Biden, seemingly to urge voters to hold the Democrats in contempt and encourage them not to listen to what Biden has to say. But Trump failed in his effort to rattle Biden. Also the squabbling tactic may help to justify a Trump pullout of the next debates. Trump can see the debates won't help him since Joe performed strongly. Trump will say it was just a dogfight, even though that was his fault.
Penelope
One more post ought to do it.

Don’t you feel helpless?

I just sit and watch and wonder. At least lockdown is peaceful!
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
DWill

Penelope wrote:Don’t you feel helpless?

I just sit and watch and wonder. At least lockdown is peaceful!
Hi, Penelope. Great to hear from you. I wasn't even thinking in terms of people outside the U.S. watching our catfight (is that unfair to cats?). But I cringe to think of the further damage to our reputation that the spectacle caused.
Cattleman
critical of books shorter than 1000 pages

I was reminded of two little boys on a playground... "Did so!" "Did not!" "Step over that line!" "I double-dog dare ya!"
While I have no idea who "won" the debate, I know who lost - the American voter.

Actually looking forward to the vice-presidential debate.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
DWill

Robert Tulip wrote:Trump deliberately and constantly spoke over Biden, seemingly to urge voters to hold the Democrats in contempt and encourage them not to listen to what Biden has to say. But Trump failed in his effort to rattle Biden. Also the squabbling tactic may help to justify a Trump pullout of the next debates. Trump can see the debates won't help him since Joe performed strongly. Trump will say it was just a dogfight, even though that was his fault.
I didn't see it as a strong performance by Biden, but the circumstances were difficult. I think that Biden's words come across better seen in print today, because he's not a strong speaker. Biden hung in there, but to me he did seem rattled at times. He missed a number of opportunities to score points directly against what Trump had claimed, too often relying on prepared thoughts rather than effectively parrying Trump. He did, also, let himself be goaded into returning insults and joined in interruption at times. One never really knows, but I suspect almost any of Biden's primary opponents would have managed Trump better than Joe did. Still, I think many viewers will make allowances for Biden faltering in the face of such a barrage of bullying, interruption, and false or ridiculous charges.

Trump will be back. He thinks all of his performances are great, so he'll want his encores.
ant

DWill wrote:
Robert Tulip wrote:Trump deliberately and constantly spoke over Biden, seemingly to urge voters to hold the Democrats in contempt and encourage them not to listen to what Biden has to say. But Trump failed in his effort to rattle Biden. Also the squabbling tactic may help to justify a Trump pullout of the next debates. Trump can see the debates won't help him since Joe performed strongly. Trump will say it was just a dogfight, even though that was his fault.
I didn't see it as a strong performance by Biden, but the circumstances were difficult. I think that Biden's words come across better seen in print today, because he's not a strong speaker. Biden hung in there, but to me he did seem rattled at times. He missed a number of opportunities to score points directly against what Trump had claimed, too often relying on prepared thoughts rather than effectively parrying Trump. He did, also, let himself be goaded into returning insults and joined in interruption at times. One never really knows, but I suspect almost any of Biden's primary opponents would have managed Trump better than Joe did. Still, I think many viewers will make allowances for Biden faltering in the face of such a barrage of bullying, interruption, and false or ridiculous charges.

Trump will be back. He thinks all of his performances are great, so he'll want his encores.

Are you (or anyone here, for that matter) even curious about fact checking Biden, or is the disdain for Trump so strong that fact checking is no longer relevant?
Last edited by ant on Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
DWill

I'm interested in hearing the results of a fact-check, yes. There may be facts & figures Biden got wrong. PBS indicated one inaccuracy in violent crime statistics he cited. I'll check out what's available.