Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:10 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Dubliners - "The Dead" (Story 15 of 15) 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

Post Re: Dubliners - "The Dead" (Story 15 of 15)
As a descendant of the Irish, this book meant a great deal to me. My own grandparents had many stories.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:52 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I can has reading?

Silver Contributor

I am going to ask Chris to set us up a thread for Portrait of An Artist as a Young Man. How about we set a day and time next week to all be online to begin the discussion? Anyone out there still interested?

Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:21 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

When I first came across the works of James Joyce, I was very unimpressed. Fifty pages of "Ullysses" was more than enough for me and "Finnegan's Wake" was thrown aside after a cursery glance, not to be revisited in this world and only fit for punishment in the next. "Dubliners" was much more my taste and I read it all through. I can't, at this distance in time, remember all the stories, but the one that is the subject of this thread, will forever stay in my mind and will be a favourite of mine well into the future. The story of a family divided by the politics of pre-independence Ireland reminds me of my parents generation, who also split apart, because of the civil war that followed the granting of independence, to that volatile celtic nation. "The Dead" is a tale that I have not read for nearly forty years now. The time to revisit it is overdue. Thanks for the reminder.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009 ... pp_rt#tags

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:13 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Saffron wrote:
I am going to ask Chris to set us up a thread for Portrait of An Artist as a Young Man. How about we set a day and time next week to all be online to begin the discussion? Anyone out there still interested?

Hi Saffron,

I want to join in, but I haven't started the book yet. I'm also balancing a couple of projects right now. I'll be sure to join in at some point (perhaps in August). Sorry to be so iffy.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:32 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4