• In total there are 29 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 29 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rapture doesn't occur?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rapture doesn't occur?

Poll ended at Sun May 22, 2011 1:42 am

After May 21st he will admit he made an error and is not sure where he went wrong with his math.

No votes
After May 21st he will admit an error but suddenly see his error and change the date so the waiting game can continue.

37%
After May 21st he will claim it HAS happened in a peculiar way that only him and select people can perceive.

16%
Before May 21, 2011 he will bump the date back after "discovering" a small error is his math.

11%
Harold is over 90 years old and probably won't live till May 21, 2011.

No votes
After May 21st Harold will take his own life in embarrassment or in an effort to create his own Rapture.

11%
After May 21st he will keep his mouth shut in embarrassment and give no explanations or excuses.

16%
Other - explain your prediction.

11%

Total votes: 19
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rapture doesn't occur?

Unread post

As to videos of Camping's followers, here are some of Robert Fitzpatrick, author of "The Doomsday Code" which predicted a May 21st Judgement Day. He seems genuinely confused by the non-situation on Times Square 5/21/11. Can't find anything after 10/21/11 :roll: again perhaps someone with more skillz can...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzB0ZYi7 ... re=related

Here is some amateur video of him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6hr8RdC ... ure=fvwrel

The above is actually Part 2, Part 1 below starts with people asking him tough questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsN50hB8 ... ure=fvwrel
Last edited by LanDroid on Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Re: What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rapture doesn't occur?

Unread post

Bill Allan, AKA witnessofthetruth, appears to be a prominent advocate for Camping's crap on Youtube, with many videos posted. I can't find any posted after 10/21/11 - I saw a note claiming he deleted many videos, but perhaps someone with more skillz can dig this up.

Here's his Facebook page, where the only statement made after 10/21/11 is the following. I sent him a message asking if he is going to comment on 10/21/11. You might do so as well, I'd like to hear what some of these folks are thinking now...
The hand picked born again Elect, whoever they are, are eternally secure, no matter where they are today, or when in history they lived. The non-elect, have no cover for their sin debt, and never will. God's Word is Absolute Truth, even if we don't understand it!!

11/2/11
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... 01&sk=wall
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

Bill Allan (witnessofthetruth) responded to my request to comment on 10/21/11, but he merely repeats in more detail:
Romans 10:17 declares Christ cometh by HEARING the Word of God. All any of us could ever do was to hear the Word of God. God handles the rest. Either to redeem us or condemn us, based on His Soverign Election process before the world began (Eph 1:4-5; II Tim 1:9: etc). No matter what happens on any given day, the hand picked born again Elect, scattered across human history from every nation, are eternally secure in the Kingdom of God. The non-elect, are condemed to everlasting destruction without remedy.
So I responded as follows, maybe that will get a rise out of him... :x
Unfortunately, due to your poor understanding of Scripture, ridiculous predictions about 5/21/11 and 10/21/11, and unwillingness to confront those failures (and many others), you are part of the Non-Elect. Enjoy eternity.
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

That's funny. How absolutely deluded this guys is. I bet he couldn't even see that logical conclusion coming.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

News from Herald Camping: http://start.toshiba.com/news/read.php? ... %3E&ps=931
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (AP) — A Northern California preacher who spent millions last year to publicize his message of impending global destruction has for the first time acknowledged his apocalyptic prophecy was wrong.

In a letter posted on his independent ministry's site on Thursday, 90-year-old Harold Camping told his followers he has no evidence the world will end anytime soon, and he isn't interested in considering future dates.

"We realize that many people are hoping they will know the date of Christ's return," Camping wrote. "We humbly acknowledge we were wrong about the timing."

Camping's Family Radio International continues its broadcasts from the nonprofit's headquarters in a squat building near the Oakland airport. In recent years, the organization spent millions of dollars — some of it from donations made by followers — putting up thousands of billboards plastered with the Judgment Day message.

After global cataclysm didn't occur on May 21 as he had originally forecast, Camping revised his prophecy, saying he had been off by five months.

Followers were crestfallen in May when the Rapture did not occur, particularly those who had quit their jobs or donated some of their retirement savings or college funds for the more than 5,000 billboards and 20 RVs plastered with the Judgment Day message.

Camping was later hospitalized after suffering a mild stroke, but continued spreading the word that natural disasters would destroy the globe through his website and his weekly "Open Forum" radio show.

Thursday, Camping alerted his flock that he had stopped looking for new dates, and would concentrate on deepening his faith through rereading the Scriptures.

"God has humbled us through the events of May 21," he wrote. "We must also openly acknowledge that we have no new evidence pointing to another date for the end of the world. Though many dates are circulating, Family Radio has no interest in even considering another date."
Last edited by tat tvam asi on Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

It is a little sad to see this old man facing the reality that Jesus isn't coming any time soon. This was serious stuff to him and I don't doubt that he believed his own math and predictions with his whole being. I never like to see dreams get crushed.

It is even sadder to know that the problem here isn't with his understanding or interpretation of the Bible. The problem is the Bible is fiction written by numerous people decades after Jesus died...assuming Jesus even existed. The problem is God is a myth and Jesus returning is a part of that myth.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

I think you're right. Camping was probably convinced of his math and logic and this wasn't some elaborate money making scheme. What's embarrassing is to go back to former youtube videos and taped family radio programs and have to watch yourself strike out at non-believers in this rapture with a vengeance. And then have to reflect on the fact that all of the vengeance and zeal was all for naught...
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Thursday, Camping alerted his flock that he had stopped looking for new dates, and would concentrate on deepening his faith through rereading the Scriptures.

"God has humbled us through the events of May 21," he wrote. "We must also openly acknowledge that we have no new evidence pointing to another date for the end of the world. Though many dates are circulating, Family Radio has no interest in even considering another date."
... and then, by chance, did he give everybody back the tens of millions of dollars he squandered on this bull pucky?

I have no sympathy for this man. He has ruined lives.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Madscribbler
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Agreed, 100%. Without a doubt, one of the most useless predators on the planet. Whether he was actually sincere or delusional doesn't help much. After numerous episodes of chasing windmills he is forced to resign in madness to his hut, as his fabled Dulcinea has turned her mirror away from him....trouble is, his story lacked humor.

Don't even get me started on the other charlatans in his class...such as Pat Robertson...
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

If anyone can find contact information or online info for any of the followers that lost a bunch of money please post it. I'd love to interview them.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”