• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Heart of Darkness: Student Message Board Involvement

#44: Feb. - Mar. 2008 (Fiction)
killax415
Getting Comfortable

Re: Heart of Darkness: Student Message Board Involvement

Unread post

I'm starting to understand the book a little more but not really I have to read it twice sometimes more. I see that in this book there is a lot of deaths which I know for sure is a motif. That motif relates to the title, but I'm wondering if that motif could relate to something more than just the title.
GREEN tURN$ tO BLACk, GREEN $MOkE tO BLACk, GREEN BURNt tO BLACk -REBELUtiON
honeychai
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hi! it's Honey from 1º
Evan
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hmm....what happened to my last post?

I'm Evan from first period. While many of the events in this book are still developing, for example, Marlow still has yet to meet Kurtz, I have heard that this is a story of corruption, evil, and an African genocide in particular. Before I read on, I just wanted to state one point: Europeans alone aren't the only people in history capable of cruelty. For example, in the African triangle trade, Africans were captured and enslaved by other Africans in gunpowder empires. The Europeans simply took advantage of the situation to meet their own ends. I am not trying to take the blame away from them: I just feel like society as a whole often blames the world's problems on a few key events and countries in particular, and thus, the meaning is lost. This book can go beyond simply exposing a single event and expose the cruelty all humans are capable of possessing.

With that said, I look forward to reading on.
Hanna
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hanna G . 2nd period :)
Last edited by Hanna on Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hypertuna

Unread post

Hi Ms. Cossick! It's Hannah C. from 2nd period. :)

I'm not sure if we were supposed to post something related to the Heart of Darkness because not many people did but I'll do it just in case:
Today for the Do Now, we talked about motifs that occurred throughout this book. I put down suffering because there is a lot of suffering that goes on. It's not a big surprise to me though, at the fact that this is what I chose as a motif, only because everyone goes through suffering at some point in their lives. Some examples of suffering are, when the slaves are getting manipulated and taken advantage of. Also, when Marlow goes through realization at all the things that have been happening in Africa that he was unaware of. I am most definitely sure that there will be more when Marlow thinks of a solution to free the slaves and that journey along the way.
aaronyuu
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Aaron Yu
1st Cossick <- Heading. Don't subtract points from me.
4/19/10
Princey
Official Newbie!

Unread post

HW:
hi. this is Eugene from 2nd period.
when i first read this book, i had no idea what was going on. so i had to reread. but that's still not enough because this book's narrator just goes on and on. so its really easy to skip or miss some things that are important. such as, who is the unknown narrator? i mean, what kind of person is he? and why is he retelling the story in a way like he experienced it himself? :?: :?: :?: these questions are making me wonder and to interpret the book in my own ways.
honeychai
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Homework: Comment on HOD

This book has many large vocabulary, but after reading it twice and defining the words, i am able to understand it better. There are also metaphor usage in the story. Sometimes it's not easy to figure out the meaning behind it, but as we read further, we will eventually find the meaning.
juyu5
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Julian Yu! :) 1st period!
iflorax3
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Flora from 1st Period. =]

Return to “Heart of Darkness - by Joseph Conrad”