• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Astrological Ideas in The Extended Phenotype

#73: Nov. - Dec. 2009 (Non-Fiction)
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Astrological Ideas in The Extended Phenotype

Unread post

In what way does 179 years relate to the great age? The numbers don't match.

The net effect of what you're suggesting is that the center of mass of the solar system affects life on Earth? Did you incorporate all massive bodies into your formulas? The asteroids in the kuiper belt and such? Does the barycenter occur at the precise same point with relation to Earth every 179 years?

This still doesn't explain what the net effect would be as a discrete physical effect every 2148 years.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Interbane wrote:In what way does 179 years relate to the great age? The numbers don't match.
In rounded numbers, 179 x 12 = 2148, 2148 x 12 = 25776.
In more exact numbers, 178.92 x 12 = 2147.04, 2147.04 x 12 = 25764.48.

The 1/144 SSB/GY ratio is extremely close.
The net effect of what you're suggesting is that the center of mass of the solar system affects life on Earth? Did you incorporate all massive bodies into your formulas? The asteroids in the kuiper belt and such? Does the barycenter occur at the precise same point with relation to Earth every 179 years?
That's easy Interbane, and shows you have not read the text at my solar system planet clock closely enough, where I state
Planetary influence on the centre of mass is shown by the barycentric formula r = a/(1+m1/m2), where r is the radius of the sun, a is the distance from the sun to a planet, m1 is the mass of the sun and m2 is the mass of the planet. The relative effects of the planets on the barycenter given by this formula are Jupiter 49%, Saturn 27%, Neptune 15% and Ouranos 8%. The four inner planets in total have 0.1% of Jupiter’s effect on the barycenter. These relative planetary effects are readily seen by examining a graph of the barycenter-sun distance over time, in which the three biggest planets produce a wave function with period 179 years, or 1/144th of the Great Year of the earth.
Each JSN conjunction every 179 years occurs thirty degrees further around the ecliptic, as shown in my planet clock, so over the period of the Age there is one conjunction in each of the twelve signs of the zodiac within a conjunction family.
This still doesn't explain what the net effect would be as a discrete physical effect every 2148 years.
You are quite correct here. I am arguing this is a deep rhythm encoded into all life on earth. Quantifying its effects is rather like getting data for Dr Dawkins' hypothetical slow wind. I tend to think of it on the Indian causal model of karma, with the idea that causality has slow waves with period one age. It means we are now getting to the stage of the Age of Pisces that the Age of Aries reached in 140 BC, just as we are now getting to the same point of the year that we reached on this date last year and every year before that. The annual climate is steady, although the weather differs a lot. This is highly speculative, but I suggest provides fertile ground for historical analysis.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

You are quite correct here. I am arguing this is a deep rhythm encoded into all life on earth. Quantifying its effects is rather like getting data for Dr Dawkins' hypothetical slow wind
How would this rhythm encode itself into life on Earth? This is so much more far reaching than suggesting an adaptation, such as can be found in organisms responding to the rising and falling of tides.

In any case, small gravitational shifts are not comparable to wind. Extremely weak wind has direction and is constant, if only on average. This was my problem originally, and the one I keep referring to. Why does life on Earth care about the barycenter of the solar system? Exceptionally weak wind I could hypothesize, it's practical. Astrological influences is nothing more than grasping at straws. In what ways do you hypothesize life would be affected? Humor me, I bet you can't even form a good hypothesis! That's reverse psychology, not an insult.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
You are quite correct here. I am arguing this is a deep rhythm encoded into all life on earth. Quantifying its effects is rather like getting data for Dr Dawkins' hypothetical slow wind.
How would this rhythm encode itself into life on Earth? This is so much more far reaching than suggesting an adaptation, such as can be found in organisms responding to the rising and falling of tides. In any case, small gravitational shifts are not comparable to wind. Extremely weak wind has direction and is constant, if only on average. This was my problem originally, and the one I keep referring to. Why does life on Earth care about the barycenter of the solar system? Exceptionally weak wind I could hypothesize, it's practical. Astrological influences is nothing more than grasping at straws. In what ways do you hypothesize life would be affected? Humor me, I bet you can't even form a good hypothesis! That's reverse psychology, not an insult.
The main long term cycle of the earth, after the day and the year, is the Great Year. The Great Year is written in to the Bible as the structure of the Holy City, providing inductive evidence for the deductive reasoning from the astronomy of the Great Year, much as the observation of precession of the perihelion of Mercury provided inductive evidence for the deductive mathematics of relativity.

If we hypothesise a microbe living on a gyroscope with stable wobble for billions of years, we can well imagine that it could internalise the wobble in its DNA. Exactly the same thing applies for the earth. Now, if this hypothetical gyroscope is within a gravitational field with a weak pulse with period precisely 1/144th of the wobble period, how would this manifest? This is the situation for the earth. My claim is that the pulsing field of the center of mass may not have direct effect, but may be sufficient to provide a regular structure to the earth's wobble. Triple conjunctions of Jupiter, Saturn and Neptune every 179 years form a barycenter wave pattern, shown in my essay The Gas Giant Planets, The Holy City and the Great Year. These triple conjunctions circle the ecliptic every 2148 years due to each conjunction in a family occurring almost precisely one zodiac sign past the last one, so, in simplified terms, after twelve events the conjunction is in about the same place. The 2148 year return period of the JSN conjunctions may well aggregate its effect, in harmony with the Great Year, such that a temporal cycle of 2148 years duration is established on earth.

How I see that life would be affected derives from the claim that the signs produce an annual rhythm, caused by the solstices and equinoxes, with cusps around the 21st of each month. Although this rhythm is too weak to be seen in statistical analysis to date, my view is that is because of weak research models, and that larger and more systematic epidemiological studies will show sign effects as real. Gauquelin did not find any evidence for signs in his research, although he found compelling evidence for planetary effects.

The present state of play is that astrology has the status of a pseudo-science because of lack of evidence. My claim is that starting from the longest regular periods of the earth provides a more scientific way into the subject matter than psychological analysis of horoscopes, a topic that now generally relies more on symbolic imagination than mathematical evidence of the sort I am providing here.

Here is a gospel song I have written about this material

Seven days of creation, into the seventh day.
Twenty four hours of the Day of Brahm, into the third hour.

On the first day of creation, Adam and Eve fell from the Garden of Eden
On the first day.

On the second day of creation, Noah and his Ark survived the flood.
On the second day.

On the third day of creation, Abraham married Sarah of the Vedas.
On the third day.

On the fourth day of creation, King David brought the Ark to Jerusalem
On the fourth Day

On the fifth day of creation came Jesus Christ, the alpha and omega, the sun of love
On the fifth day

The sixth day of creation was the dawn of modern times.
On the sixth day.

And the seventh day is the sabbath day, the healing day, the day of peace
Into the seventh day.

There are twenty four hours in the day of Brahm, into the third hour.
There are seven days of creation, the future is the seventh day.

Robert Tulip
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Robert, I'd be a fool not to respect your intellect, but it seems so clear to me that your hunger for transcendence is the powerful force behind your insistence on astrological science. You won't like this comparison, but it is the best way I can make my point. Creation scientists also have the accoutrements of science behnd them. They have their data and schematics to create the impression of empiricism. But they know going in what their data must prove; they already assume the theory to be true, so it is just a matter of their arranging the facts to line up with it.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

If we hypothesise a microbe living on a gyroscope with stable wobble for billions of years, we can well imagine that it could internalise the wobble in its DNA.
Why would we hypothesize that it would internalize the wobble, whatever that means? In any case, a wobble of a gyroscope is a detectable effect. You're desperately hoping that life may possibly be sensitive to forces that border on the nonexistant. If some form of life is able to form the sensitivity to this wobble, you're then desperately hoping that it will somehow, someway, adapt to it with a mutation or two. I'm not sure why an organism would do this, it would be more random chance than out of selective pressure. Even then, for the next hundred generations of it's species, the incredibly weak forces would be different. Different until this family of organisms just so happens to find a home of ten feet higher elevation, rendering the sensitivty obsolete.
Gauquelin did not find any evidence for signs in his research, although he found compelling evidence for planetary effects.
Why do you vilify those who seek to keep the scientific process clean? You side with the person whose data you want to be correct. What makes you think his experiment wasn't truly flawed, as any person familiar with human bias will tell you that this is the most likely case? What other scientists in equally dubious positions have you dismissed out of hand, without realizing? It's a bad question, since you won't also remember them.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

DWill wrote:Robert, I'd be a fool not to respect your intellect, but it seems so clear to me that your hunger for transcendence is the powerful force behind your insistence on astrological science. You won't like this comparison, but it is the best way I can make my point. Creation scientists also have the accoutrements of science behnd them. They have their data and schematics to create the impression of empiricism. But they know going in what their data must prove; they already assume the theory to be true, so it is just a matter of their arranging the facts to line up with it.
What I am doing here is not like creation science which has been thoroughly disproved. No one will find inconsistencies between my claims and empirical observation for the simple reason that there are none, because my work is based on observation and scientific method. There is no "impression of empiricism", but rather actual empirical study of an area that has been neglected. Any errors detected I am more than happy to correct.

__________ 19 Jan 2010 05:19 __________
Interbane wrote:
Gauquelin did not find any evidence for signs in his research, although he found compelling evidence for planetary effects.
Why do you vilify those who seek to keep the scientific process clean? You side with the person whose data you want to be correct. What makes you think his experiment wasn't truly flawed, as any person familiar with human bias will tell you that this is the most likely case? What other scientists in equally dubious positions have you dismissed out of hand, without realizing? It's a bad question, since you won't also remember them.
If only you knew how wrong your comment about the scientific process is!! Please read below the obvious evidence of corruption in the 'scientific' review of Gauqelin's work.

Here is a summary on Gauquelin
The Gauquelin Controversy
by Maria J. Mateus
as chronicled by John Anthony West in The Case for Astrology

Michel Gauquelin (1928-1991)
Michel Gauquelin was a graduate in statistics and psychology from the Sorbonne who, together with his wife Francoise, conducted the most significant body of statistical research in astrology to date. While his work does not substantiate some canons of traditional astrology, it conclusively vindicates astrology's fundamental premise: that there this a relationship between the planets' positions at the moment of birth and the direction of individual lives.

The body of Gauquelin's work extends over a period of 23 years (1949 -1973) and involved research into questions of professional studies; heredity studies; and character trait studies. By far the studies receiving the most notoriety involved correlations between the position of a planet in the natal chart and a person's chosen profession. Because of its extremely significant positive results, the most famous of these studies is commonly known as "the Mars effect".

Gauquelin's Findings (1955)
Gauquelin's preliminary profession findings involved two studies: the one comprised of a group of 576 birth charts revealed a correlation of Mars and Saturn with physicians at a chance level in the millions to one. The second study involving 508 births revealed the same results for other professions correlating them with their traditionally related planets: Mars with athletes, Saturn with scientists, the Moon with writers, and Jupiter with actors and politicians. These findings only applied to eminent professionals and were not present in the charts of average professionals. The significance level for some of these correlations was also in the millions to one chance level. The research was published in 1955 in L’influence des Astres, where Michel argued that what he was demonstrating was not evidence of astrology, but some other celestial influence. This work was ignored by his academic colleagues until Michel set about seeking professional peer review.

The Skeptics Respond
After much cajoling by Gaquelin for a peer review, the 1st critique came from Marcel Boll, a well-known French science-writer and member of the The Belgian Committee for the Investigation of Paranormal Phenomena (The Belgian Para Committee hereafter). His main objection was that the study used only birth data from France, which he claimed resulted in a national fluke. Had Gauquelin selected birth records from other countries, went Boll's logic, the results would be no better than chance! Any statistician would know that this objection was statistically ridiculous.

Professor Dauvillier, a Professor of Cosmic Physics at the College of France, replied that the correlation was a result of insufficient sample size.

Gauquelin Answers (1960)
Michel answered both challenges (even though the 1st was an illogical criticism) by collecting a database of 25,000 birth records in Germany, Italy, Belgium and the Netherlands. (England did not record birth times back then). The results of the replication study with European data were identical and just as significant showing the same planets in key sectors of the chart correlating with eminence in specific professions. There were some national variations but the results repeated significantly in the same direction as the original studies. A control group of non-specialized professions did not show any affect. The European studies were published in 1960 in Les Hommes et les Astres at the Gauquelin's own cost.

The Heredity Studies
During the 1960s, the Gauquelins conducted another massive study that examined astrological relationships between parents and their children. The 30,000 size sample of ordinary French citizens and their children revealed that when planets had certain planets in Sectors 1 and 4 of the charts, their children were also likely to have the same planets in the same sectors. The correlations between particular planets – such as the Moon, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn – were stronger in that order. The significance level was 1 million to 1. Induced or Caesarean births did not show this pattern.

The Character Traits Studies
In the 1970s, Gauquelin then ran character trait analyses studies which grouped the 4 previously studied professions according to personality traits – collected from the biographical data -- which comprised a profile for each profession. The results correlated the profiles with the same planets in the same sectors. The atypical profiles also correlated negatively with the significant sectors. In 1980, this study was replicated in America, yielding identically positive results.

Gauquelin vs. The Belgian Para Committee (1965)
Five years after having addressed the Belgian Committee's ridiculous demographic objection to his original profession studies and subsequently being ignored by them, Gauquelin again proposed replications of his Mars effect on sports champions study by both he and the Committee. The procedural details were agreed upon and each side conducted their own tests. The results for both sides exactly matched the findings of Gauquelin's original experiments. The Committee refrained from publishing their findings until Gauquelin decided to publish his own. Although they could not identify any problems with the methodology they had agreed to, the Committee nonetheless explained away the results as a product of a demographic error which they did not identity or show evidence for.

CSICOP and the Zelen Test (1977)
The Gauquelin controversy reached the US in 1975 when a manifesto attacking astrology and signed by 186 eminent scientists appeared in The Humanist magazine. Gauquelin found his work ignorantly attacked and was forced to defend it through his own reply to the scientific publication. A professor of statistical science at Harvard and member of the Commitee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal (CSICOP hereafter), by the name of Marvin Zelen got involved in the debate and proposed his own study to test the "demographic error" argued by the Belgian Commitee. The Zelen test, as it became known, examined the charts of average individuals born on the same day and general location as the Mars sports champions in Gauquelin's study. The idea was that if the effect was due to demographics and not the planets, the same effect would show up with ordinary citizens. The results not only vindicated Gauquelin, but also served to demolish the demographics argument once and for all. Not wanting to publish findings supportive of astrological effects, CSICOP changed the rules and re-spun the study of non-champions, into a re-examination of the Mars effect on sports champions. Knowing that the group of 303 would show an effect, the test group was broken down into smaller sub-samples so as to water down the effect into meaninglessness. Even so, the KZA (Kurtz, Zelen, Abel) report could not hide the smell of nonscientific conduct.

The American Replication (1979-80)
Knowing how badly the Zelen test made them look, the KZA report concluded that an American replication with someone other than Gauquelin collecting the data was needed. Gauquelin happily accepted and provided CSICOP the exact procedures that he had followed in his Mars Effect studies. These stipulations required that the sample only include eminent sports champions since the effect was not present in non-eminent professionals. Paul Kurtz (chairman of CSICOP) collected the data and astronomer Dennis Rawlins conducted the statistical analyses. As Kurtz sent Rawlins the data (and unsolicited cash) he asked Rawlins to give him confidential periodic advanced looks at the results. As the batches of names came in, the sample the percentages for Mars in the key sectors kept mysteriously declining. What was initially an expected effect of 22% for the first batch of names, incrementally dropped not only to the 16% expected by chance, but it ended at 13% (below what chance would indicate p=.02) with the submission of 82 late inclusions that Kurtz had "accidentally forgotten" to send. Naturally, the doctored findings published in the Skeptical Enquirer did not confirm Gauquelin's work.

Dennis Rawlins and sTARBABY (1981)
We would have been none the wiser to the behind the scenes shenanigans exhibited by CSICOP and might have found the American findings of both the Zelen test and the Mars replication perfectly legitimate were it not for the excommunication of one of their involved members, Dennis Rawlins. The acrimony between Rawlins and CSICOP began with the Zelen test and continued through the replication study even while he himself was conducting the statistics. Rawlins' own account of the events that transpired during the Gauquelin investigations provides testimonial evidence that KZA knew they were in trouble and not only deliberately butchered the Zelen test, but doctored the data in the replication study as well.

The Aftermath
Gauquelin challenged the study in a series of voluminous correspondence that was selectively published and edited in the Skeptical Inquirer. Rawlins was not permitted by the magazine to voice his dissent (hence, the sTARBABY publication in the 1981 issue of Fate magazine). Subsequent objective investigations by historian Patrick Curry concluding that the US study was not a legitimate replication of the Gauquelin study, prompted Gauquelin to propose a new European replication with written down rules and an airtight verification treaty. When he did not get a reply, Gauquelin carried out the study himself with the usual expected results he and others had obtained countless times before. Suddenly CSICOP came alive only to attack the methodology after the fact. In "A Reappraisal" published in the Skeptical Inquirer, K.Z.A. admit to varying degrees of carelessness in handling of the US studies and in neglecting to mention that the Zelen test actually confirmed the chance level calculations in the non-professional samples, but evade Rawlins' published charges of academic dishonesty and fraud.

The Ertel Report
While CSICOP was still insisting that there was some as yet undetected bias in Gauquelin's selection criteria for the Mars samples, they did nothing to try to detect it. Instead, an unaffiliated psychology professor from Gottingen University by the name of Suitbert Ertel set about establishing a more rigorous and consistent way of defining eminence, hoping in the process that this might be the flaw that accounted for the extraordinary correlations. Thus, when the athletes were separated out into groups with varying degrees of eminence, Ertel found that the results precisely indicated what Gauquelin himself had found -- that the more eminent the athlete the stronger the effect. Furthermore, when Ertel corrected for Gauquelin's inconsistencies in methodology from one study to the next, the Mars effect was enhanced, not diminished. Ertel's study not only conclusively put to rest the notion that there was a selection bias -- either unconscious or deliberate -- in Gauquelin's methodology, it also vindicated his findings. The Skeptical Inquirer refused to publish Ertel's report claiming that the language was too technical, despite the fact that it boasts amongst its readership some of the most brilliant scientists and academics. The work was published instead in the Journal for Scientific Exploration (#3).

© Valentino Salvato 2007
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

If only you knew how wrong your comment about the scientific process is!! Please read below the obvious evidence of corruption in the 'scientific' review of Gauqelin's work.
If there's anything I know well, it's the scientific process. The source you cited is biased, just as I am biased, just as you are biased.

"The Mars Effect hypothesis was based on data collected by Gauquelin. The evidence for Gauquelin's massive bias is compelling. No value can be attached to the hypotheses these data gave rise to. This does not imply any willful deceit on the part of Gauquelin. The eminent physicist René Blondlot never gave up believing in his nonexistent N-rays and died 27 years after his 'discovery'. The academician Boris Deryagin acknowledged after ten years he was mistaken about polywater. Two-time Nobel laureate Linus Pauling never gave up his belief in vitamin C, even though clear clinical evidence never materialized. Even the best scientists can be trapped in illusions of their own making. Michel Gauquelin has died in 1991. His archive is gone, and no one knows what he would have said upon confrontation with his bias. Let's leave it that and move on to more fruitful research."

The full explanation of the effects of his bias are here: http://www.skepsis.nl/mars.html

Also, correlation does not equal causation. Why are the majority of professional hockey players born in January? Does the December solstice purport some effect into the unborn fetus at that late stage in pregnancy?

This is pseudoscience, and you're buying it hook line and sinker.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
If we hypothesise a microbe living on a gyroscope with stable wobble for billions of years, we can well imagine that it could internalise the wobble in its DNA.
Why would we hypothesize that it would internalize the wobble, whatever that means? In any case, a wobble of a gyroscope is a detectable effect. You're desperately hoping that life may possibly be sensitive to forces that border on the nonexistant. If some form of life is able to form the sensitivity to this wobble, you're then desperately hoping that it will somehow, someway, adapt to it with a mutation or two. I'm not sure why an organism would do this, it would be more random chance than out of selective pressure. Even then, for the next hundred generations of it's species, the incredibly weak forces would be different. Different until this family of organisms just so happens to find a home of ten feet higher elevation, rendering the sensitivty obsolete.
DNA is a double helix. Interestingly, the solar system has a stable helical structure that pre-dates DNA. My model of 179 years of the helical structure of the solar system is photographed in my paper on The Gas Giant Planets, the Holy City and the Great Year. The Great Year consists of 144 of these 179 year models stacked on top of each other. This is hardly a "force that borders on the nonexistent", but rather an actual temporal structure that is reinforced and constituted by the spin wobble of the earth and the wobble of the system as a whole, in mutual resonance.

Your model of mutation is not right. Rather, the situation is that the helical structure of time forms the material context for the helical structure of DNA, which is entirely within the stable cosmic patterns of the cycles of the solar system. The structure of time for the solar system is encoded in all DNA from the start as its empirical foundation. Things partake of their birth conditions. Minor change in initial conditions cause major phenotypic differences.

In a different solar system from ours, the 60-base numbering system we use might not have evolved. We might be able to model a solar system structure that did not exhibit twelve-fold resonance to produce a clock with a base other than 60. For example if the gas giants and earth resonated against the number ten, rather than twelve, with 100 conjunctions in the earth's spin wobble period rather than the observed number of 144, we could work out planetary orbital and wobble periods that would produce a ten-base clock.

Our earth evolved within stable twelve-fold patterns, forming the temporal origin for our sixty-base clock. My solar system star clock operates perfectly on the multiple cached scales of the Great Year (25765 years), the Zodiacal Age (2148 years), the Solar System Barycenter period (179 years), the year, the day, half a day, the hour, the minute, and, as the fundamental unit of time, the second. Saturn and Neptune, meeting every 35.8 years, form the seconds of the minute and the minutes of the hour of earth's Zodiacal Age of 2148 years (2148 = 35.8 x 60) . This logical empirical analysis of the structure of time is not refutable because it is true. Any one who studies this material will readily form this conclusion. These numbers are based squarely on objective planetary data, the list of planetary positions used by science for space flight. It presents a basic challenge to scientific orthodoxy, opening a large new field in cyclic empirics. Apply all the tests you like.

__________ 19 Jan 2010 06:26 __________
Interbane wrote:The full explanation of the effects of his bias are here: http://www.skepsis.nl/mars.html
This skepsis paper is garbage. I invite readers to compare the rival histories of the Gauquelin controversy. There is clear evidence of data-tampering by Gauquelin's so-called skeptical critics, while Gauquelin's work stands as providing abundant objective proof of planetary effects. The allegations of bias are wrong, aimed solely to deflect the challenge presented to the reigning paradigm of linear progress through scientific modernity. Gauquelin is the Galileo of the twentieth century.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

This skepsis paper is garbage. I invite readers to compare the rival histories of the Gauquelin controversy. There is clear evidence of data-tampering by Gauquelin's so-called skeptical critics, while Gauquelin's work stands as providing abundant objective proof of planetary effects.
On the contrary, Gauquelin's work is shown to be biased. The controversy caused by CSICOP's tampering of the evidence is a rallying call for paranormal advocates worldwide. This most certainly doesn't mean Gauquelin was right, it just means CSICOP was fraudulent. Read this book: Benski, C., et al. The Mars Effect. 1996, Prometheus Books.

The Mars Effect is garbage.

DNA is a double helix. Interestingly, the solar system has a stable helical structure that pre-dates DNA.
In all the pictures of the solar system, I've never seen such a structure. Perhaps you're talking about a visual representation of motion in a 179 year process? This is a visual representation silly, not something physical. What the tangible effect for an Earthly organism would be are nothing more than alterations in gravity bordering on the nonexistant. Yes, these forces border on the nonexistant, as far as an organism is concerned. There is more gravity from a nearby tree than there is from some planet!!! You are blind to how ridiculous this is, you're acting like Stahrwe.
Your model of mutation is not right. Rather, the situation is that the helical structure of time forms the material context for the helical structure of DNA, which is entirely within the stable cosmic patterns of the cycles of the solar system.
There is no helical structure to time. You're mistaking a visual 2d model for something physical. Do you understand what I mean when I mention net effect? I mean, what is physically detectable here on Earth? Let's pretend there may at one point have been an organism so sensitive to gravity that it could detect these infinitesimal fluctuations. The instant it changed elevation or moved next to an object with mass, it's readings would jump all over the place, it would lose track of anything beyond Earth. Continental drift would raise or lower the organism, affecting gravity more drastically than the 179 year change caused by the shifting barycenter. A raincloud in the sky would cause a change more massive than the shifting barycenter. After a lifetime of confused readings, this organism would have to record it's information somehow, hoping that the next 100 generations would do the same, so that by the time 179 years rolls around, it's information is embedded somewhere in one of it's distant decendants so that a pattern might possibly start to emerge, which actually wouldn't happen for another 179 years. That's considering each decendant is able to somehow biologically filter out all the confusing variables such as trees and rocks and elevation and weather and continental drift and comets and night and day and a great grandfather's mutation, etc etc. Which would of course be impossible. Now, considering the impossible possible, the species would then have to be concerned with this infinitesimal background gravitational fluctuation that started 100 generations or more ago. Let's say a situation occured, where the organism was jumping to grasp at food. It's ancestor, some 50 generations ago, would have missed the fruit by a fraction of a nanometre(go figure). So, the DNA somehow magically remembers the failure of the ancestor and decides only to jump for fruit that is a fraction of a nanometer higher once every 179 years.

But you're talking about something different(you must be). You're talking about the chemical interactions that originally formed DNA, right? So, in the timeline of competing protein chains, days or weeks, the effects of infinitesimal gravitational forces(with all confusing variables) is supposed to affect the physical structure of DNA itself as it (very)slightly shifts over the course of 179 years?
Minor change in initial conditions cause major phenotypic differences.
Those words sound good in theory and are often applicable, but not here. What you're suggesting isn't a minor change. It's not a change at all. It's an infinitesimal gradation whose actual variance is infinitesimal. It is cancelled out by local noise.

You're also jumping between the helical structure of DNA, and an organism's phenotype. Which one are you referring to?

What would the phenotypic effect be without the 'initial conditions' that you're proposing? Can you hypothesize the difference? Would famous people stop dying every 2148 years seperate from other important events? Would we have developed a third eye?

With regards to the DNA, the helix is a general response to the stacking up of single monomer units into a polymer, which means DNA can’t help being a helix.

So the chain of causality must by necessity include an explanation for how infinitesimal gravitational variations dictated that life be composed of monomers and polymers. Not only this, but those infinitesimal gravitational variations would do this 'intelligently!', since they would want DNA to resemble the orbits their parent planets go through(not really, only in a reduced dimensional analogy) over the course of 179 years.

What I'm guessing you'll say is that you have no clue how the helix (analogy) of the solar system has incredible influence on how DNA formed, but that the coincidence is too large to neglect. Is that what you'd say? Do you think it's a coincidence that's too large to neglect? Is the face of the virgin mary on a piece of toast too much of a coincidence to neglect?

How can you throw away so much of what you know about human bias and false pattern seeking and continue to pursue this lunacy?
This logical empirical analysis of the structure of time is not refutable because it is true. Any one who studies this material will readily form this conclusion. These numbers are based squarely on objective planetary data, the list of planetary positions used by science for space flight. It presents a basic challenge to scientific orthodoxy, opening a large new field in cyclic empirics. Apply all the tests you like.
Eh? What is the challenge to scientific orthodoxy? You're lining up ducks. No one would refute that there are patterns here. Well, maybe they would if you were wrong. But this is inconsequential. These patterns are meaningless. You are putting meaning into them.
We might be able to model a solar system structure that did not exhibit twelve-fold resonance to produce a clock with a base other than 60.
Ours doesn't exhibit a 12 fold resonance. The only correlation is on paper. Is there some large gong sound the 12th time the barycenter cycles? Does someone jump out and yell 'ding'?

Return to “The Extended Phenotype: The Long Reach of the Gene - by Richard Dawkins”