• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Why is Don Quixote such a classic?

#82: April - May 2010 (Fiction)
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Re: Why is Don Quixote such a classic?

Unread post

Yes, DWill, it was Cide Hamete who said that the tricksters were as mad as the tricked, which answered the question I had asked before I read up to that point, so I made it a point to write down the page and paragraph where he said that. I mentioned it in my post in the thread Don Quixote: Part II.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Why is Don Quixote such a classic?

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:Yes, DWill, it was Cide Hamete who said that the tricksters were as mad as the tricked, which answered the question I had asked before I read up to that point, so I made it a point to write down the page and paragraph where he said that. I mentioned it in my post in the thread Don Quixote: Part II.
Thanks. I read a few pages farther, and found Sancho saying that only the book by Cide Hamete contains the authentic exploits of Sancho and his master. So that answered my question about more narrative wrinkles. It boggles my mind to think about Cide Hamete supposedly writing the sentence in which Sancho says that Cide Hamete is the authentic historian!
Last edited by DWill on Sun May 02, 2010 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Don Quixote - Translated by Edith Grossman”