• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

"the gravity of a girl," or The Genius of Suzanne

#116: Feb. - April 2013 (Fiction)
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

"the gravity of a girl," or The Genius of Suzanne

Unread post

As a personal confession I admit to being stymied by the concluding paragraph of The Man Who Was Thursday. It seemed disjointed from the rest of the novel and unimportant. Yet, the final paragraph of a story should at least be as important as the beginning one; perhaps even more important as we have met all the characters and encountered all of the plot elements by the end of the book. The concluding paragraph should ether tie everything together, or create closure of some kind. The final paragraph of TMWWT for me, did neither.
So, I enlisted a BT moderator for her help and she did not disappoint.

Here is the concluding paragraph of TMWWT
Spoiler
Dawn was breaking over everything in colours at once clear and timid; as if Nature made a first attempt at yellow and a first attempt at rose. A breeze blew so clean and sweet, that one could not think that it blew from the sky; it blew rather through some hole in the sky. Syme felt a simple surprise when he saw rising all round him on both sides of the road the red, irregular buildings of Saffron Park. He had no idea that he had walked so near London. He walked by instinct along one white road, on which early birds hopped and sang, and found himself outside a fenced garden. There he saw the sister of Gregory, the girl with the gold-red hair, cutting lilac before breakfast, with the great unconscious gravity of a girl.
THE END

We have met the sister of Gregory earlier. He name is Rosamond. Syme, the protagonist of the book has a conversation with her back in Chapter 1 but, what is she doing here. I didn’t get it so I asked Suzanne for her take on it and here is what she said.
". . . great unconscious gravity of a girl", this sounds sinister to me. Gregory, with his flaming red hair is the bad guy, or devil of the story. It is my impression that Gregory had a mission and that mission failed. Since the novel reverts back to where Gregory and Syme are once again talking as poets, this may mean that the nightmare may begin again. Which makes sense, this type of confrontation, this soul searching if you will is circular and never ending. However, this time around, Rosamond may take the place of Gregory. My take on this last sentence is, Syme sees this girl, unconsciously sees her as innocent and pure, (image bolstered by lilac) in the springtime setting,(springtime when everything is new and starts again) but does not see the gravity of what this girl may represent during his next nightmare. (Wolf in sheeps clothing, you unconsciously see the sheep as cute and cuddly but do not understand the gravity of the danger) I do believe the last sentence is to warn the reader that this nightmare is about to happen again. Rosamond is cutting lilacs, cutting innocence, knowing the gravity of replacing Gregory with a girl in the next nightmare. A seemingly innocent girl may have more success than a wild man with a burning head.
Here is the passage from Chapter 1 where we meet Rosamond.
The man with the meek blue eyes and the pale, pointed beard endured these thunders with a certain submissive solemnity. The third party of the group, Gregory’s sister Rosamond, who had her brother’s braids of red hair, but a kindlier face underneath them, laughed with such mixture of admiration and disapproval as she gave commonly to the family oracle.

Gregory resumed in high oratorical good humour.

“An artist is identical with an anarchist,” he cried. “You might transpose the words anywhere.
An anarchist is an artist. The man who throws a bomb is an artist, because he prefers a great moment to everything. He sees how much more valuable is one burst of blazing light, one peal of perfect thunder, than the mere common bodies of a few shapeless policemen. An artist disregards all governments, abolishes all conventions. The poet delights in disorder only. If it were not so, the most poetical thing in the world would be the Underground Railway.”

“So it is,” said Mr. Syme.

“Nonsense! ” said Gregory, who was very rational when anyone else attempted paradox. “Why
do all the clerks and navvies in the railway trains look so sad and tired, so very sad and tired? I will tell you. It is because they know that the train is going right. It is because they know that whatever place they have taken a ticket for that place they will reach. It is because after they have passed Sloane Square they know that the next station must be Victoria, and nothing but Victoria. Oh, their wild rapture! oh, their eyes like stars and their souls again in Eden, if the next station were unaccountably Baker Street!”

“It is you who are unpoetical,” replied the poet Syme. “If what you say of clerks is true, they
can only be as prosaic as your poetry. The rare, strange thing is to hit the mark; the gross, obvious thing is to miss it. We feel it is epical when man with one wild arrow strikes a distant bird. Is it not also epical when man with one wild engine strikes a distant station? Chaos is dull; because in chaos the train might indeed go anywhere, to Baker Street or to Bagdad. But man is a magician, and his whole magic is in this, that he does say Victoria, and lo! it is Victoria. No, take your books of mere poetry and prose; let me read a time table, with tears of pride. Take your Byron, who commemorates the defeats of man; give me Bradshaw, who commemorates his victories. Give me Bradshaw, I say!”

“Must you go?” inquired Gregory sarcastically.

“I tell you,” went on Syme with passion, “that every time a train comes in I feel that it has
broken past batteries of besiegers, and that man has won a battle against chaos. You say
contemptuously that when one has left Sloane Square one must come to Victoria. I say that one might do a thousand things instead, and that whenever I really come there I have the sense of hairbreadth escape. And when I hear the guard shout out the word ‘Victoria,’ it is not an unmeaning word. It is to me the cry of a herald announcing conquest. It is to me indeed ‘Victoria’; it is the victory of Adam.”

Gregory wagged his heavy, red head with a slow and sad smile.
“And even then,” he said, “we poets always ask the question, ‘And what is Victoria now that
you have got there ?’ You think Victoria is like the New Jerusalem. We know that the New Jerusalem will only be like Victoria. Yes, the poet will be discontented even in the streets of heaven. The poet is always in revolt.”

“There again,” said Syme irritably, “what is there poetical about being in revolt ? You might
as well say that it is poetical to be sea-sick. Being sick is a revolt. Both being sick and being
rebellious may be the wholesome thing on certain desperate occasions; but I’m hanged if I can see why they are poetical. Revolt in the abstract is—revolting. It’s mere vomiting.”

The girl winced for a flash at the unpleasant word, but Syme was too hot to heed her.

“It is things going right,” he cried, “that is poetical I Our digestions, for instance, going sacredly and silently right, that is the foundation of all poetry. Yes, the most poetical thing, more poetical than the flowers, more poetical than the stars—the most poetical thing in the world is not beingsick.”

“Really,” said Gregory superciliously, “the examples you choose—”

“I beg your pardon,” said Syme grimly, “I forgot we had abolished all conventions.”

For the first time a red patch appeared on Gregory’s forehead.
“You don’t expect me,” he said, “to revolutionise society on this lawn ?”

Syme looked straight into his eyes and smiled sweetly.
“No, I don’t,” he said; “but I suppose that if you were serious about your anarchism, that is
exactly what you would do.”

Gregory’s big bull’s eyes blinked suddenly like those of an angry lion, and one could almost
fancy that his red mane rose.
“Don’t you think, then,” he said in a dangerous voice, “that I am serious about my anarchism?”

“I beg your pardon ?” said Syme.

“Am I not serious about my anarchism ?” cried Gregory, with knotted fists.

“My dear fellow!” said Syme, and strolled away.
With surprise, but with a curious pleasure, he found Rosamond Gregory still in his company.

“Mr. Syme,” she said, “do the people who talk like you and my brother often mean what they
say ? Do you mean what you say now?”

Syme smiled.

“Do you ?” he asked.

“What do you mean ?” asked the girl, with grave eyes.

“My dear Miss Gregory,” said Syme gently, “there are many kinds of sincerity and insincerity.
When you say ‘thank you’ for the salt, do you mean what you say ? No. When you say ‘the world is round,’ do you mean what you say ? No. It is true, but you don’t mean it. Now, sometimes a manlike your brother really finds a thing he does mean. It may be only a half-truth, quarter-truth, tenth-truth; but then he says more than he means—from sheer force of meaning it.”

She was looking at him from under level brows; her face was grave and open, and there had
fallen upon it the shadow of that unreasoning responsibility which is at the bottom of the most frivolous woman, the maternal watch which is as old as the world.

“Is he really an anarchist, then?” she asked.

“Only in that sense I speak of,” replied Syme; “or if you prefer it, in that nonsense.”
She drew her broad brows together and said abruptly—“He wouldn’t really use—bombs or that sort of thing?”

Syme broke into a great laugh, that seemed too large for his slight and somewhat dandified
figure. “Good Lord, no!” he said, “that has to be done anonymously.”

And at that the corners of her own mouth broke into a smile, and she thought with a simultaneous pleasure of Gregory’s absurdity and of his safety.

Syme strolled with her to a seat in the corner of the garden, and continued to pour out his
opinions. For he was a sincere man, and in spite of his superficial airs and graces, at root a humble one. And it is always the humble man who talks too much; the proud man watches himself too closely. He defended respectability with violence and exaggeration. He grew passionate in his praise of tidiness and propriety. All the time there was a smell of lilac all round him. Once he heard very faintly in some distant street a barrel-organ begin to play, and it seemed to him that his heroic words were moving to a tiny tune from under or beyond the world. He stared and talked at the girl’s red hair and amused face for what seemed to be a few minutes; and then, feeling that the groups in such a place should mix, rose to his feet. To his astonishment, he discovered the whole garden empty. Everyone had gone long ago, and he went himself with a rather hurried apology. He left with a sense of champagne in his head, which he could not afterwards explain. In the wild events which were to follow this girl had no part at all; he never saw her again until all his tale was over. And yet, in some indescribable way, she kept recurring like a motive in music through all his mad adventures afterwards, and the glory of her strange hair ran like a red thread through those dark and ill-drawn tapestries of the night. For what followed was so improbable, that it might well have been a dream.

When Syme went out into the starlit street, he found it for the moment empty. Then he realised (in some odd way) that the silence was rather a living silence than a dead one. Directly outside the door stood a street lamp, whose gleam gilded the leaves of the tree that bent out over the fence behind him. About a foot from the lamp-post stood a figure almost as rigid and motionless as the lamp-post itself. The tall hat and long frock coat were black; the face, in an abrupt shadow, was almost as dark. Only a fringe of fiery hair against the light, and also something aggressive in the attitude, proclaimed that it was the poet Gregory. He had something of the look of a masked bravo waiting sword in hand for his foe.
I think Suzanne's take on Rosamond was and is genius. But it also seems like there is much more here to explore.

Rosamond would mean Red World or something to that effect would it not?
Why did Gregory wait while Rosamond and Syme talked?
Is it possible that Rosamond is not what she appears in the first chapter? Is it possible that she is the serious one and Gregory is her inferior?
Last edited by stahrwe on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Ptimb
Permanent Ink Finger

Re: "the gravity of a girl," or The Genius of Suzanne

Unread post

“What do you mean ?” asked the girl, with grave eyes."

"She was looking at him from under level brows; her face was grave and open..."

There he saw the sister of Gregory, the girl with the gold-red hair, cutting lilac before breakfast, with the great unconscious gravity of a girl.

The first two quotes are from chapter 1 and the third is from the last chapter. I might be reaching, but with the repetition of the word grave in the first chapter especially "grave and open" (inverted, minus "and",equals open grave) it seems he is pointing to some element of death in her character. This is where I really might be reaching, when he uses the word gravity in the last chapter, is this a way to have the reader recall the repitition of "grave" in the first chapter?
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Ptimb, thank you for your observation. I had not connected the words grave and open in the manner which you did but your comment merits more thought and exploration. The character of Rosamond seems to have rocketed to a level of importance which I have overlooked in my past readings of the book.

Perhaps it is not Rosamond the individual whose death we are seeing. If Rosamond means 'Red World' then the open graves may foretell our own deaths- Perhaps resulting from our loss of innocence.

Just thinking out loud here. Maybe there is more than one meaning.

Please share your thoughts.

thanks again.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Ptimb
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Found some info on the name Rosamond. Also (Latin) "pure rose" or "rose of the world", which are linked to the Virgin Mary
Read more at http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0 ... cORETUM.99

According to Wikipedia it is also a title given to Christ, but I am having trouble finding information to back this up. Yeats also had a poem titled "The Rose of the World" and it seems Yeats and Chesterton maintained a friendship or at least some familiarity. I don't know. It's probably just more information to con volute my understanding :) I do think however, that understanding the significance of Rosamond is becoming key to understanding the novel.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:Perhaps it is not Rosamond the individual whose death we are seeing. If Rosamond means 'Red World' then the open graves may foretell our own deaths- Perhaps resulting from our loss of innocence.

Lilacs are mentioned, the color not named. White lilacs mean innocence. However, lilacs also come in purple, and purple is the color of royalty, don't know if that has anything to do with anything. Rosamond cuts lilacs in last passage, therefor there is a loss of innocence. But, Rosamond is the one cutting the lilacs. Syme smells lilacs when he meets Rosamond, so lilacs and Rosamond are connected. And I would go so far as to say the Syme and Rosamond are connected.
Ptimb wrote:The first two quotes are from chapter 1 and the third is from the last chapter. I might be reaching, but with the repetition of the word grave in the first chapter especially "grave and open" (inverted, minus "and",equals open grave) it seems he is pointing to some element of death in her character. This is where I really might be reaching, when he uses the word gravity in the last chapter, is this a way to have the reader recall the repitition of "grave" in the first chapter?
I don't think you are reaching at all. With this novel I have found when Chesterton uses the same word in a peculiar manner more than once, it usually means something. Another way to see these words, grave and open, is, Rosamond is inviting Syme with her open eyes, her eyes are serious and grave, there is something important behind them, but they are summoning him. Describing someone as having grave eyes upon a first meeting is peculiar. Wow! we are really picking this novel to pieces, this is the only way to get to the bottom of it.

Death. Clever Chesterton could use the words grave and open to bring the reader to think of death. But death of what? A physical body in a grave? Or a moral death, a spiritual death, a death of freedom, a death of choosing your behavior?

Rosamond is mentioned three times in the novel. She is mentioned in the last chapter before the last passage and there is an interesting bit of dialogue between Syme and Gregory.
Syme says to Gregory, " Oh, most unhappy man, try to be happy! You have red hair like your sister".

Gregory responds, "My red hair, like red flames, shall burn up the world, I thought I hated everything more than the common men can hate anything, but I find that I do not hate everything so much as I hate you!"

And then, "I never hated you", said Syme very sadly.

This dialogue cements an important relationship between Syme and Gregory. Syme sounds like he feels sorry for Gregory and he doesn't sound like he is very afraid of him, although Gregory appears to be a pretty scary guy.
stahrwe wrote:Is it possible that Rosamond is not what she appears in the first chapter? Is it possible that she is the serious one and Gregory is her inferior?
She appears to be nothing in the first chapter. If you blink you miss her completely. I forgot about her until I reached the above posted quote. But read this quote again, Syme is comparing Gregory to his sister. Be happy Gregory, you have something in common with your sister. This suggest to me that Rosamond is the superior one and that Syme knows her more than he is letting on.

This is a crazy good book. I don't think I've had so much fun decoding a book since I read "The Crying of Lot 49"! Stah, I'm so happy to be discussing this with you! You are a great DL! Thank you.
Ptimb
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Okay, color update. As we were discussing before red is an important color to the novel. On my second reading I kept noticing the color blue popping up in connection with law. The blue cards, blue police uniforms, and Symes blue eyes.
After Gregory's outburst about his red hair like red flames burning up the world and Syme's reply we get this response from Gregory
“You!” he cried. “You never hated because you never lived. I know what you are all of you, from first to last—you are the people in power! You are the police—the great fat, smiling men in blue and buttons! You are the Law, and you have never been broken...."
Now I am coming to the conclusion that red is the color of anarchy and mans baser instincts while blue is the color of law and morality. Which leads to a third color when combined,purple or lilac. Maybe the color purple is representative of the stalemate between Gregory and Syme. I still haven't figured out what this means for our Rosamond but something tells me she is the next piece in the puzzle.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

That is a great observation! Blue represents truth, spirituality and PEACE.

Sunday who gave out the blue cards called himself the peace of God.

The color of the lilacs is not given. White lilacs represent innocence. I mentioned purple, which represents royalty, but purple lilacs represent a first love. Stah is right to suggest a closer exploration into the character of Rosamond. Maybe a closer look at the relationship between Rosamond and Syme needs to be explored as well.

I have been thinking all along that the lilacs made more sense if they were white, but what if they are purple? Do Syme and Rosamond love each other when he smells the lilacs in the beginning. Is Rosamond cutting off love when she cuts the lilacs at the end? There is a connection between Syme and Rosamond. Could that connection be love?

I think you are spot on with the red. Red represents anger. Then there is gold, like the gold in Rosamond's hair. Rosamond has red and gold hair. Gold represents power. Wow, Chesterton is using symbolic color before the great color novel, "The Great Gatsby".

This is so much fun!
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

First of all, the fun comes from the participation which is ALL YOU folks not me and I thank all of you who are participating and those who are observers.

Bear in mind that Chesterton studied to be an artist and therefore color and imagery are important to him and play a role in his writing.

Thanks for the comments on RED and BLUE. As always, you folks are teaching me. I had not even thought of the prominence of BLUE.

Going back to Chapter 1, after Syme's time alone with Rosamond he feels 'dizzy'
He stared and talked at the girl's red hair and amused face for what seemed to be a few minutes; and then, feeling that the groups in such a place should mix, rose to his feet. To his astonishment, he discovered the whole garden empty. Everyone had gone long ago, and he went himself with a rather hurried apology. He left with a sense of champagne in his head, which he could not afterwards explain. In the wild events which were to follow this girl had no part at all; he never saw her again until all his tale was over. And yet, in some indescribable way, she kept recurring like a motive in music through all his mad adventures afterwards, and the glory of her strange hair ran like a red thread through those dark and ill-drawn tapestries of the night. For what followed was so improbable, that it might well have been a dream.
More mystery; It would be natural to stare at a girl's red hair and amused face but the phrasing, 'talking at,' is awkward and significant? almost like Rosamond is not a 'person'?

What is amusing Rosamond? A female perspective would be helpful here. As a man, I have vivid and sometime humiliating memories of talking to a girl of interest who was only amused by my attention. On the other hand, what was amusing to Rosamond and why the departure from the description of her face as grave?

Why Syme have a sense of 'champagne' in his head. He is a poet so a 'romantic' encounter with Rosamond even if it involved no physical contact may be the explanation. But if that were the case, he should be able to explain the feeling. Perhaps Rosamond represents the world and Syme is slightly intoxicated with the idea of saving 'her'. and why champagne and not beer? Successful poets might afford champagne but perhaps the BT community knows better than I about that. Were there any poets who had extravagant lifestyles?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I wonder if rather than death, Rosamund represents mortality. As an abstract concept, Thursday is eternal, but as a man, he will live and die. I think Rosamund represents the hope of rebirth: living, having children, and dying, leaving the world to the next generation to hopefully to be better than the previous. While her brother is anger and denial, she is optimism and forgiveness. I think her and her brother are the two halves of all that is human.
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

This is a very interesting discussion. I feel that Rosamond is meant to be an important character but that she was left out of the main action, and Chesterton is very purposeful about that ... why? Well, my thoughts are pretty basic next to the analysis here but I saw Rosamond as a counterpoint to Gregory, her love and peace and caring versus his violence and destructiveness ... yet they are siblings and have at least one physical similarity .. red hair. So they are connected in that close, blood relation way and by the symbolic red hair (symbolic of what?) yet she drops out of the story after a brief appearance only to reappear when the nightmare is over. I think Syme implores Gregory to be happy 'because he has red hair' because of the parallel with Gregory's sister, who Syme is really thinking about.

But does Rosamond really disappear? My take on the 'champagne' feeling that Syme has after his discussion with her is simple .. love. I think there is a spark of love there, perhaps felt only by Syme, but still he may carry her in his heart through the nightmare, despite her physical absence, and then they are reunited when the nightmare has ended. She had to disappear (eg, be left out of the action) to allow Gregory to run rampant and to weigh on Syme's heart and mind in her absence. I don't think Syme mentions her during the nightmare but that's because his sole focus is on Sunday and the anarchists and ultimately on Gregory.

I know this is a rather romantic interpretation and doesn't account for adjectives like 'grave' and other specific references that might suggest other interpretations, but this is the gut feeling I have about Rosamond and her significance. Indeed, I believe that Rosamond personifies 'the gravity of a girl'.

Return to “The Man Who Was Thursday - by G. K. Chesterton”