• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

The Glass Castle

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
meliamom
Creative Writing Student

The Glass Castle

Unread post

I just started reading this book today. I try and alternate classic literature with something more modern. After this novel, I'm going to read The Odyssey or Henry V. I like biographies and I've heard this is along the lines of McCourt's Angela's Ashes.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Re: The Glass Castle

Unread post

let me know if you want to do The Odyssey. I'm interested. I'll be ready to read in about 3 weeks.
meliamom
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Will do. I'm halfway through The Glass Castle. Let me know when you're ready :)
JillR
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I think I might join in on the Odyssey too.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

meliamom wrote:I just started reading this book today. I try and alternate classic literature with something more modern. After this novel, I'm going to read The Odyssey or Henry V. I like biographies and I've heard this is along the lines of McCourt's Angela's Ashes.
I guess you could say it is along the lines of McCourt's great book. It isn't of the same literary quality, but I think McCourt joined a select group with that memoir. I thought Jeanette Walls wrote a good book, too, though. I live near W. Virginia and have known many West Virginians, so I felt some familiarity with the characters. An interesting note is that my cubicle neighbor at work, a native West Virginian, hated the book, thought that Walls must have trumped up many of the episodes. And she is not obviously sensitive about negative views of the state.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”