• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Ashleigh wrote:I am now onto the Iliad by Homer. Told you my interests were varied. :P
Here's a coincidence. I'm reading The Odyssey. I read the Iliad a few months back. Somehow I missed out on Homer in school and I wanted to fill in the gaps of my education. Beowulf is the next classic on my list.
Ashleigh
All Star Member

Unread post

I read the Odyssey for uni last year. I meant to read them in high school as extra reading for Ancient History but I had too much else to read for my other subjects. The Odyssey is really good, by the way. Really interesting.
Books are my life
GentleReader9

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Internet Sage

Unread post

Hegel1066,

You sound as if you are studying in a department similar to the Comparative Literature Program here in Eugene. (About 15 years ago...) I loved sections in The Dialogic Imagination and I recall in particular a section about laughter and how it can be used to safely question power, to bring an otherwise lofty object close so that it can be prodded and investigated and made free with by the rude and common public. Also just the way that the general argument about multilayering of voices and tones in a text is what makes it novelistic fits in nicely with the theme of Mimesis makes them good to read together. Are they together on a course syllabus or did you create that pairing yourself?

Ashleigh in particular might be interested in the chapter of Mimesis on "Odysseus' Scar," since she's reading the Odyssey. It's books like these that make you realize a text can be a "secondary text" and still a classic piece of writing and thinking in its own right.

About what I'm reading for fun now, on a less nosy note, I had taken out about a dozen books to browse through before going to sleep, but I have set them aside to read the books this site is featuring in this and coming months. I may return them without finishing them. They include My Name is Chellis and I'm in Recovery from Western Civilization by Chellis Glendinning. I loved this other book she had written called Chiva about a New Mexican village resisting the international heroin trade. It had a beautiful structure which told about the history of the heroin trade through a nested set of histories in concentric levels of the personal, the community, the country, the world. She tells the story of her partner's heroin addiction and attempts at recovery over a lifetime tying it in with where the heroin was coming from, globally, at each of his phases of relapse. It's really an amazing perspective. And to think I first picked it up and looked at it because she has such a melodious name. Hmm. I'm a lucky reader, like Mr. Magoo in traffic.
"Where can I find a man who has forgotten the words so that I can talk with him?"
-- Chuang-Tzu (c. 200 B.C.E.)
as quoted by Robert A. Burton
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Ashleigh wrote:The Odyssey is really good, by the way. Really interesting.
Yeah, I'm almost finished. I actually read it out of order because my high-school aged son was reading it for school and I wanted to be able to discuss it with him. So, I started with Books 9-12, jumped back to Books 1-4, then ahead to Books 21-24, then to Books 5-8, and now I'm on the final stretch, Books 13-20!
-Geo
Question everything
Ashleigh
All Star Member

Unread post

Cool! From the sounds of it, your son did the Books of the Great Wanderings, also known as the fairy tale books.
Books are my life
ZachSylvanus
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I just finished Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter, and am currently reading (as I mentioned in another thread) a biography on England's King Henry I. In between the biography I'm also working my way through the two most recent issues of Analog.
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. -- Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Artemis Fowl, book 5. Light, Harry Potterish reading. Then Brisingr, book 3 of Eragon. Then back to philosophy. Might read Objective Knowledge by Popper again. He goes pretty deep.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Interbane wrote:Might read Objective Knowledge by Popper again. He goes pretty deep.
Hi Interbane. How does this stand against your 11 October comment that "Popper was incredibly stupid"?

I am reading a book by one of my favourite atheologians, Christopher Hitchins, God is Not Great. He has some choice comments about my semi-compatriot Mel Gibson. I was intrigued to see Hitchins quote Maimonides who thought Jesus should be boiled in shit for all eternity (although I disagree . :roll: ) What would Leo Strauss think of that?
MichaelBalkind
Official Newbie!

Unread post

On my nightstand right now are books by a bunch of new authors. As a new author myself, I am part of an amazon discussion forum where new authors help and support one another. We read and review each others manuscripts and books.

Two new books that I just finished and think were excellent are: Soul Identity by Dennis Batchelder and The Samson Effect by Tony Eldridge.

I write sports myteries but i'm not writing this to promote my work.
bohemian_girl
Book Nut

Unread post

I'm reading a few books at the moment.

The Appeal by John Grisham
The Waste Lands (Book 3 of the Dark Tower Series) by Stephen King
IT by Stephen King (I've discovered Stephen King this year :laugh2: )
and I'm going to start Lolita tonight.

Return to “Everything Else”