• In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
sarahs
Official Newbie!

Re: Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

Unread post

I have just completed "Wrinkle in Time" by Madeleine L'Engle. Read it several times over the past 20-plus years - really enjoy this book! Now reading "The Accidential Billionaires" by Ben Mezrich (saw him on BookTV a couple of weeks ago.
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else. C. S. Lewis
Scarecrow13
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I am currently reading The complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe. Anybody who has not had the pleasure of reading his work should definitely make a point of doing so. While it's tough going in places, it is well worth sticking with. And reading The Murders in the Rue Morgue is a stunning piece of writing.
icindy
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Looking at posts for inspiration...something new...
misshapenskies
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

At the moment, I'm doing again this terrible thing where I read about 5 books at once

- Stephen King, Bag of Bones --> Haven't really got my teeth into it yet, but enjoying the characters and I feel Mike is based on Stephen quite heavily :)
- Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar --> O.O AWESOME...
- Vera Brittain, Testament of Youth --> kind of reading this for study, but thought it would be a good one to read. Suprisingly .. easy? For a 600 odd page book -_-'
- Nathan Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter --> Reading this online, and haven't really started yet but I wanted to give it a go because it's something I've never really read. I'm also wearing a "Scarlet Letter" right now! It's a P, anyone who knows the sypnosis of the story, don't ruin it for me but it would be really nice to know some more about it :)

So that's what I'm reading at the moment!
Definition for "defenestrate": throw through or out of the window; "The rebels stormed the palace and defenestrated the President".
^ That right there happens to be one of my favourite words. EVER.
misshapenskies
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Scarecrow13 wrote:I am currently reading The complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe. Anybody who has not had the pleasure of reading his work should definitely make a point of doing so. While it's tough going in places, it is well worth sticking with. And reading The Murders in the Rue Morgue is a stunning piece of writing.

^ I've been wanting to read that for a long time. Let me know what you think!
Definition for "defenestrate": throw through or out of the window; "The rebels stormed the palace and defenestrated the President".
^ That right there happens to be one of my favourite words. EVER.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

just read "The Eye of Euridice" By Ryan Talbot.

Good stuff.

Walk with the devil's emissary and lay waste to satan's enemies.

My review below.

http://www.booktalk.org/post99655.html
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Genocide
Intern

Unread post

Night by Elie Wiesel... reading it for a paper along with a few other books on the holocaust. I hate it, I hate books that make me sad and make me want to cry while I'm reading on the tube. :|
Dropping glasses just to hear them break.
hey_you
Master Debater

Unread post

Genocide wrote:Night by Elie Wiesel... reading it for a paper along with a few other books on the holocaust. I hate it, I hate books that make me sad and make me want to cry while I'm reading on the tube. :|

But it's such a great book! Although, it is terribly sad. I wonder if you're also reading The Diary of Anne Frank. It's an easier book to read since it contains an underlying sense of humor. Her narrative is quite different from Wiesel's. She creates a constant mood of claustrophobia and vividly describes her isolation from the world as well as from family members. Above all, she captures the inescapable fear of Jews in hiding. Wiesel struggles with reconciling his religious beliefs and that which he experiences in the camps. Like Frank, he was a only teenager and his youth was completely shattered. It's heartbreaking, that's true, but try and get something out of it. In my opinion, the power of his subjectivity is enough to appreciate the book.

What am I reading now?
At the moment I'm writing an essay on Tracks by Louise Erdrich. She's an American Indian author and very talented.
I've recently read The Fixer by Bernard Malamud. Possibly one of the greatest novels ever written.
The life of a single human being is worth a million times more than all the property of the richest man on earth.
Genocide
Intern

Unread post

I'm not! I didn't think about reading it since I think I hated it very much in middle school. The other books I'm looking at are Schindlers Ark/List The Black Hole of Auschwitz, The Policies of Genocide, A Train in Winter, and the film Life is Beautiful.

Night is terribly sad, but yes I agree- very very good. :'c
Dropping glasses just to hear them break.
EndlessLaymon
Devoted Member

Unread post

The Woman by Jack Ketchum and Lucky McKee. :twisted:
It's a scary night in the lonesome October

Return to “Everything Else”