• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Rage against the Algorithm

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Rage against the Algorithm

Unread post

geo wrote:They will latch on to any movement for the hope of finding purpose in their lives (and of course finding a tribe to join).
Any sort of social engagement will lead us into one tribe or another. It's just how we work. I think it's more gradual in most cases than merely latching on, but the end result is the same.

Here's an abstract from a blog page I recommend. They have quite a few posts related to this discussion:

Humans evolved in the context of intense intergroup competition, and groups comprised of loyal members more often succeeded than those that were not. Therefore, selective pressures have consistently sculpted human minds to be "tribal," and group loyalty and concomitant cognitive biases likely exist in all groups. Modern politics is one of the most salient forms of modern coalitional conflict and elicits substantial cognitive biases. Given the common evolutionary history of liberals and conservatives, there is little reason to expect pro-tribe biases to be higher on one side of the political spectrum than the other. We call this the evolutionarily plausible null hypothesis and recent research has supported it. In a recent meta-analysis, liberals and conservatives showed similar levels of partisan bias, and a number of pro-tribe cognitive tendencies often ascribed to conservatives (e.g., intolerance toward dissimilar others) have been found in similar degrees in liberals. We conclude that tribal bias is a natural and nearly ineradicable feature of human cognition, and that no group—not even one’s own—is immune.

One's desire for autonomy is fighting directly against this bias, similar in ways to those who fight to stay at their target weight with all the available food sources around them.
geo wrote:One of Hoffer's more salient points is that those who latch on to a mass movement have lost faith in themselves as autonomous individuals.
When we fall into the position of holding and defending portions of a groupthink ideology, it has the same feeling as fighting for a cause. We can still hold only those portions we agree with, but we're still within the group's spectrum. Even within tribes, there is drama and disagreement. I don't think it's so much losing faith in oneself, as it is allowing some of your identity to be defined by the group.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Interbane wrote: Sometimes I wonder what amount of untruth(or cognitive dissonance?) people are willing to accept. I think that large swaths of belief within someone's worldview can withstand a decent amount of dissonance. Sort of like the slow buildup of contrary evidence in a scientific paradigm before it changes, there usually isn't any single piece of evidence or argument that changes minds. Rather, it's constant exposure to reasonable criticism.
As I recall, Kuhn took it even further than this, noting that the new scholars got on with the new paradigm but the old ones stuck to theirs until they died. Obviously that isn't 100 percent, but I have known a few scholars and the momentum embodied in their research skills is formidable. They find it very, very difficult to think about the world with a different set of questions.

In my own life I find I tolerate tremendous dissonance. I may conclude that so-and-so at work is a jerk, but there is more profit in finding the levers to get so-and-so to cooperate than in collecting examples to prove my case against them. One track of my mind is convinced that civilization is at stake if we don't all quit carbonizing the atmosphere, but another track is busy accommodating my wife and other near ones, who are not as clear on this point. I am in awe, actually, of people who are able to act single-mindedly on their convictions.
Interbane wrote:Unfortunately, it's also uncommon for webs of belief to change at all. With respect to social media, I think the social groups keep people from being exposed to enough reasonable criticism to meet the critical mass of contrary evidence. And the feeling of social acceptance and belonging prevent people from seeking or accepting it, as you mention.
The feedback loops between central media and social media are moving way beyond our experience and ability to predict. People have had the ability to search out sources they resonate with for a long time now. But the rate of exponential expansion of a hot take or meme is just not something we know how to reckon with.

And you are not wrong about the algorithms. I guess we all need to start questioning any one-sided narratives we hear, as part of the resistance to motivated reasoning and the tyranny of the flaming echo chambers. But riddle me this: how well would a website do that specialized in giving both sides of controversies? Real Clear Politics, which Ant likes, is about the only one I know who does this, and they don't do it in a very thoughtful way. Just a flame thrower from one wing and then another flame thrower from the other wing. I do appreciate the thoughtful conservative voices on the NY Times Op-ed, but I would never hear what the MAGA crowd thinks by reading them.
Interbane wrote:A few recent conversations I've had reminded me of inner turmoil I had perhaps two decades ago, when I first joined booktalk. I remember plenty of conversation with a personality named MadArchitect, and he was frustratingly brilliant. It wasn't any one thing he said, but over time, after calling me out repeatedly, he helped me identify when I was defending a belief based on emotion rather than reason. Naturally, most any belief is defended with a mixture of the two, but sometimes it's held together more by emotion than reason. The epiphany was that it hurts to admit when a belief is held together more by emotion than reason. In a sense, the emotion is a shield as well as a glue for that belief.
So you are saying that if I recognize that my belief is based mainly on emotion, and defended mainly by emotion, I should question it extra heavily and look for motivated reasoning in my ways of justifying it to myself? That actually makes sense to me. Now I am curious what beliefs you were defending for emotional reasons against MadArchitect's acid skepticism.
Interbane wrote:The crucible test, I mentioned, was to consider instantly and wholeheartedly changing his mind. If there was a pang of some mysterious, hard to identify, negative emotion... as if something is lost or he's committing some sort of minor betrayal to something nebulous, then emotion is obviously involved in that belief. And if the scaffolding of reason was systematically removed through our conversation, then emotion could be the only thing holding him to that belief. Often when emotion is recognized as a shield, a person can then see through that shield to contemplate whether the glue for that belief is reason or emotion. A glimpse into metacognition. In my experience, that's often just the seed for change, and only germinates when many such seeds are planted across the swath.
There is a very large Facebook group, open only by invitation, for people who are going through "deconstruction" of literalist, evangelical Christianity. Or have gone through it. It is chock full of clergy and ex-clergy members. Schools of theology are notorious for cutting off literalism at the knees, and trying to reconstruct something more solid in its wake. The sense of betrayal is real and tangible, and many find it devastating to face.

Remember that, as with Kuhn's scientific paradigms, the cognitive structures are there to do things. They are there for purposes that often have very little to do with their truth or lack thereof. In the case of clergy members, it might include reassuring dying people, and reminding parents that their children will get less crazy when their pre-frontal cortex finishes filling in, and all kinds of such tricky social problems. There is an old saying in the church that "Love without Truth is mush, but Truth without Love is mush." These tensions, these antinomies, are the stuff of living, and for some people they are easier to negotiate without having to be correct about everything from a rational perspective.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Interbane wrote:Any sort of social engagement will lead us into one tribe or another. It's just how we work. I think it's more gradual in most cases than merely latching on, but the end result is the same.
ethicalpsychology.com wrote: Given the common evolutionary history of liberals and conservatives, there is little reason to expect pro-tribe biases to be higher on one side of the political spectrum than the other. We call this the evolutionarily plausible null hypothesis and recent research has supported it. In a recent meta-analysis, liberals and conservatives showed similar levels of partisan bias, and a number of pro-tribe cognitive tendencies often ascribed to conservatives (e.g., intolerance toward dissimilar others) have been found in similar degrees in liberals. We conclude that tribal bias is a natural and nearly ineradicable feature of human cognition, and that no group—not even one’s own—is immune.
One theory kicking around is that the problem is we don't get out enough anymore (Robert Putnam's "Bowling Alone" is apparently the touchstone of this line of sociology and poli sci) and don't have a variety of groups, weakly selected, to adjust to. Our crazy uncle at Thanksgiving may be the only time we listen to the other perspectives. I remember the Lion's Club and the Masons and the Boy Scouts and the roller rink being major socializing venues. Not that anybody talked politics much at those, but at least you encountered some people who are Catholics and some who are Jewish and some who are (gasp) secular humanists, and you could occasionally get a discussion going about the President.
Interbane wrote:One's desire for autonomy is fighting directly against this bias, similar in ways to those who fight to stay at their target weight with all the available food sources around them.
That's a really insightful observation. It was not so long ago that we could not afford to alienate those who saw the world differently, because of all the neighborly mutual dependence. Now our autonomy instincts, long held in check by interdependence, are free to run amuck.
Interbane wrote:
geo wrote:One of Hoffer's more salient points is that those who latch on to a mass movement have lost faith in themselves as autonomous individuals.
When we fall into the position of holding and defending portions of a groupthink ideology, it has the same feeling as fighting for a cause. We can still hold only those portions we agree with, but we're still within the group's spectrum. Even within tribes, there is drama and disagreement. I don't think it's so much losing faith in oneself, as it is allowing some of your identity to be defined by the group.
Might be a distinction without a difference. I am convinced there are a lot of people out there who just want a set of answers they can resonate with, and loud insistence that their answers are the right answers might satisfy the need much more readily than cool, dispassionate rational processing.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

There's an interesting op-ed piece about how "influencers," mainly using Facebook groups, generated a lot of conspiracy mongering and calls to violence. I think there is more to the issue than the algorithms.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/14/opin ... right.html

People's response to confrontational attitudes, our programming to turn our attention to any kind of trouble and strife, has to be considered part of the process. Build a better mindtrap, and the world will beat a path to your door.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Harry wrote:In my own life I find I tolerate tremendous dissonance. I may conclude that so-and-so at work is a jerk, but there is more profit in finding the levers to get so-and-so to cooperate than in collecting examples to prove my case against them. One track of my mind is convinced that civilization is at stake if we don't all quit carbonizing the atmosphere, but another track is busy accommodating my wife and other near ones, who are not as clear on this point. I am in awe, actually, of people who are able to act single-mindedly on their convictions.
Unfortunately, a large number of people act single-mindedly on their convictions. If your tolerance of dissonance was something that could be taught, perhaps I wouldn’t be so worried.
But riddle me this: how well would a website do that specialized in giving both sides of controversies?
They wouldn’t do well, which is entirely the point. It feels much better to have your emotions stoked by reading an article that confirms your strongest emotional beliefs without naysayers ruining the buzz.
So you are saying that if I recognize that my belief is based mainly on emotion, and defended mainly by emotion, I should question it extra heavily and look for motivated reasoning in my ways of justifying it to myself? That actually makes sense to me. Now I am curious what beliefs you were defending for emotional reasons against MadArchitect's acid skepticism.
The beliefs themselves were dry and pedantic, but I held them strongly. The one I remember most clearly, and the one I didn’t release until after Madarchitect vanished, was that we could somehow “know” objective reality with certainty. Not all of it, but just a few epistemologically foundational locations. I realized I was defending it emotionally because in the moment I considered that I could possible be wrong, I felt that deep cognitive regret that's often felt but hard to explain. The feeling is similar to when you bite your tongue and admit you're wrong. It's not exactly regret, not exactly discomfort, and not exactly embarrassment. It's some indefinable and lightweight combination of the three, mixed with a "grounding" effect, like a buzzkill. It's one of those emotions that I don't think you're supposed to be aware of. The emotions pulling the strings of thought are subtle, and such a familiar piece of the machinery of cognition that it's difficult to recognize it as a unique component.
One theory kicking around is that the problem is we don't get out enough anymore (Robert Putnam's "Bowling Alone" is apparently the touchstone of this line of sociology and poli sci) and don't have a variety of groups, weakly selected, to adjust to. Our crazy uncle at Thanksgiving may be the only time we listen to the other perspectives. I remember the Lion's Club and the Masons and the Boy Scouts and the roller rink being major socializing venues. Not that anybody talked politics much at those, but at least you encountered some people who are Catholics and some who are Jewish and some who are (gasp) secular humanists, and you could occasionally get a discussion going about the President.
I would agree with that. We are no longer “forced” into mixing pots in order to socialize. Finding a group of exclusively like-minded individuals is easy with technology.
There's an interesting op-ed piece about how "influencers," mainly using Facebook groups, generated a lot of conspiracy mongering and calls to violence. I think there is more to the issue than the algorithms.
Absolutely. The algorithms are meaningless without taking into account the way they interact with human psychology. In fact, it’s that interaction that is the issue. We can’t change human psychology, but we can change algorithms. Thus the thrust of my rage. Algorithms that are tailored over decades to optimize engagement are sinister. It’s an artificially brilliant supercomputer with the lone goal of capturing and keeping an individual’s attention. The fact that our attention is best captured by trouble and strife and confirmation, etc., is not the fault of the supercomputer. It merely uses the tools that work best for cognitive capture.

Here’s an excerpt from the article you linked:

Facebook’s algorithms have coaxed many Americans into sharing more extreme views on the platform — rewarding them with likes and shares for posts on subjects like election fraud conspiracies, Covid-19 denialism and anti-vaccination rhetoric. We reviewed the public post histories for dozens of active Facebook users in these spaces. Many, like Mr. McGee, transformed seemingly overnight. A decade ago, their online personas looked nothing like their presences today.

Your average Joe isn’t going to join a fringe group unless they feel strongly about the ideas held by the fringe. The polarization must occur first, at least in part. Obviously there are exceptions, such as curiosity or peer pressure. But the vast majority would join because they’ve already been cognitively captured.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Interbane wrote:The beliefs themselves were dry and pedantic, but I held them strongly. The one I remember most clearly, and the one I didn’t release until after Madarchitect vanished, was that we could somehow “know” objective reality with certainty. Not all of it, but just a few epistemologically foundational locations.
As we have discussed before, I continue to hold this view, for example on our knowledge that night follows day, and similar objective facts of real astronomy.
Interbane wrote: I realized I was defending it emotionally because in the moment I considered that I could possible be wrong, I felt that deep cognitive regret that's often felt but hard to explain. The feeling is similar to when you bite your tongue and admit you're wrong. It's not exactly regret, not exactly discomfort, and not exactly embarrassment. It's some indefinable and lightweight combination of the three, mixed with a "grounding" effect, like a buzzkill. It's one of those emotions that I don't think you're supposed to be aware of. The emotions pulling the strings of thought are subtle, and such a familiar piece of the machinery of cognition that it's difficult to recognize it as a unique component.
Sounds like chagrin. And your discussion of it sounds like Proust, in search of lost time.

On the theme of the thread, ABC Australia had a great radio interview that you should be able to listen to in the US, https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pr ... s/12216578
The prejudice of algorithms
Internet algorithms are dividing us, not bringing us together. The assumptions, predictions, and generalisations they make about us are not value neutral or apolitical. Robert Elliott Smith talks to Paul Barclay about the inherent prejudice of algorithms.
Publication: Rage Inside The Machine by Robert Elliott Smith
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

RT wrote:Sounds like chagrin. And your discussion of it sounds like Proust, in search of lost time.
It is quite similar to chagrin, but is a transitional feeling. It isn't exactly regret. It's more similar to someone going on a diet, then later in the day craving a donut but instantly realizing they can't have it. A mild exertion of willpower, mixed with something like regret or perhaps disappointment.

What I'm trying to describe is something that I think everyone feels, but it's difficult to recognize. It's the feeling you get in that moment when you decide to inwardly challenge one of your long-held beliefs. It doesn't feel good, but a sense of mental discipline and adherence to cognitive integrity makes you grit your teeth and commit to analyzing it as objectively as you can.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

An interesting article from WSJ just released today: https://www.wsj.com/articles/social-med ... 1610884800
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Very interesting info, Interbane. I especially like the one about options, in the WSJ. I may switch to MeWe, even though I have lots of friends on FB and, for those further away, I value the connection. Maybe a gradual shift.

Return to “Current Events & History”