• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

The plight of the sane conservative.

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: The plight of the sane conservative.

Unread post

It's like i have always said.

Politics is a team sport now, complete with die-hard fans who would never even dream of talking bad about their favorite team, regardless of the extent of their suckiness.

It is nowhere near enough just to put a person from your party in office. What are they going to do when they get there? Do they have any idea what is involved in the process? Have they read any book... ever?

The government isn't a giant chalk board with hatch-marks under the dems and gop. Government is not about keeping score, or who's winnning.

Here's the problem.
The extremist republicans form two groups, and they fit together perfectly.
Authoritarian crazies, who want to control others, think that they are always right, and that no one else has a worth while opinion.
And tow the line, get in line, never ever challenge the authority sheeple.

In the middle you have all the sane conservatives.

Authoritarians and sheeple are very passionate and crazy. They are the ones who raise money to put up a bill-board in order to talk smack about all the people they hate, or have been told that they hate.

Normal republicans are just like democrats, in a lot of ways. They arent crazy. Because they arent crazy, they are not motivated to raise money to put up a bill-board calling down the crazies. They just want reasonable discourse and sound government.

They are whisperers and debaters in a auditorium full of blaring slogan screamers.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Here is a golden opportunity, conservatives.

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/hea ... remedies-c

Sharron Angle has said on three different occasions... BEFORE she got the official nod as the republican candidate, that we should expect conservatives to turn to armed innsurection if they don't get their way this election.

Is there any of you who actually backs this woman's craven, fear-driven attempt to gain power over your fellow americans?

This is EXACTLY the kind of person you need to shove in a political closet and hope she doesn't come out. Instead, she is backed by the republican party, simply because she might have a chance of actually winning. Do you all not see how dangerous a person this stupid is for the nation?

She is actually talking about people shooting eachother. Another civil war, perhaps. Can you really sleep at night knowing that this woman has a microphone under your banner?
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I can't stand her, or Michelle Bachman, who DID represent me until I moved out of her district. I can't stand MOST of the republicans who want the job of any public office. I also can't stand MOST of the democrats who want the job. I think it was Heinlein who wrote in one of his stories about a system of government where everyone who was eligible was forced into a lottery and the loser had to run the town (or colony, what ever it was). The first disqualification for the lottery was if you actually WANTED the job you couldn't have it. Sometimes I think he was onto something....

I seriously think that the two parties have polarized too far, and it is time for a centrist third party to jump into the middle where all of the common sense lies untouched by politicians.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1110/45059.html

again we see the mantra.

"No compromise"
-Guillermo Del Torro

lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Hi I identify myself as a conservative because I see so much hate spewed from the left on the media, print and t.v. Where did you get the idea that conservatives:

" is now equivalent with a "moral" agenda. Namely, controlling who has sex with what. No gays, no abortion, keep the guns, and that is as far as they have thought government through."

where ever did you get this idea? If you just read the tone of the posts above so filled with hate and fear mongering such as the above statement. Of course we conservative republicans do not feel any differently about gays than democrats do. Since we are all related to gays and straights. I personally oppose abortion as I think it is murder, but my conservative Republican friends do not.

You know bullying is a great concern now in this country and I don't know why people are so surprised. What do you call the constant diatribes against anyone who is not a Democrat? Look at all the remarks about Sarah Palin.
We recently elected a Republican governor in the state of Maine and letters to the editor were universally apoplectic (at least those that were printed) because he received only 38% of the vote (5 candidates ran) and many registered voters did not vote. The letter writers assumed that all non-voters would have voted for their candidate!
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I see the same diatribes against anyone who is not a republican, it all depends on who you are listening to. Where I work people listen to the conservative talk radio a lot, I love how both sides think that the other team is doing all the talking.... I am small c conservative in my leanings, not politically affiliated with the Conservatives who want to run things.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

lady of shallot wrote:Hi I identify myself as a conservative because I see so much hate spewed from the left on the media, print and t.v.
That's a bizarre comment, considering all the hatred spewed out by people like Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck. The most outspoken people on the left, such as Jon Stewart and Rachel Maddow, are far more civil than the right-wing pundits. The mainstream media is generally at least as critical of liberals as of conservatives.

Also, it seems odd to base your ideological identity on opposition figures in the media. I identify myself as a liberal because liberal policies make the world into a better place, while conservative policies increase human suffering. While someone like Ann Coulter is a repugnant scumbag, she's not the reason I'm liberal.
lady of shallot wrote: Where did you get the idea that conservatives:

" is now equivalent with a "moral" agenda. Namely, controlling who has sex with what. No gays, no abortion, keep the guns, and that is as far as they have thought government through."

where ever did you get this idea?
Liberals tend to support gay rights, abortion rights, and gun control, while conservatives have the opposite positions. There are some exceptions, such as Arnold Schwarzenegger's support of gay rights. However, the overall trend is clear, if you pay attention to what most politicians and activists are saying.
lady of shallot wrote: If you just read the tone of the posts above so filled with hate and fear mongering such as the above statement.
I don't see any hate or fear mongering in that statement, though it is patronizing.
lady of shallot wrote: What do you call the constant diatribes against anyone who is not a Democrat?
I call it a mild, toned-down, reasonable criticism, when compared to the Republicans' ruthless attacks on Democrats.
lady of shallot wrote: We recently elected a Republican governor in the state of Maine and letters to the editor were universally apoplectic (at least those that were printed) because he received only 38% of the vote (5 candidates ran) and many registered voters did not vote. The letter writers assumed that all non-voters would have voted for their candidate!
According to the pre-election surveys across the country, Democrats led by 5% among registered voters, while Republicans led by 5% among likely voters. Had everyone who voted in 2008 also voted in 2010, the election would have gone a lot better for the Democrats.
Last edited by JulianTheApostate on Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

If you want to join BookTalk.org just to insult people you won't last long here. So far 2 out of your 3 first posts have had a condescending tone.
What are you talking about, Chris? People insult each other on Booktalk.org all the time.
phillies4evr
Intern

Unread post

I don't know what to say but I am a tea party activist. and come mid-January, we hopefully will see all our work in progress!
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

You can already see the Republicans in action. They blocked the extension of unemployment benefits while fighting to cut taxes on millionaires. As always, Republicans are pursuing policies that will hurt the well-being of most Americans.

It's sad to see the Republicans gain power, despite all the damage that they cause.

Return to “Current Events & History”