• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Debating Creationists

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ZachSylvanus
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Debating Creationists

Unread post

Like any topic, debating evolution with a creationist is a double edged sword. Specifically, I mean when a leading Evoutionary Scientist debates against an outspoken Creationist in a public forum, such as a University Ampitheatre, or the like.On the one hand, the Creationist usually gets trounced, or at the very least held off. On the other hand, they get a chance to win others over via religion and a call upon the "God of the Gaps", not to mention the idea that somehow Creationism is a valid idea...after all, if it weren't valid, why would such a big-name scientist spend his time refuting it?What do you think? This above all: to thine own self be true,And it must follow, as the night the day,Thou canst not then be false to any man.--William Shakespeare, Hamlet
Tim OConnor
Getting Comfortable

Re: Debating Creationists

Unread post

The persuit of knowledge, and even moreso the sharing of that knowledge with others, usually imposes a downside. However, the long-term benefits realized by the opening of just one mind will always outweigh the inadvertent short-term edification of a few lost souls for which there was never any realistic hope of intellectual salvation. A creationist might suggest: the price Adam paid for eating from the Tree of Knowledge was steep indeed. Yet over time haven't the benefits been truly profound?Tim Edited by: Tim OConnor at: 9/21/02 12:43:00 am
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Sounds like you're saying creationism doesn't even merit a debate. I'm sure they feel the same way about evolution. "Whales used to walk on land? * How preposterous - what kind of fools do they take us for?"* Scientific American, May 2002I haven't heard any of these debates, but have seen some of the arguments. Seems like evolutionists could win the argument by ignoring the fossil record and using only DNA, true?Off topic, but I recently found out that Catholics & Protestants are still holding debates as to which is "The One True Religion". Sounds like great fun!
ZachSylvanus

Unread post

Lan: Thats because I am ;) This above all: to thine own self be true,And it must follow, as the night the day,Thou canst not then be false to any man.--William Shakespeare, Hamlet
AckItsJamie

Unread post

There are some good articles about debating creationists, as well as some transcripts of debates, at the talkorigins site.Which gave me an idea, maybe we should include some links to sites like that, either on the main page or in a thread. Would make for quicker, easier referencing...Also, there is a site, not sure of the address but it's easy to find by searching, that gives you some HTML code for a random atheist quote of the day, out of a HUGE database of quotes. That might be a good thing to put in the header, actually, considering the direction this site seems to be heading. Found the site, let's see if it works: Bah, didn't work. Anyway, this is the site: http://www.good-things.org/aboutcookies.shtml Edited by: AckItsJamie at: 9/21/02 2:38:48 pm
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Jamie:Funny you should mention a "Quote of the Day." I actually have discussed this idea with my brother several times, but haven't figured out a way to make it happen yet. I'll check out that site.My intention is to soon have an actual BookTalk web site with a link over to these boards. There will be links for...About BookTalk - A one-page description about BookTalkMember Profiles - A uniform profile page with pictures and profilesJoin BookTalk - info on how people can joinChat Room - a link to our chat roomForums - a link to our EZBoard forumsFeedback - a form for suggestions (same purpose as "Suggestion Box")Contact Info - our contact infoLinks - links like the one you mentionedThe top of the page with have our logo...which will probably change. I think the site background should be white as this tends to be more professional. Under the logo and biline there will be a dynamic calendar with the date, day and time changing in real time. To the right of the dynamic calendar there will be the "Quote of the Day."As of right now I envision doing the site in frames with the links on the left frame and the body of each page appearing in the right frame. I think the "About" page will serve as our home page and it might be simply called "Home" on the left frame.I want to have a "News" section that places new news items on the top. Each additional post I make will include the date and will appear on the top of the list. I don't think I want to have a seperate page for News or people will skip it. It needs to appear on the very first page or Home page. Then again...so does the "About" information. So here is how I envision having it all on the same page.The very top of the right frame would be the "About" section, but the entire content of the About page wouldn't appear. You would only see the first paragraph and then a link to More....For example: About BookTalkBookTalk is an online community dedicated to the advancement of critical thinking skills. Our focus is on personal development and education through reading and intense discussion of quality nonfiction books from a variety of fields. More... BookTalk NewsSaturday, September 21, 2002Chris didn't get enough sleep and is wasting his time writing silly crap about BookTalk in a "Debating Creationists" thread. Members are sure to be perplexed as to the relevance of the thread.Friday, september 20, 2002Nobody as of yet has posted in the thread requesting assistance in rewriting the BookTalk header. Chris seeks therapy.Anyway...you get the idea.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da VinciEdited by: Chris OConnor  at: 9/21/02 3:15:32 pm
ZachSylvanus

Unread post

Chris: I like the ideas.and the relevance is "there are better things to discuss than the 'veracity' of creationism", right? This above all: to thine own self be true,And it must follow, as the night the day,Thou canst not then be false to any man.--William Shakespeare, Hamlet
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Zach:I've fizzled out with the faith vs. reason debate after years and years of fruitless, yet heated exchanges. I'm just poking fun of myself for getting so off-topic in this thread. Then again...this is the Off- Topic board.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da Vinci

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”