• In total there are 10 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Suggest NON-FICTION books for our next official discussion

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

For me the two best prospects are Beyond Culture and Bad Money: Reckless Finance, Failed Politics, and the Global Crisis of American Capitalism . The second title obviously is very topical and might do something to make me less of an ignoramus about the world of finance. I would also expect Phillips to be a writer who can avoid making this subject dull and technical.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I'd like to make another suggestion. It surprises me to see that BT has not read Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion. Just from my general impression, this has been the most influential and most highly praised book in the category of "the new atheism" to come out in the past few years. Actually, I had thought it was published a couple of years before 2006. It is still a recent book. I make this suggestion partly because I haven't given Dawkins a really thorough hearing and would like to be able
to hear what others have to say about his latest book. I don't think it is necessary to give a lot of info on the book, but just in case, here is a link to a site giving many brief reviews from articulate readers.

http://www.complete-review.com/reviews/ ... lusion.htm
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

35 Jan., Feb. & Mar. 2007 The God Delusion
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:35 Jan., Feb. & Mar. 2007 The God Delusion
Yep...that was the last discussion that drew me in!
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

DW
I'd like to make another suggestion. It surprises me to see that BT has not read Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion. Just from my general impression, this has been the most influential and most highly praised book in the category of "the new atheism" to come out in the past few years.
After reading a few of these reviews , I suspect this book is very similar in tone to godless:
" (...) As far as theology goes, Dawkins has an enormous amount in common with Ian Paisley and American TV evangelists. Both parties agree pretty much on what religion is; it's just that Dawkins rejects it while Oral Roberts and his unctuous tribe grow fat on it. (...) There is a very English brand of common sense that believes mostly in what it can touch, weigh and taste, and The God Delusion springs from, among other places, that particular stable. At its most philistine and provincial, it makes Dick Cheney sound like Thomas Mann." - Terry Eagleton, London Review of Books

"(A) very uneven collection of scriptural ridicule, amateur philosophy, historical and contemporary horror stories, anthropological speculations, and cosmological scientific argument." - Thomas Nagel, The New Republic

"In spite of the evidence that holding religious belief has become part of human nature through natural selection, Dawkins looks upon it as superfluous and the root of much violent evil. But however clever his reasoning (and it is clever), The God Delusion sounds like a personal vendetta, complete with elitist undertones and some uncomfortably dictatorial passages. In the preface, he expresses the hope that religious readers who open the book will be atheists when they put it down. That is academic arrogance -- and shows negligible insight into the way humans behave." - Margaret Cook, New Statesman

"Dawkins is, of course, quite right to express horror at Biblical fundamentalism, especially in the neocon form that centres on the book of Revelation. But it is not possible to attack this target properly while also conducting a wider, cluster-bomb onslaught on everything that can be called religion. Since this particular bad form of religion is spreading rapidly in the world, we urgently need to understand it: not just to denounce it but to grasp much better than we do now why people find it attractive. It is not enough to say, as Dawkins does, that they are being childish." - Mary Midgley, New Scientist
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I'll look through this thread tonight and try to get the poll up too.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

My recommendation would be God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens.

If not Hitch, Darwin's After Tamerlane is a superb book which would strongly justify wider readership and expansion of the thread already started.

I think Edward Said could wait, as could something about Leonard Cohen.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

Hmmmm...while another book with a religous topic is very interesting, I have foundd that the particular topic of faith has not had a probelm finding its share of time in the forums. I still support my two choices of Bad Money or The limits of State Action. I think that the forums would benefit from more political discussion and a little less religious exchage.

Too often religious disscusions become little more than a place to express personal feelings depending if religion is important to the contributors involved or not. I feel that politics and the economy has a more reasonable scope and gives the greatest oppourtunity for the exposing of true wisdom and thought as opposed to a continuation of the model which would involve further expressions of slanted opinion and personal biases, which, while not without a host of real life examples seem to serve little than to create self-feeding cycles of opinion or the somewhat pseudo-revolutionary personal narrative of deep dissatisfaction.

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”