• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

A discussion about the format for this reading

#48: May - June 2008 (Non-Fiction)
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

:laugh:

I'm not the Anonymous BT member, I swear. Mr.Anonymous is probably the last person you'll expect.

Kansas has a pretty big paleontology department that has paleo-entomology experts, evolution professors, and even ichthyology professors - which is right up our alley!

I'm not going to contact anyone myself. I think a mass generic invite should be sent out to everyone in the Kansas paleontology department, soliciting professors and also students who want to help us out.

I'm going to do a search on myspace for paleontology students.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

There was a major flaw with the myspace search for paleontology students.

When I did the search, male and female students were displayed. I found myself only clicking on the females; not just females but attractive females. Needless to say, I didn't do a lot of clicking and nothing was accomplished.

Another plan may need to be thought up.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I think I know who the anonymous BT member is. :shock: LOL

It seems most of you think this is a fast-reading book. Maybe we can handle Our Inner Ape concurrently. I'm wondering how to set it up. I guess we could create a new forum that sits on top of below Your Inner Fish. Mixing the two forums together is an idea too, but then that completely screws up our format. Just look at our BOOKS page and the overall design of this entire site. It works better to have a separate forum for each book.

I have to go to some appointments. Hopefully, when I get back there will be some more comments. Right now I am thinking about creating a new forum for Our Inner Ape and sending an email to the entire community. We would want to encourage members to order/buy both books right away since the clock is ticking. But both books could be covered throughout May and June, so that does leave us with quite a bit of time. We would encourage members to read one or the other or even both books.

What are your thoughts?
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

President Camacho wrote::laugh:

I'm not the Anonymous BT member, I swear. Mr.Anonymous is probably the last person you'll expect.
You'll have to give me more of a clue than "Mr." or direct me to the post from which you took the quote. The last person I'd suspect is the one I actually know, but then that's not really true. I suppose it could be him. I really think you've made that one up!
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Saffron, look two posts up for a good clue :D
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Saffron wrote:
President Camacho wrote::laugh:

You'll have to give me more of a clue than "Mr." or direct me to the post from which you took the quote. The last person I'd suspect is the one I actually know. I suppose it could be anyone really (I don't really know anyone on BT well enough to guess). I really think you've made that one up!
Last edited by Saffron on Fri May 09, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Good Lord Saffron! :ninjafist:

It's Chris! :secret:
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

President Camacho wrote:Good Lord Saffron! :ninjafist:

It's Chris! :secret:
Ok, I was going to guess Chris, I"m just reluctant to take chances. I hate to get things wrong. I have to admit I love to be the one with the answer. Like you, I also go all out searching the internet for "the answer".
Biomachine
Master Debater

Unread post

I think it's a wonderful idea for members to read Our Inner Ape alongside Your Inner Fish if they think it'll help them get the discussion going, but I don't think it's necessary to make a new forum for a new book in the hopes that everyone will read both books. To me, Our Inner Ape is just another source, and I think ideas from that book, if it's related to Your Inner Fish, would not cause too much chaos in Your Inner Fish's discussion.

I take information from other sources all the time when I'm reading a book--and yes, this sometimes includes other books. I don't think Neil Shubin would be offended by this at all.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Our inner fish tells us to stay in the school because any fish with any individuality is seen and eaten by predators. Our genes were in fish for hundreds of millions of years, an inheritance I find slightly troubling when I see the herd mentality of homo piscis.

I have not yet got my copy, but would welcome if others could perhaps bullet some of the takehomes, to totally mangle my metaphors.

Return to “Your Inner Fish - by Neil Shubin”