• In total there are 20 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 20 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Unread post

At the outset, The Unbearable Lightness of Being has infuriated me
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Rose, Kundera will complexify those metaphors later on in the novel. I would go so far as to say that he makes them so transparent so early on in part to facilitate the reader's willingness to see them modified further in. And then there's the playfulness of it. The sort of metaphors he's working with are tropes of the modern European novel, and by pointing them out he's playing on the reader's familiarity with those tropes. More than that, he's commenting on our willingness to see our own lives in terms of those tropes. Tomas rationalizes his behavior in part by thinking of those six felicities, by giving them, perhaps, more substance than they really deserve. There's a psychological aspect to the transparency of Kundera's metaphors. The characters themselves are conscious of most of them, and that consciousness plays into their understanding of events.
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

So what you're saying is I need to stick with it to the bitter end? I didn't have a chance to get to anymore of it today, hopefully I'll have some time tonight or tomorrow. I anticipate the complexification you speak of.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”