Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:18 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
What are you currently reading? 
Official Newbie!

Post Re: What are you currently reading?
A woman named Don't by Alex Bench

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/659237

Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:26 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

The Fencing Master by Arturo Perez-Reverte, the fourth book of his I've read this year so he's quite addictive.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/654423

@MichaelReuel

Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:32 am
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

The Magic of Thinking Big by David Schwartz

Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:07 am
Profile Email ICQ WWW
Official Newbie!

Re-reading the "Midnight Mayor" series of books by Kate Griffin...if you love a bit of contemporary urban fantasy I would urge you to give them a go...and in Matthew Swift she has created a real everyday MC, who just happens to be a sorcerer, oh and also cohabiting with another entity. Good insight into London and its environs and the history of the city too

Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:42 am
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

Series about Odd Thomas by Dean Ray Koontz

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:52 pm
Profile Email
Years of membership
Intern

Highscores: 5

Various board games' rules.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:16 pm
Profile Email
Getting Comfortable

McCarthy Cormac - The Road, its old one, but after watching movie I start to read it :)

Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:10 am
Profile Email
Pop up Book Fanatic

Right now I am reading Chetan bhagat new book "Half Girl Friend".its about a boy , name-madhav..who fall in love with a girl, but she refuse, after that what happen I will not mention here, because it cab be spoil you imagination, recently buy book online, when type online book store, so reach at infibeam.com, books store , there this book was in new row..instantly buy it, because previously also buy chetan bhagat novels.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:27 am
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

I am reading this book on Social Philosophy

Solitude: In Pursuit of a Singular Life in a Crowded World

link:
https://www.amazon.com/Solitude-Pursuit ... 1250088607

Till the moment, it is good. Not a life changing book, but good and really actual.

The following user would like to thank Felipebf for this post:
Chris OConnor
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:59 am
Profile Email
Almost Comfortable

Sometimes I'll read a few pieces from Roger Ebert's Book of Film. Ebert's a well-known film critic, and the book is a collection of his favorite writings about film. Maybe a couple hundred selections, from short stories and novel excerpts to newspaper columns, magazine articles, interviews, segments from biographies and so on. Tonight I learned that Daryl F. Zanuck liked to read O'Henry. He read screenplays for hours every day, but he made time to read a short story by O'Henry each night.

Anyway, there's an excerpt from Klaus Kinski's autobiography in Ebert's book. The first paragraph of Kinski's description of Werner Herzog made me laugh. Herzog was a temperamental director and Kinski was a temperamental actor. The excerpt is on wikipedia. I'll put a link to it below. Ebert's book is a good one if you like movies:

His (Herzog's) speech is clumsy, with a toadlike indolence, long winded, pedantic, choppy. The words tumble from his mouth in sentence fragments, which he holds back as much as possible, as if they were earning interest. It takes forever and a day for him to push out a clump of hardened brain snot. Then he writhes in painful ecstasy, as if he had sugar on his rotten teeth. A very slow blab machine. An obsolete model with a non-working switch — it can't be turned off unless you cut off the electric power altogether. So I'd have to smash him in the kisser. No, I'd have to knock him unconscious. But even if he were unconscious he'd keep talking. Even if his vocal cords were sliced through, he'd keep talking like a ventriloquist. Even if his throat were cut and his head were chopped off, speech balloons would still dangle from his mouth like gases emitted by internal decay.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Klaus_Kinski

Thu May 25, 2017 10:00 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Highscores: 6

Felipebf,

That's an interesting book. What is fueling your desire to read about this subject?

I agree that we're all so connected and linked but in increasingly shallow ways. The meaning of these relationships has been diluted to almost nothing.

Casual Chat Every Thursday at 9:00 pm Eastern in the BookTalk.org Chat Room! Read More

Fri May 26, 2017 9:57 am
Profile Email WWW
Official Newbie!

I just now finished The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck. Fiction. Tale of three women in post WWll Germany. One of the best books I have read in years. Reminds me of All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. Has anyone read either of these books?

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:02 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Awesome

Highscores: 1

I read "All the Light We Cannot See" and thought it was excellent. Haven't read "The Women in the Castle" yet, but will look into it. Another book with a similar theme you might like is "The Nightingale" by Kristin Hannah.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:45 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4