• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Ch. 1: The Problem (On the Historicity of Jesus by Richard Carrier)

#143: Jan. - Mar. 2016 (Non-Fiction)
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: Ch. 1: The Problem (On the Historicity of Jesus by Richard Carrier)

Unread post

:explode: :toast: :explode:

awesome stuff, it certainly makes a welcome change to

"do you know Jesus as your personal lord and saviour" :lol:
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

DB Roy wrote:We have to remember too that ancient peoples had no scientific language. If an enlightened person back then had a complex thought about reality, he had no way to express it except through metaphor. For example, Father, Son and Holy Ghost could be primal in the sense that when a neutron decays, it forms a proton that has almost all the original mass of the neutron so the proton is the father. An electron will be emitted from the neutron but which is 1800 times smaller than the proton so it represents the son. The excess energy is emitted as a neutrino--a ghostly particle with no rest mass which is tiny even compared to the electron. There are billions, trillions of them passing through you right now, passing through through the planet and yet are tiny they will never make physical contact. If the motion of a neutrino ceases, the neutrino ceases to be. So it represents the Holy Ghost.

So you see why there was so much controversy about consubstantiality and what not. They were three in one but were sterile and unproductive. With the decay of the primal neutron, the first atom and element--hydrogen--was formed. This is the same thing that we see with Adam and Eve. Adam is the neutron and Eve came from his side as the electron and Adam was transformed into the proton, i.e. his eyes were opened, with the first matter came the first stirrings of consciousness which is inherent in matter (more precisely, it IS matter). In this decay of the neutron was created the Great Duality. The neutron was neutral, dead. But the proton was positive and the electron negative and between these two opposite poles came light and dark, male and female, anode and cathode, good and evil, microscopic and macroscopic, etc.

The Filioque Controversy is a lot of silliness. The original statement was that the Spirit proceeded from the Father. This is true--the neutrino proceeds from the neutron-turned-proton--but religious arseholes used the Filioque to say that the Spirit proceeds from the Father AND the Son. It does not but rather BOTH proceed from the Father.

But how were these great poets of old, these giants, these great men of renown (Genesis 6:4) to make this knowledge known to people who had not the capacity or language to understand it? They wrote it down as creation literature or told it in an oral tradition in metaphor and allegory. As it was passed down, it was changed and corrupted by those who lost its meaning.

When we get to today, fools think it is a literal account and science scoffs at it when, in fact, it IS science--ancient science. It is but a dead husk today but it can be revitalized. But the problems arise because language is limited and culturally bound. Myth was an attempt to free language from this constraint. But only those who understood it could decipher it. It's not elitism, it's just the way it is.
Are you familiar with the work of Laird Scranton and his introductory book, "Hidden Meanings: a study on the founding symbols of civilization?"

This side topic becomes a lengthy and mysterious topic of it's own. Perhaps worthy of its own discussion just for the fun of it...
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

count me in :-D
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

tat tvam asi wrote: Are you familiar with the work of Laird Scranton and his introductory book, "Hidden Meanings: a study on the founding symbols of civilization?"
Admittedly, no, I am not. I'll have to look it up.
This side topic becomes a lengthy and mysterious topic of it's own. Perhaps worthy of its own discussion just for the fun of it...
Start one up, I'll be there.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

I finished the book so now I'm going back through a second time.

I can paraphrase the intro humourously.

Basically Carrier says

I pompously dismissed mythicism for no good reason then I actually read Doherty and realised he was right :lol:

But I give Richard full points for doing what no apologist will ever do, he changed his mind when he actually got around to reading.

Bravo.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

I am halfway through and continue to find the book brilliant, easy to read and fascinating. Carrier must be the most devout atheist in the world. There would be few Christians with his astounding depth and breadth of learning about Christianity, let alone his passion for truth and his ability to analyse data logically. He has a mind like a steel trap, able to marshal information and present some difficult ideas in a clear and accessible way. Although there are issues in philosophy and cosmology where I don't think that Carrier gets to the root of the case for mythicism, this book defines the agenda for serious scholarly debate on Christian origins.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I just received the book in the mails and have been reading the opening chapter. He points out that fictional stories whose purpose is unification stand the greatest chance of being taken as true. Carrier compares Jesus to King Arthur. No one today believes King Arthur existed but they did in the past. His story was told in order to bring about a unified England. Those who believe in the unification believe in the story. To doubt one was to doubt the other. Carrier goes onto discuss Moses and Daniel the same way. The same scholars who believe Jesus was historical reject the idea that Moses was even though Moses performed miracles and his birth caused a slaughter of innocents. You doubt one for the same reason you doubt the other.

The purpose of the Jesus story, is, once again unification. it gave all Christians someone to rally behind and gave to him all moral authority. For them to conclude he didn't exist after investing all that emotion is unlikely.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

DB Roy wrote:The purpose of the Jesus story, is, once again unification. it gave all Christians someone to rally behind
Yes, Jesus was a military weapon, like Arthur. That is corrupt, but that is the church.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

DB Roy wrote:I just received the book in the mails and have been reading the opening chapter. He points out that fictional stories whose purpose is unification stand the greatest chance of being taken as true. Carrier compares Jesus to King Arthur. No one today believes King Arthur existed but they did in the past. His story was told in order to bring about a unified England. Those who believe in the unification believe in the story. To doubt one was to doubt the other. Carrier goes onto discuss Moses and Daniel the same way. The same scholars who believe Jesus was historical reject the idea that Moses was even though Moses performed miracles and his birth caused a slaughter of innocents. You doubt one for the same reason you doubt the other.

The purpose of the Jesus story, is, once again unification. it gave all Christians someone to rally behind and gave to him all moral authority. For them to conclude he didn't exist after investing all that emotion is unlikely.
Sure, whatever stories or myths the culture selects have the purpose of unifying, and not just in a nationalistic sense. The Church was no different, but it was able to realize a reach and control that hadn't been seen before but also was not its doing alone, was part of a larger trend crucially involving the expansion of commerce and means of communication.

Arthur, though perhaps not even based on a real military hero, was conceived of as a real person for centuries. This has significance in terms of British culture and its subsequent history.

The Jesus historicity question has two main parts: the historical veracity of the Gospel accounts, and the means by which the beliefs reflected in those accounts arose. I don't think that scholars today assume the Bible is historically accurate regarding the life and acts of Jesus. They are properly agnostic on the matter. They do assume that belief in the existence of a man got things started, though they have trouble determining just how. This is where the accepted from-Jesus-to-Christ thesis comes from. Mythicists appear to see this as being as orthodox as the view that is called fundamentalist.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Return to “On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt - by Richard Carrier”