• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Achilles In Vietnam

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Achilles In Vietnam

Unread post

I started reading Achilles In Vietnam a couple days ago.

Has anyone else read this book? :)

Although it has been some thirty years since I've read Homers "Iliad", Dr. Jonathan Shay does a very good job of bringing one back to that story by his comparison of the siege of Troy, and the experiences of U.S. combat troops who fought in Vietnam.

Its interesting,... The war in Vietnam had its official end forty years ago but for many of the men and women who were there, that war hovers over their shoulder to this day. Among the many things that wars do, is haunt, War haunts the survivor in many unimaginable ways.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder [PTSD] has a range, mild to severe, Maybe for some veterans there's no effect at all, but the war has still affected a generation.

Foolish and impatient thinking does not enable one to "Get over it", For these people and any who have been there, there is no getting over it and who can blame them, This has not changed for the three thousand years since Homers time. Sometimes a reminder is a good thing.

So far from the length of the book I have managed to read, Jon Shay has been remarkably accurate, It may seem like dated history, and in a way it is, But these people of the Vietnam Era, they are now the top of the heap, They were children then, They are grandpas and grandmas now.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: Achilles In Vietnam

Unread post

That book sounds similar to The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam by historian Barbara Tuchman. Got it on my stack, but haven't cracked it open yet.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Great book. Ill have to read it again.
Interesting how the Dr. compares Vets feelings of betrayal by their commanding officers and the very government itself to Achilles sense of moral injury committed on him by Agamemnon.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

LanDroid:
That book sounds similar to The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam by historian Barbara Tuchman. Got it on my stack, but haven't cracked it open yet.
I read the linked preview, I thinks there is a difference, AiV, is more a study of PTSD and the development of psychological studies from that event, there isn't presented by Shay an analysis of the politics or rational for involvement in the war, if there was he did not include it in the text.

I finished reading Achilles in Vietnam last weekend, there was in it, rather useful insight into the ways in which PTSD pervades the minds of soldiers of war, I thought Shay presented quite well the idea's of "Narrative Healing" the process of a soldier simply and with no holds barred telling their story with the listener " being strong enough to hear the story without having to deny the reality of the experience or to blame the victim", and "Communalization" sharing those experiences with non participants.

Talking to some acquaintances who are current active duty Army, I see that aspects of war like life change's with time, Its not that easy to go to and fight in a combat zone as it once was, being fit for combat is an appearance that has to be made by the troop involved, Family issues, personal flaws, even peer pressure from fellow soldiers, will alert commanders about who should not be deployed, there are still stresses created of course, Battle induced PTSD can only be prevented by avoidance of war, which is not, a likely thing, given the nature of people.
Expectations have a lot to do with any endeavor, whether it be combat or collage, drinking, drugs, driving, making babies, science, religion, secularism, groceries, etc.... not every human is cut out to do the things they chose to do, but if we reduce life to zero options, are we engaged in living?
Thanks for the book recommendation ant, it was a useful read.
As to vodka and cranberry, I recommend a good splash of peach schnapps to the elixir, there's a quite enjoyable spice added.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Good comments, Taylor.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Dr. Shay's analysis was outstanding, I think.

What really disturbs me, as a side note, is how the radical self righteous lefties treated the Vets upon their return home.
Terrible verbal abuse. Bunch of idiots.

:)
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Ant:
What really disturbs me, as a side note, is how the radical self righteous lefties treated the Vets upon their return home.
Terrible verbal abuse. Bunch of idiots.

:)
That's a good and valid point, I would add, Knowing people who were there for both side's, (protesters and combat vets) the vet's gave as good as they got.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I get 50% less sugar OJ and low calorie cranberry for my vodka
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Ant: