Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One: Prologue through 07 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
So many e-books my reader is overweight!

Post Re: A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One: Prologue through 07
Crystalline wrote:
See, you guys like fantasy so much because you are wannabe's: you want to be those knights, riding prancing steeds, wielding magical swords, being victorious in battle, etc., etc. You know what the "etc." stands for :)!
You even try to speak like them :)!
(just having some fun)

Oh, most definitely xD.

But, when I said I read in Mark Addy's voice, I should've added in my head. Although I have been known to walk around a room gesticulating and making expansive arm movements while reading some dialogues (but only if I'm sure nobody's near enough to notice).

Last edited by VMLM on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank VMLM for this post:
youkrst
Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:08 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Re: A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One: Prologue through 07
I love fantasy because I get to transport myself into that world for a while.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:59 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Thread Flintstone

Silver Contributor

I don,t have any envy towards any thing associated with the word " Medieval". I mean drawing and quartering has little appeal to me. I simply could not imagine having to live in a time like that.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:47 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Taylor wrote:
I don,t have any envy towards any thing associated with the word " Medieval". I mean drawing and quartering has little appeal to me. I simply could not imagine having to live in a time like that.

Heh, let's not even get started on basic sanitation. Or anti-biotics. No aids though, that's a plus... life expectancy of about 30 years, high probability that you'll just spawn (heh) as a peasant...

And you don't even get a magical sword...

Obviously I still fantasize about it though. To be honest, however, I'm more into imagining futuristic scenarios... mars colonization, space elevators, true ai... that sort of thing.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:01 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Thread Flintstone

Silver Contributor

A magic sword to remove callous's from my feet might be useful, and an ability to get air sick at light speed. Awesome!

Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:53 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

LOL...you guys make me laugh!

Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:53 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Getting Comfortable

interesting, i want to read the book tooImage:)

Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:01 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sophomore

Crystalline wrote:
See, you guys like fantasy so much because you are wannabe's: you want to be those knights, riding prancing steeds, wielding magical swords, being victorious in battle, etc., etc. You know what the "etc." stands for :)!
You even try to speak like them :)!
(just having some fun)

Lol, I'm not a fantasy fan, I'm a political intrigue fan and sci-geek because I want to be a space pirate when I grow up! Fantasy generally irritates me because it's a lot of running and camping and then they solve all their problems with magic! I was completely sceptical of this series for a long time despite at least a dozen people bugging me about it. I especially dislike things set in time periods with no indoor plumbing.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:31 pm
Profile ICQ

Ok, so we are making some funny comments, but getting away from a literary discussion about this book: style of writing, character development, plot development, etc. I'll try to get more serious next time and I'll be waiting for more serious comments.
"wonderful, memerizing, awesome, fabulous, genius, incredible, amazing" is not what I would like to hear, as these words are often overused and have become somewhat meaningless...
No, I'm not criticising or complaining, just that I think we are getting away from the true purpose of this forum, and, yes, I'm also guilty of making silly remarks.
Actually, this is my first fantasy novel and after reading 152 pages, I'm not too sure I want to read the rest. But I will keep reading because 152 out of 800 pages is too short to form a true opinion. So...reading on...

The following user would like to thank Crystalline for this post:
VMLM
Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:11 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sophomore

Absolutely!

The last fantasy book I read was the Wheel of Time series. I hated that author's style of writing, but the plot line was enough to keep me reading. How he wrote was...like a third rate novelist. Things were too obvious, the characters were...obvious. They didn't really develop at all. They just remained the same and solved problems as themselves. And just how he wrote sentences was more annoying than pleasing. GoT does not annoy me like that. Plus it has a super-awesome plot line.

In GoT the characters definitely develop and change. Sansa is a great example. She wants to be a princess/queen but doesn't understand what exactly that means, but eventually she learns a ton about what the political and personal effects are. I'm trying not to give out spoilers and stuff so I'm trying not to say a whole lot, but...if you read all the books you will absolutely see character development. The difficulty of this book experience is that it requires a commitment to read all of them and not just one. If you finish book one it will not be hard to continue on to the rest. Hooray for addiction!

But as far as style goes...Each chapter is titled with a character and told from that character's perspective. It reminds me of Tom Clancy. One huge difference that I've noticed is that in a Tom Clancy novel you know who the good guy is and who is going to be there at the end of the novel. I like not knowing. :) I'm a trekkie instead of a Star Wars fan because Star Wars is your basic archetypal good vs. evil = good guy wins as opposed to Star Trek where they face moral dilemmas. In the Game of Thrones books there aren't really good guys and bad guys. There are just characters with motivations. And GoTs does one better...you never know when the good guy will turn out to be a bad guy or when the bad you guy you like is going to die or vice versa or upside down or anything.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:31 pm
Profile ICQ

Very true, Crystalline. Since this is supposed to be a literature discussion, I guess we better give it a go.

If I had to describe GRRM's style, I would say that it flows easily through evocative descriptions and high sounding interior monologue and dialogue. I think he does a good job of balancing short but powerfully felt descriptions of places, things and emotions, often using no more than one or two sentences to outline a particular a bit of scenery or the appearance of a character, with interactions among characters (be it in the way the narrator perceives other characters or in dialogue).

One thing I noticed is that he defined various characters in contrast to each other, or in contrast to other previously presented characters. Jon and Robb were presented at the same time, in clear opposition to each other. One is fair, blue eyed, large and growing, the other is dark eyed, black haired, quick, graceful and intelligent. Another case is the late Ser Waymar Royce, compared with Gared. Yet another would be Robert's presentation as Eddard's unlikely childhood friend.

Another thing I liked was the way in which the scenery seemed to act upon the characters at some points, helping to define them. For example, Catelyn is presented through her reaction to the godswood. In those few paragraphs we come to understand clearly that she feels ill at ease in the cold north, far from home and from the gods she grew up with in Riverrun where the godswood she knew had been "... bright and airy, where tall redwoods spread dappled shadows across tinkling streams, birds sang from hidden nests, and the air was spicy with the scent of flowers". Yet Eddard fit right into this scenery, ".. beneath the weirwood, seated on a moss-covered stone. The greatsword Ice was across his lap, and he was cleaning the blade in those waters black as night."
There are other scenes like this one, where the scenery shines a light into the nature of the characters and the relationship between them. Will and Gared feel nervous, on the verge of cowardice in the haunted forest, while Royce remains unaware of the hidden danger the others sense. Then there's the oppressive and ominous scene in the tombs when Eddard and Robert visit Lyanna's grave.

Finally, the way GRRM defined Ser Royce's character was very interesting... all dressed up like a boy off to play night's watch, with a pretty little sword and an imposing war horse... all impractical but very impressive to look at. His folly isn't that he's cowardly or stupid, he's just too green to sense the ominous air, and too proud and disdainful too heed his men's warning...

Last edited by VMLM on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:50 am
Profile Email

VMLM, really a good post. I read it several times and will want to reread some of the lines you reference, since I didn't go back to reading for about a week...working on a commission art piece and general life trivia (out of town son & family visiting) has kept me busy.
My last post was on the Section for Chapters 8 - 15.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:33 am
Profile Email

I'm planning on re-reading as soon as possible. I've read the first four but kind of want to start over again before reading any farther.

Anyway, a lot of the things you've just mentioned are also things I love about the series. The settings are great and you're right, they do reveal a lot about the characters. I feel that Martin does a great job of engaging our senses in his scenes.

One thing that still kind of gives me chills is the ominous bit of foreshadowing in Eddard's speech about how the one who orders the execution should be the one to do the deed, and how it really defines his character. When you compare the execution that begins the book to the execution that ends the book, it really says a lot about the characters and how we come to view them.

Come see why the book is getting such rave reviews! (Also available for kindle, nook, and iTunes, and as a paperback from Amazon)
Official Line of Sight Page

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:39 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Getting Comfortable

I love the HBO series and love all five books. Anxiously awaiting both 6 & 7. My four favorite characters thus far are Arya and Jon Snow, and Tyrion and PLEASE don't shoot me, but I like Jaime as well. I believe everyone in this book, much like life has two sides to their being. A dark side, (which gratefully never surfaces in most of us) and a good side which often peeks out from the dark and when nurtured may even become a stronger force than the dark side. I find that Jaime is one of those characters that we could discuss for hours and never completely agree as to his nature, good or bad. Just my humble opinion and as always, I welcome yours.

Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:55 pm
Profile Email
Thread Flintstone

Silver Contributor

Quote:
fordgal1960 wrote:
I find that Jaime is one of those characters that we could discuss for hours and never completely agree as to his nature, good or bad.

Jamie's story arc is interesting as coming into book 6 I'm not quite prepared what to make of him, His character starts off in GoT as an incestuous, child killer, an oath breaker and king killer. :yes: . One can say that he couldn't be much more of a low life, :lol: . Be that as it may; Thanks to the longevity of GRRM's story line, we can allow ourselves to get lost in the track of time as Jamie pays some dues in various hell holes, we get to witness a softer side to Jamie's heart. A large mannish woman reminds Jamie of his chivalric code, Brienne, takes Jamie's remaining hand and tells the reader to trust her she'll redeem a once fabled knight to the height of glory once again, luck now is on Jamie's side, but for how long?. I've not lost sight of Jamie's worth, he's devious by his own nature. His remaining hand can not be destine to old age, he'll die young and bloody all because at some point he will betray his own nature. (just my guess)

The following user would like to thank Taylor for this post:
fordgal1960
Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:48 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3