• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One: Prologue through 07

#128: Mar. - May 2014 (Fiction)
VMLM
Experienced

Re: A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One: Prologue through 07

Unread post

Very true, Crystalline. Since this is supposed to be a literature discussion, I guess we better give it a go.

If I had to describe GRRM's style, I would say that it flows easily through evocative descriptions and high sounding interior monologue and dialogue. I think he does a good job of balancing short but powerfully felt descriptions of places, things and emotions, often using no more than one or two sentences to outline a particular a bit of scenery or the appearance of a character, with interactions among characters (be it in the way the narrator perceives other characters or in dialogue).

One thing I noticed is that he defined various characters in contrast to each other, or in contrast to other previously presented characters. Jon and Robb were presented at the same time, in clear opposition to each other. One is fair, blue eyed, large and growing, the other is dark eyed, black haired, quick, graceful and intelligent. Another case is the late Ser Waymar Royce, compared with Gared. Yet another would be Robert's presentation as Eddard's unlikely childhood friend.

Another thing I liked was the way in which the scenery seemed to act upon the characters at some points, helping to define them. For example, Catelyn is presented through her reaction to the godswood. In those few paragraphs we come to understand clearly that she feels ill at ease in the cold north, far from home and from the gods she grew up with in Riverrun where the godswood she knew had been "... bright and airy, where tall redwoods spread dappled shadows across tinkling streams, birds sang from hidden nests, and the air was spicy with the scent of flowers". Yet Eddard fit right into this scenery, ".. beneath the weirwood, seated on a moss-covered stone. The greatsword Ice was across his lap, and he was cleaning the blade in those waters black as night."
There are other scenes like this one, where the scenery shines a light into the nature of the characters and the relationship between them. Will and Gared feel nervous, on the verge of cowardice in the haunted forest, while Royce remains unaware of the hidden danger the others sense. Then there's the oppressive and ominous scene in the tombs when Eddard and Robert visit Lyanna's grave.

Finally, the way GRRM defined Ser Royce's character was very interesting... all dressed up like a boy off to play night's watch, with a pretty little sword and an imposing war horse... all impractical but very impressive to look at. His folly isn't that he's cowardly or stupid, he's just too green to sense the ominous air, and too proud and disdainful too heed his men's warning...
Last edited by VMLM on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

VMLM, really a good post. I read it several times and will want to reread some of the lines you reference, since I didn't go back to reading for about a week...working on a commission art piece and general life trivia (out of town son & family visiting) has kept me busy.
My last post was on the Section for Chapters 8 - 15.
gesler0811
Experienced

Unread post

I'm planning on re-reading as soon as possible. I've read the first four but kind of want to start over again before reading any farther.

Anyway, a lot of the things you've just mentioned are also things I love about the series. The settings are great and you're right, they do reveal a lot about the characters. I feel that Martin does a great job of engaging our senses in his scenes.

One thing that still kind of gives me chills is the ominous bit of foreshadowing in Eddard's speech about how the one who orders the execution should be the one to do the deed, and how it really defines his character. When you compare the execution that begins the book to the execution that ends the book, it really says a lot about the characters and how we come to view them.
Voodoo, zombies, artifacts, and magic: Urban fantasy with a New Orleans Flair
I am currently offering my urban fantasy novel 'Line of Sight' for only 99 cents - Buy from Smashwords and use Coupon Code CT92F
Come see why the book is getting such rave reviews! (Also available for kindle, nook, and iTunes, and as a paperback from Amazon)
Official Line of Sight Page
fordgal1960
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I love the HBO series and love all five books. Anxiously awaiting both 6 & 7. My four favorite characters thus far are Arya and Jon Snow, and Tyrion and PLEASE don't shoot me, but I like Jaime as well. I believe everyone in this book, much like life has two sides to their being. A dark side, (which gratefully never surfaces in most of us) and a good side which often peeks out from the dark and when nurtured may even become a stronger force than the dark side. I find that Jaime is one of those characters that we could discuss for hours and never completely agree as to his nature, good or bad. Just my humble opinion and as always, I welcome yours.
"Be grateful for the day and happy for the privilege of having a life to live."
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

fordgal1960 wrote:
I find that Jaime is one of those characters that we could discuss for hours and never completely agree as to his nature, good or bad.
Jamie's story arc is interesting as coming into book 6 I'm not quite prepared what to make of him, His character starts off in GoT as an incestuous, child killer, an oath breaker and king killer. :yes: . One can say that he couldn't be much more of a low life, :lol: . Be that as it may; Thanks to the longevity of GRRM's story line, we can allow ourselves to get lost in the track of time as Jamie pays some dues in various hell holes, we get to witness a softer side to Jamie's heart. A large mannish woman reminds Jamie of his chivalric code, Brienne, takes Jamie's remaining hand and tells the reader to trust her she'll redeem a once fabled knight to the height of glory once again, luck now is on Jamie's side, but for how long?. I've not lost sight of Jamie's worth, he's devious by his own nature. His remaining hand can not be destine to old age, he'll die young and bloody all because at some point he will betray his own nature. (just my guess)

Return to “A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One - by George R. R. Martin”