• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Ch. 3 - Reciprocity with a Vengeance

#129: Mar. - May 2014 (Non-Fiction)
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Ch. 3 - Reciprocity with a Vengeance

Unread post

DWill wrote:Ant's example is interesting. He's doing what so many bumper stickers have told us to do--practice random acts of kindness (I don't know if he also covers the senseless beauty part). Could a piece of the reaction he gets be based on our culture in this particular moment in history? Sometimes we assume universality when the phenomenon is culture-based.

What he does definitely places a seeming burden on the recipient to reciprocate, so that could be why the reaction isn't joyful. If he told his coworkers, "Hey, I just found a bunch of these gift cards on the street! Have one", the sense of obligation would be less.

With family and friends, the rules are more relaxed, fortunately. We don't tend to worry so much about the running score.
What's the "senseless beauty part'?

The burden of reciprocity. Wow!

Maybe I should have said "Hey, I just found this Kuerig Coffee maker out by the dumpster. It's ours now!" :P :slap:
Last edited by ant on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom - by Jonathan Haidt”