• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

A Mormon Missionary walks into a Post Office...

#123: Sept. - Nov. 2013 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

A Mormon Missionary walks into a Post Office...

Unread post

I just left the post office and there were three Mormon Missionaries in line shipping a pile of boxes to Utah (yes, I checked the address) and asking for info on how to package and ship their ukelele. Is it just me or do you guys find yourselves wanting to engage such people in a discussion of their strange beliefs?

I bit my tongue and kept my mouth shut. Most Mormon Missionaries I've met have been really nice people and somewhat naive and innocent. I have no interest in making them feel bad...unlike how I feel towards Scientologists. So do you ever initiate a discussion with people out proselytizing?
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Re: A Mormon Missionary walks into a Post Office...

Unread post

I don't do this, though I can see the temptation. I feel often enough lucky to escape them if they're seen in the neighborhood. It's really pretty embarrassing to have them come in and talk. I feel kinda sorry for them, as though I should make their day by having them leave thinking they've made some headway. They're actually fairly incompetent, in my experience, as proselytizers, which makes them a little bit endearing. They're like the female students that used to call me from the college asking for money. They were so apologetic at having to shake me down that I went ahead and pledged some!

These young Mormons, always dressed in black pants and white shirts, slogging down the streets no matter what the weather or heat, trying to talk to hardheaded people like me. How do do this day after day? I've noticed that some of them are on bikes now, which I approve of and would be happy to talk to them about. But the angel Moroni, I don't think so.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: A Mormon Missionary walks into a Post Office...

Unread post

From what I have seen they all ride bikes when going door to door. The three at the post office the other day had bike racks on their cars.

I know what you mean about feeling a bit sorry for them. I feel sorry for anyone who passionately believes in something I'm utterly convinced is untrue. Just watching someone devoting their precious energy, time and often money to a fruitless and dead-end endeavor makes me feel bad for them.

Return to “The Complete Heretic's Guide to Western Religion: The Mormons - by David Fitzgerald”