• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Ch. 7: Things to do in Mormonism When You're Dead: The Mormon Afterlife

#123: Sept. - Nov. 2013 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: Ch. 7: Things to do in Mormonism When You're Dead: The Mormon Afterlife

Unread post

For example, according to his note for Fig. 1, Kolob is the first creation, nearest to the residence of God. One day in Kolob is equal to a thousand of our earth-years. Oh, and the ancient Egyptians apparently call our earth “Jah-oh-eh.”
That’s about all that makes sense in this paragraph, though we’re also told Kolob is: “First in government, the last pertaining to the measurement of time. The measurement according to celestial time, which celestial time signifies one day to a cubit.”
I recognize all these words, but together they make no sense. Perhaps they are only coherent according to celestial grammar...
:lol:
ginof
Sophomore

Unread post

the entire idea behind http://alldeadmormonsarenowgay.com/ is pretty weird.

But I get it! Marrying someone after they are dead, or baptizing them, etc. is pretty weird, too. At least to me.

How did anyone think that this would be considered a good idea? I wonder if there are any theological underpinnings, or if the Prophet spoke and so it is.
just thinking (I hope)
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

ginof wrote:the entire idea behind http://alldeadmormonsarenowgay.com/ is pretty weird.
:lol: i cheated, Mitt isn't 6 feet under yet, but i feel the conversion worked fine anyway :lol:

reminded me of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvhhCIvR8mo
ginof
Sophomore

Unread post

well done!
just thinking (I hope)
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Last night my husband and I watched a program about the FDLS. It featured a women who at age 18 married the then prophet Rulon Jeffs. Rulon was 85 at the time of their marriage. The interviewer asked about how she felt about the sexual relationship with the prophet. She said she was confused because the whole time she was intimate with him, she knew it was wrong and she abhorred the act. Rulon was unable to perform and it was embarrassing and degrading, for both of them. She prayed to God, she asked God to stop Rulon, but she felt God didn't hear her. She was confused because Rulon spoke often to God, she was taught that the prophet Rulon had conversations with God. Why didn't God/Rulon hear her? Does Rulon actually talk and hear God?

"THIS IS GOD RULON, YOU HAVE ED, STOP MAKING AN ASS OF YOURSELF"
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Again, I recommend you check out "The God Makers," both the book and one or more of the videos available on You Tube. There is more about blood atonement in the book. :idea:

As I read this chapter, it made me think :? that if I were a woman, why would I want to be a Mormon, when the most wonderful thing I could hope to attain would be to be a celestial brood mare, constantly pregnant :cry: through eternity, bearing spirit babies to populate my god-husband's world? :?: :? :?: Okay, I am a man, and the only experience I have had with pregnancy is vicariously (through my wife and daughter).

But then, what do any of us Gentiles know about spirit pregnancy. :? How long does it last? Do your feet swell? Do you get morning sickness? :cry: Cravings? :?

P.S. if memory serves me correctly, a 'cubit' is an old unit of physical measurement (not time), defined as the distance from the elbow (bent) to the tip of the middle finger (no comments here, please :lol: ).
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

yes i was thinking about the word susceptible, as in we humans are very susceptible to letting that thing between our ears get us into trouble.

it seems the thing between our ears gets us in more trouble than the things between other parts of our body.

we really could do with a basic course, ok kiddies avoid this stuff if you can 101.

simply because we are so susceptible.

look at some of the synonyms

definition of susceptible

adj exposed, naive

Common
Informal
Synonyms for susceptible

affected
easy
impressionable
inclined
liable
prone
ready
receptive
responsive
sensitive
vulnerable
wide open

aroused
be taken in
disposed
easily moved
fall for
given
gullible
impressed
impressible
influenced
mark
movable

nonresistant
open
out on a limb
persuadable
predisposed
pushover
roused
sensible
sensile
sentient
sitting duck

soft
stirred
subject
sucker
suggestible
susceptive
swallow
swayed
tender
touched
tumble for
Mahree
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

The problem is, you can't get to the children in any religion. This stuff is pounded into their heads from a young age with no outside influence to make them think there is another way to go. The young girls are brainwashed into believing what they are doing is right and even if they don't feel it's right, they have no escape route. Every religion brainwash the children from a very young age. It's sad!
"The Kennedy Half-Dollar" is an eclectic and unconventional true crime memoir.
The story is about a young woman, Seely, that finds herself caught in a nightmare with the Hawaiian Mafia. Her coworker is found dead in a cane field one morning and from that point on, Seely tries to escape their clutches. After many years she is forced to face her connection.

There are songs posted throughout the chapters. Play the music while you read. It maybe hard at first, but after the second or third song, it seems strange without. I could not write without music. What isn't expressed in my words is still in the song.
ginof
Sophomore

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:"THIS IS GOD RULON, YOU HAVE ED, STOP MAKING AN ASS OF YOURSELF"
Yes, that would be confusing. Hysterical in a sick way, but confusing.
just thinking (I hope)

Return to “The Complete Heretic's Guide to Western Religion: The Mormons - by David Fitzgerald”