• In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Is evolutionary chance impossible?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: Is evolutionary chance impossible?

Unread post

ant wrote:
Hypothetically, if you were a believer in the traditional sense, would you believe god was the cause of acts like this?
You were not asking this question generally but I would like to answer. I think most believing people define God and heaven as they like. They think God lets their team win and their battle also. So to Muslims the world over 911 was a huge sign of God's favor, while some Christians in NYC could see it as God's abandonment. Of course most would not. They would probably say "God works in mysterious ways."

Which of course is what Muslims could say about the death of Osama Bin Laden. The realists of the world say all the things, including those on the list are the acts of man. Most of them done in the name of their faith.
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

ant wrote:
Hypothetically, if you were a believer in the traditional sense, would you believe god was the cause of acts like this?
You were not asking this question generally but I would like to answer. I think most believing people define God and heaven as they like. They think God lets their team win and their battle also. So to Muslims the world over 911 was a huge sign of God's favor, while some Christians in NYC could see it as God's abandonment. Of course most would not. They would probably say "God works in mysterious ways."

Which of course is what Muslims could say about the death of Osama Bin Laden. The realists of the world say all the things, including those on the list are the acts of man. Most of them done in the name of their faith.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

ant wrote:Hypothetically, if you were a believer in the traditional sense, would you believe god was the cause of acts like this?
why not let the big fella answer for himself
Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
Amo 3:6 Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?
2Ch 18:20 Then there came out a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will entice him. And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith?
2Ch 18:21 And he said, I will go out, and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And the LORD said, Thou shalt entice him, and thou shalt also prevail: go out, and do even so.
2Ch 18:22 Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil against thee.
as for me i am no longer a literalist and the whole question seems to be a dodge from the issues i raised in my posts.

if god didnt create evil who did? another creator?

again i am no literalist so it's not my conundrum, basically no literalism no confusion.

when i was a literalist i used to constantly struggle to make sense of the non-sensical once i saw it all as it is - a giant metaphor - it was a great relief not to have to defend the indefensible ie. stupid literalist dogma.

ie. he's gonna burn you in hell but he loves you

ie. he made everything but not evil

ie. he put a frikkin talking snake in a garden

etc etc etc literalism kills understanding.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Hi youkrst,

I've noticed in your posts a tendency to argue against taking the Bible literally. I think most of us are in agreement with you. Both here and in the thread about Jesus as a historical person, we're all assuming a materialist perspective. Either way, the Jesus in the Bible is a total myth. If there was a real person, Jesus, he was merely the basis of the myths that followed.

The notion of God in this thread is a prime mover, just an entity that got everything started and has no presence at all in the world. This is not the personal God of the Bible which is an absurd fairy tale. You're absolutely right that literalism kills understanding. The person who started this thread was presumably asking about a prime mover type god. I'm probably just confused, but I thought I would point that out.
-Geo
Question everything
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

youkrst wrote:
ant wrote:Hypothetically, if you were a believer in the traditional sense, would you believe god was the cause of acts like this?
why not let the big fella answer for himself
Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
Amo 3:6 Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?
2Ch 18:20 Then there came out a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will entice him. And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith?
2Ch 18:21 And he said, I will go out, and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And the LORD said, Thou shalt entice him, and thou shalt also prevail: go out, and do even so.
2Ch 18:22 Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil against thee.
as for me i am no longer a literalist and the whole question seems to be a dodge from the issues i raised in my posts.

if god didnt create evil who did? another creator?

again i am no literalist so it's not my conundrum, basically no literalism no confusion.

when i was a literalist i used to constantly struggle to make sense of the non-sensical once i saw it all as it is - a giant metaphor - it was a great relief not to have to defend the indefensible ie. stupid literalist dogma.

ie. he's gonna burn you in hell but he loves you

ie. he made everything but not evil

ie. he put a frikkin talking snake in a garden

etc etc etc literalism kills understanding.
I must say that you are more of a literalist than even some of the christian literalists I know.
It's so ironic and something I simply could no longer ignore. ;)
Last edited by ant on Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Youkrst is an anti-literalist. That is the opposite of being a literalist. So ant is wrong to say youkrst is a literalist.

The OP asks if a divine designer is more plausible than evolution. Ant pointed out that we find it hard to appreciate the extremely long period of time that evolution has to work with. The scientific answer is No: a divine designer is a hypothesis with no evidence for questions that are fully explained by natural processes.

A "divine designer" is an idea that has morphed out of Christian concepts of a Creator God. It is a wrong and unnecessary concept, because natural design occurs through genetic evolution. Adding literal fantasies to the natural observation is how myths get started.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Ant pointed out that we find it hard to appreciate the extremely long period of time that evolution has to work with.
Robert,

Who is "we"?

Are you contesting what I said re evolution's "longer period of time"?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Craigdressler:
Since it takes four thousand coordinated proteins all acting together for cell division to occur even in a so-called simple cell, which is not simple at all, isn't the idea of evolutionary chance creating such a process impossible? Isn't the idea of a divine designer, God, who engineered this process and set it in motion much more plausible?
Hey, Craig, welcome to booktalk!

First, it’s important to recognize that the first beginnings of life were not the same single celled organism that you are talking about. They were much more simple.

All you need for the beginnings of life is a molecule that builds on itself and some encasing molecular structure. The reproduction of that molecule which builds on itself is then a mechanical event where it is physically broken into pieces, but the “data” which is nothing other than some repeating structure and at that point contains nothing about building anything other than that same pattern over and over again, takes some of that encasing molecular structure with it. And in that way, through nothing but the physical interactions of matter and the bonding properties of chemistry you have the beginnings of life.

The statistics you reference are large, but you need to think of that in context of big time and big space. With the number of places in the universe that this could happen and the amount of time that has been available for it to happen factored in, not only is the emergence of life not all that surprising, it is positively inevitable.

To go from that simple structure to organisms like ourselves took about 3.5 billion years (after you subtract the years of heavy bombardment where circumstances on earth were too hostile to complex chemistry). But the arrival of life after those tumultuous years was only 400 million years. Nearly as soon as it was possible, in other words, it happened.

So you are talking about processes which we know exist (chemical interactions in exact accord to observed behavior) unfurling exactly as it seems that they should over a very long time period and in innumerable possible locations (all habitable planets in the universe) and you should rightly come to the conclusion that life literally must occur somewhere and at some time. Because it is just a consequence of chemistry, and we know that chemistry exists and how it works.

Now on the other hand you would rather embrace the idea of an omnipotent creator god, but on what basis? You think the odds of our complex chemistry are long, but at least we know it to be possible. On what grounds would you think that omniscience, or omnipotence is possible? How could you assign any numerical value to the odds of that happening where there is no recorded instance of it having ever taken place, and then how exactly do you figure that is more likely than what we see happening all around us every day?

The naturalistic explanation of life is that life is a thing that is possible in our universe and a natural product of it. The supernatural explanation is that life is not possible and is only present because of the intervention of something that could not possibly exist in our universe (because it is supernatural).

How is the supernatural explanation more likely?

Reality isn’t obliged to fit into your imagination, craig. Just because it is hard to put a number like 100,000 light years into perspective doesn’t mean that isn’t the size of our galaxy. And just because you have a hard time dealing with big time and big space doesn’t mean that is any limit on the activity of chemistry.

And if life were of a supernatural origin, or a very, very incredibly rare thing, then why is it so easily understood using the scientific method? Why should it even appear to be possible? Why could we study mutation rates over time or watch speciation if it were not a product of the natural world?

Shouldn’t we then find that life is not something we can study and know anything about? Wouldn’t the explanation of how it arose then necessarily be stupefyingly unlikely? Shouldn’t the explanation be extraordinarily unlikely in order to account for the singular specialness of life? Or even be impervious to study of any kind due to it’s supernatural origin?

Yet it has proven to be no different in character than any other chemistry. We are extreme examples of ordinary chemical interaction, and it isn’t all that rare, is it? If we were so special, and life was so hard to come by, then why are we made of the most common elements in the universe? Hydrogen, oxygen, carbon.. etc..The most common elements in the universe are on this planet and that’s what we are made of. Coincidence? The whole planet is coated in life. We know of one planet where life is possible, and it is drowning in it.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Good post, johnson. Unfortunately, this craigdressler is just a sort of a evangelical Johnny Appleseed planting the seeds of doubt in the form of mindless platitudes. Not sure where this 4,000 coordinated proteins thing even comes from. A quick Google search shows that craigdressler is busy boy.

http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/s ... n-1254601/

http://www.librarything.com/topic/112633

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 451AACQE7H
-Geo
Question everything
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

And so it seems.

Regardless of craig's status as spammer or disingenuous interest in dialog or real answers to his question, my post demonstrates that the answers are real and not that hard to come up with.

When someone else does a search on Craig's spam tactics, they might come across my answer and i am satisfied with that outcome. (as well as the various other rebuttals to be found in the links).
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”