• In total there are 4 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Gods, Death and why I

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Gods, Death and why I

Unread post

God: The being believed in monotheistic religions such as Judaism, Islam, and Christianity to be the all-powerful all-knowing creator of the universe, worshiped as the only god. (Encarta Dictionary) "Out of the mouth of the most High proceedeth not evil and good? Wherefore doth a living man complain, a man for the punishment of his sins?" (Lamentations 3: 38-39)According to the Bible, God is the creator of all things both good and evil, and it is suggested from the above passage that both good and evil come from the mouth of god. Yet man must suffer punishment for God's cruel gift. This is not very fair or compassionate if you ask me. Having been involved in things like the Gulf War and the Katrina disaster, I have discovered something interesting, virtually every victim of divine wrath has been a believer. It seems to me that the God of the Jews, the Muslims and the Christians seems to only punish those that believe in him. Furthermore the many evil spirits and Demons that are associated with such beliefs seem to restrict their wickedness to believers as well. Then there is the mystery of death and the believers need to credit a God with the abduction of a loved ones life. I am constantly hearing things like... "They went before their time; God must have some purpose for them in heaven." This makes me feel great relief that I do not believe in such myth. I have never met an atheist that had been punished for sin, possessed, or who felt like a divine being seized a love ones life for some inexplicable purpose. As an atheist I will never have to feel the wrath of a god smiting me, I will never have to suffer the anguish of a demons torment, and I will never have to wonder why God is such a bastard and took away someone I love. As an atheist it is true that I will have to weather some storms in my future, but these are just storms, not personal attacks from angry deities. And while I may have times where I am depressed or angry these things are just normal human conditions and not demonic assaults on my soul. Finally while I will surely suffer the loss of loved ones, I understand that this is a part of the natural condition and is not some needy supernatural being taking them away from me. To me being an atheist means being free from being a victim. When I make a decision good or bad I have only one person to credit, me. I understand that my actions dictate my place in the world around me, and I am fine with that. I also understand that sometimes bad things happen, but rather than pray for forgiveness/aid. I adapt and overcome knowing that I am an intelligent resourceful human being in control of my own destiny. I will never have to give credit to God for the hard work of my fellow humans or for their compassion, expertise and immense will. But I will also never have the luxury of blaming Satan for their bad behavior or for the evil that some men do. I am forced for better or worse to judge myself and others by our actions and motivations. I must do this knowing that there are a virtual plethora of beliefs, ignorance's and differing manners of thought. I must also take into account that as humans, sometimes we just screw up. But as an atheist I am not forced to complicate this finding with the existence of a fanatical God.Later
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Gods, Death and why I

Unread post

Happy Birthday Frank!
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Re: Gods, Death and why I

Unread post

Yep, I am officially old, its not the years so much as the mileage.Later
tomiichi

Re: Gods, Death and why I�m glad I�m an Atheist

Unread post

I enjoy the freedom of being solely responsible for my own destiny - pleasures, and mishapes. When I try to figure out why others prefer to blame or credit god for their actions, I come to the realization that most people don't want the responsibility of owning and taking control of their destinies. Why?, I haven't figured this one out yet except that they need an excuse for why things happen, good and bad. Life needs an excuse and reason. Humans have to analyze everything, hence science was born. But for the unintelligent that doesn't understand science or take the time for it, God becomes an easier outlet. If only more people took the time for further education.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

tomiichi, I'm really loving your posts.
tomiichi

Unread post

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Happy BDAY Frank.And I agree with Chris on the whole Tomiichi thing...Great posts. Spend more time here please!!!Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Thanks for the birth day wishes guys... and Gal. My day was great, much like most other days but I really accomplished a lot today and feel very good about my performance.I had my cake and ate it! it was yummy. Later
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Cross Communique

Unread post

Frank,Your critique of all things religious and divine is sharply presented and not easily answered. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts to this small response titled, "God on the Cross". It obviously refers to one person's view (yours truly) of Christianity and how to make sense of a Crucified God. I think it addresses many of those elements of religion (Christianity specifically) that you so sharply, and needfully criticize. As I read your manifesto of Atheist Gratitude, you find most egregious those elements of religion that avoid personal responsibility and deny divine accountability. I think God on the Cross takes those two issues head on.Quote:God on the Cross: "Look everyone, I understand the place is a mess and a whole lot of misery and pain are everywhere to be found. Not only do I know this, but I have lived it and been right in the belly of the ugliest of beasts. I have lived as one of the oppressed and persecuted, the outlaw and renegade, denied sanctuary and leniency, rejected by friend, family and beaten to death by foe. This is not a theoretical exercise undertaken in some celestial palace high atop Olympus: I have been betrayed, arrested, beaten, mocked, publically humiliated, unjustly sentenced, and crucified till dead surrounded by the carrion of criminals, thieves, and rebels.I sympathize, empathize, and participate in and with your suffering.And, in many ways, I, God, have created this mess. There is no way around it, no need to minimize, deny, sugarcoat, or make believe it isnt true: I, God, have helped to make this suffering possible. And not only suffering, but cruelty, malice, and evil too. Yes, evil.Actually, we all have a hand in the mess. None of us, including me, God, are clean of guilt. Obviously there are degrees of guilt, but none stand purely innocent. Children are the closest. Not entirely, but surely the one's who are least responsible. But, don't fool yourself- they can be terrible tyrants too. As I have been, and you as well.So, here's the good news: we are all forgiven of this guilt. The slate is wiped clean. There's no need to beat yourself up, seek punishment, find some sort of self-mutilation to set things right. I, as God, send out a universal decree of innocence to all. I'm God, I can do this sort of thing.Now, it's time to get busy. Give up your delusions of status, prestige, honor, wealth and power: that's all tied to your guilt. Let it go and give it up. Instead, seek out the hungry, naked, sick, abused, homeless, orphaned, widowed, imprisoned, the insane...this is where you will find your joy and glory. This is where your salvation lies.Understand, and this is the rub: this work will kill you. Sure enough, as soon as you check out of the status quo passion for wealth, prominence and power...you will be seen as a threat. Likewise, as soon as you begin to remedy the suffering of the least among you, you will end up confronting those systems of power that profit from their miseries.So, prepare for a Cross much like the one I am on here. I don't know any other way to do this: to clean up this mess we are all in. But we are going to have to love one another like nothing else matters, and this is dangerous stuff in our world.Fear not, I am with you all the way. The Cross will not have the last word, but neither can it be silenced."I'm not interested in debating the historical veracity of Jesus Crucified (something we have explored in great detail on another thread)...but more, theologically, does this presentation of God on the Cross spur reconsideration of your blanket rejection? Edited by: Dissident Heart at: 9/15/06 11:13 pm

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”