• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Nihilists-Nechayev and Al-Qaeda?

#116: Feb. - April 2013 (Fiction)
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Nihilists-Nechayev and Al-Qaeda?

Unread post

I was reading a comment about Father's and Sons, by Ivan Turgenev.
The author of the comment claims that the Russian Nihilist Nechayev was an important influence on al-Qaeda. This is news to me. I have not heard that association before. Any of you familiar with this?
"The heart of Russian Nihilism was about breaking with the failures of the past and about crafting a new identity. This was the meaning of the ‘Fathers and Sons’ phrase used at the time and remembered today in Turgenev’s novel of the same name.

"Whereas the "fathers" grew up on German idealistic philosophy and romanticism in general, with its emphasis on the metaphysical, religious, aesthetic, and historical approaches to reality, the "sons," led by such young radicals as Nicholas Chernyshevsky, Nicholas Dobroliubov, and Dmitrii Pisarev, hoisted the banner of utilitarianism, positivism, materialism, and especially "realism." "Nihilism" — and also in large part "realism," particularly "critical realism" — meant above all else a fundamental rebellion against accepted values and standards: against abstract thought and family control, against lyric poetry and school discipline, against religion and rhetoric. The earnest young men and women of the 1860's wanted to cut through every polite veneer, to get rid of all conventional sham, to get to the bottom of things. What they usually considered real and worthwhile included the natural and physical sciences — for that was the age when science came to be greatly admired in the Western world — simple and sincere human relations, and a society based on knowledge and reason rather than ignorance, prejudice, exploitation, and oppression. [1]i Nechayev "

A History of Russia, sixth edition, by Nicholas V. Riasanovsky, Oxford University Press 2000. p. 448.

http://www.counterorder.com/history.html
Given the significance of nihilism to the plot of TMWWT and al-Qaeda's impact on our lives I thought it would be appropriate to ask for input on this.

thank you
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.

Return to “The Man Who Was Thursday - by G. K. Chesterton”