• In total there are 9 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Necessary Being

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Re: Necessary Being

Unread post

Grim wrote:The necessity of proof does not mean that there is proof of necessity.

Animal behaviour and human law is an oxymoron as humans are animals.

Morally god is/and has been "evolved" to suit contemporary aims, sort of like the business suit professionals today wear to the office, more a point of identification, a frame to hold society and culture within certain aesthetic boundaries. What is missed is the inability of a person to give a proper description of their identity. The christian can no more give an accurate account of their god, or faith than I can the back of my head when I look face forward into a mirror.
This is one of those statements that does not stand up to the challenge. I submit that Christians can provide an accurate account of God. Why would you even make a statement like this?
Grim wrote:In it's origin christian gods reflected people worship, the lord was the Lord of the nearby castle.
There were no castles in 1 AD or 100 AD for that matter. Another unsupportable statement.
Grim wrote:The hypothesized future point-of-agreement between religion and science fails to recognize that the Universal is never full; it is a priori empty. The Hegelian "appearance qua appearance" in the momentary is also the Kantian problem of the sublime. This acceptance of a post-virtual explanation that is promised as beyond normal scientific litigation, in much the same way politics is legitimized. The Hegelian "absolute Otherness" where knowledge and understanding become the physically liberating tool rather than scientific methods and discoveries is a system of metaphoric elevation, a stand-in for the Universal that Hegel sees as the only way for an Universal to come into existence: that is by positing its self as one. Here we note Hegel's fundamental break with Kantian idealism.
Is this your answer to why science rejects a Necessary Being? Because the universe is self-creating?

Zizek writes that "this is politics proper: the moment in which a particular demand is not simply part of the negation of interests but aims at something more, and starts to function as the metaphoric condensation of the global restructuring of the social space." The Ticklish Subject (p208) Relating those thoughts of the modification of the social to a proper power that aims at something more. So that the supreme Other (as both radical externality and pure internality of the authentic (non-bestial) human subject) is necessary in relation to science (diametrically radical internality of the system and the pure externality from the subject) in so far as people cannot be modified by design using science.[/quote]

But here you seem to imply that science creates the necessary being so which is it?
Does science eliminate the necessay being or create Him?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:So then our own behavior contradicts human laws, since it must be modified. We would act precisely as animals act without laws?
No, and that is my point. If morality evolved from a genetic basis, human morality should be reflected in animal morality and yet, our morality differs from the behavior we see in the animal kingdom which we do not even refer to as morality.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

No, and that is my point.
Then... why do we have laws? You're saying we'd be less than civilized, but not exactly animal... :lol:

Don't you realize animals exhibit moral behavior?
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

And now BT presents: The Sequel of the Fallacy starring Interbane.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
No, and that is my point.
Then... why do we have laws? You're saying we'd be less than civilized, but not exactly animal... :lol:
That is a good question. If morality is genetic, then our evolution should result in morality being wired into us rendering the need for laws unnecessary. That is not the case, and humans also realize that our behaviors are different from that of animals.
interbane wrote:Don't you realize animals exhibit moral behavior?
Animals do not have a moral standard of behavior, and thus they cannot behave morally. As for the links you posted; PT Barnum said it best, "there's a sucker born every minute." To which I add and they administer grants for silly research projects.
Last edited by stahrwe on Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Grim wrote:"The inner world, or the supersensible beyond, has, however, arisen: it comes to us out of the sphere of appearance, and the latter is its mediating agency: in other words, appearance is its essential nature and, in point of fact, its filling. The supersensible is the established truth of the sensible and perceptual. The truth of the sensible and the perceptual lies, however, in being appearance. The supersensible is then appearance qua appearance. We distort the proper meaning of this, if we take it to mean that the supersensible is therefore the sensible world, or the world as it is for immediate sense-certainty, and perception. For, on the contrary, appearance is just not the world of sense-knowledge and perception as positively being, but this world as superseded or established in truth as an inner world. It is often said that the supersensible is not appearance; but by appearance is thereby meant not appearance, but rather the sensible world taken as itself real actuality." - Force and the Understanding – The World of Appearance and the Supersensible World; selected quotes from Hegel; marxist.org
You might guess and you would be correct that I have issues with Marxist views and the concept that the necessary being is replaced by the state.

Anyway, I find your input interesting.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

If morality is genetic, then our evolution should result in morality being wired into us rendering the need for laws unnecessary.
That's non-sequitur. If absolute morality was genetic, then you'd have a point. There are anomalies, but as I've said they are the exception that proves the rule.

It's amazing to me that you're so captivated by your delusion that you cannot analyze yourself introspectively. Let's say, hypothetically, you suddenly stop believing in god and the bible. Then, alone and naked without the leash of dogma to guide you, you're suddenly burdened with the need to plot your own course through life. What happens if you suddenly have an urge to kill someone? Let's say it's someone who has beaten up a family member of yours. Would you have no inhibitions against such an action? I know you'll answer with warped apologetics, but am hoping you'll ponder this metacognitively and live out that scenario. If you find that you indeed would have no inhibitions against killing that person, then you are one of the anomalies. You are a sociopath and need to run as fast as you can back to your bible and start reading.

What I'd hope you'd find is that it isn't dogma that elicits the inhibition to kill. I'd hope you'd find genuine compassion and empathy towards your fellow man. I assure you most if not all atheists here on Booktalk have such compassion and empathy. There is no need for an external source such as the bible to prevent you from killing.
Animals do not have a moral standard of behavior, and thus they cannot behave morally.
Non-sequitur again. They also do not have a standard of eating, but I think they manage to eat quite well. Behaviors don't require standards. Perhaps for fundies, but then that is delusional. What you're referring to is an ad-hoc examination and classification of behavior. Consider the chimpanzee who drowned trying to save a fellow chimpanzee. It does not know that it's action was morally good and utterly unselfish. It doesn't need such knowledge to act morally, since the basic mechanisms for morale behaviors come from within us.
As for the links you posted; PT Barnum said it best, "there's a sucker born every minute." To which I add and they administer grants for silly research projects.
Of course, you're an expert on the topic so you have the right to dismiss the silly non-experts such as Frans de Waal outright. :lol:

We've discussed his book, here's the link.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:But here you seem to imply that science creates the necessary being so which is it?
Does science eliminate the necessay being or create Him?
The very inability of Science to direct necessitates the invention of the Universal Other (gods) to inform the evolving gist of a social order. Political, Economic, ideas of Unity, Spirit, Religious, National, International, Cultural, Artistic, Internal, Theoretical, Theological - these are all examples of the internalization of the Universal Other as observed in the field of the Arts & Natural Philosophy tamquam aemulatio Science.

The relationship to scientific proofs is a necessity resulting of that perpetual extension the psyche is subject to outside of its host (the human) in its immediate surrounding. The disparity between the appearance of an object and the realities of its polyvalent properties.

:book:
Last edited by Grim on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
If morality is genetic, then our evolution should result in morality being wired into us rendering the need for laws unnecessary.
That's non-sequitur. If absolute morality was genetic, then you'd have a point. There are anomalies, but as I've said they are the exception that proves the rule.

It's amazing to me that you're so captivated by your delusion that you cannot analyze yourself introspectively. Let's say, hypothetically, you suddenly stop believing in god and the bible. Then, alone and naked without the leash of dogma to guide you, you're suddenly burdened with the need to plot your own course through life. What happens if you suddenly have an urge to kill someone? Let's say it's someone who has beaten up a family member of yours. Would you have no inhibitions against such an action? I know you'll answer with warped apologetics, but am hoping you'll ponder this metacognitively and live out that scenario. If you find that you indeed would have no inhibitions against killing that person, then you are one of the anomalies. You are a sociopath and need to run as fast as you can back to your bible and start reading.
what on earth is 'metacognabulity"?
Joseph Stalin-Atheist
Mao-Atheist
Pol Pott-Atheist

Where was the human compassion and empathy in the Collesium?
It didn't exist. It was taught to humanity by Christians

Interbane wrote:What I'd hope you'd find is that it isn't dogma that elicits the inhibition to kill. I'd hope you'd find genuine compassion and empathy towards your fellow man. I assure you most if not all atheists here on Booktalk have such compassion and empathy. There is no need for an external source such as the bible to prevent you from killing.
In fact there is and I can prove it but you will not like the proof.
Did you know that it is very hard for a man in China to find a wife? Do you know why?
Because China has a one child law. You can have more than one child, but the government imposes such a added economic burder on families with more than one child that it is a rarity. The solution has been to abort or abandon unwanted babies. Since male children are preferred the result has been a lopsided male population.

In ancient Rome, children born with birth defects should be killed.

Where is the empathy and compassion? You are judging the world from a Western Christian persective. Try a meta thing a ma bob with Chinese eyes.
interbane wrote:
Animals do not have a moral standard of behavior, and thus they cannot behave morally.
Non-sequitur again. They also do not have a standard of eating, but I think they manage to eat quite well. Behaviors don't require standards. Perhaps for fundies, but then that is delusional. What you're referring to is an ad-hoc examination and classification of behavior. Consider the chimpanzee who drowned trying to save a fellow chimpanzee. It does not know that it's action was morally good and utterly unselfish. It doesn't need such knowledge to act morally, since the basic mechanisms for morale behaviors come from within us.
Standard of eating? crickets chirping. You make my point about the chimp except you don't go far enough. It's saving of a fellow chimp is neither moral or amoral. Morality in that discussion is irrelevant.
interbane wrote:
As for the links you posted; PT Barnum said it best, "there's a sucker born every minute." To which I add and they administer grants for silly research projects.
Of course, you're an expert on the topic so you have the right to dismiss the silly non-experts such as Frans de Waal outright. :lol:

We've discussed his book, here's the link.
Hmm, you'll discuss that but not the Bible.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

The little debate shows the difficulty of trying to use logic and reasoning to defend themselves. At some point, you reach rock bottom, and there is no defense except loudly shouting, “I know I’m right!” Once again, we are up against the issue which Lewis Carroll so sharply set forth in his Dialogue: you can’t go on defending your patterns of reasoning forever. There comes a point where faith takes over.

A system of reasoning is like an egg. An egg has a shell which protects its insides. If you want to ship an egg somewhere, though, you don’t rely on the shell. You pack the egg in some sort of container, chosen according to how rough you expect the egg’s journey to be. To be extra careful, you may put the egg inside several nested boxes. However, no matter how many layers of boxes you pack your egg in, you can imagine some cataclysm which could break the egg. But that doesn’t mean that you will never risk transporting your egg. Similarly, one can never give an ultimate, absolute proof that a proof in some system is correct. Of course, one can give a proof of a proof, or a proof of a proof of a proof – but the validity of the outermost system always remains an unproven assumption, accepted on faith. One can always imagine that some unexpected subtlety will invalidate every single level of proof down to the bottom, and that the “proven” result will be seen not to be correct after all.

Pages 192-193
Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid; Douglas R. Hofstadter, Vintage Books, May 1989
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”