• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Krumping? ...what do you think about it?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Krumping? ...what do you think about it?

Unread post

What do you think about this style of dance?
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

A. Looks like break dancing for folks who don't want to get hurt.

B. I might try that style after about 3 too many Starbucks... :P
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Chris, since you're into dancing and strength, check out the this video. Amazing core strength. His name is Bboy Junior, he's from France.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyxlaib9UF0
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

These guys look like what we call "bugs" in the prison system (basically wackos who were put into prison because they are too violent to be in a mental institution), that dance (or whatever you call it) looks a lot like a bug when they spaz out.

Later
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Gee Frank, that sounded a bit judgmental, if not actually hateful. I'd definitely call that dance and, though I didn't see anything really astonishing in the videos Chris posted, the guy in LanDroid's is extraordinary. I can't imagine the muscle work going on there
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

First of all, I was only commenting on the first video, I did not watch the second.

And while it may technically be defined as dancing, I certainly would not compare it with anything that takes discipline, precision or years of practice like ballet or karate.

Lastly... this was not a hateful comment, if you had seen a "bug" wig out I doubt that even you could deny the similarities.

Later
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Well, technical or no Frank, it's dance. It's rhythmic body movement accompanied by music. As I said, I wouldn't necessarily call the first video good dancing, but it's dance. As for the comparison I drew to the skill and body mechanics in martial arts, I was speaking specifically to the third video.
Frank wrote:Lastly... this was not a hateful comment, if you had seen a "bug" wig out I doubt that even you could deny the similarities.
Trust me, I probably wouldn't call people, any people, bugs. When working relatively closely with people who are living in imprisonment, some of whom will be spending the rest of their lives there, I think it's dangerous to incorporate a language that further degrades their humanity. And I mean dangerous for me. I've seen mentally ill people have episodes both in a courtroom and in transport. I hope I would never call them bugs. Distancing myself from such people's humanity destroys a bit of my own. I try to be always aware of that when dealing with defendants on a day-to-day basis, however repulsive the acts that brought them before the court might have been.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Rose
Well, technical or no Frank, its dance. It's rhythmic body movement accompanied by music.
In my opinion it did not amount to much more than free form flailing, but if you want to call it dance that's cool with me.
Rose
As I said, I wouldn't necessarily call the first video good dancing, but its dance. As for the comparison I drew to the skill and body mechanics in martial arts, I was speaking specifically to the third video.
Like I said, I did not watch the other videos.
Rose
Trust me; I probably wouldn't call people, any people, bugs. When working relatively closely with people who are living in imprisonment, some of whom will be spending the rest of their lives there, I think it's dangerous to incorporate a language that further degrades their humanity.
Then you should talk to the inmates about it... "Bug" was coined by them, it is accepted term in that enviroment that is older than I am and if you don't talk the inmate's language you will not go far in corrections.

But it was insensitive at least. Maybe I should have said "loony inmate spazing out".
Rose
I've seen mentally ill people have episodes both in a courtroom and in transport. I hope I would never call them bugs.

That's fine for most people but like I just stated I have to speak that language if I want to understand the inmates.

It never even occurred to me that comparing one thing to another (when they are in fact similar) would be constituted as hateful or judgmental, after all I was not commenting on the dancers themselves, only comparing the dance they were performing with something else I was familiar with.
Rose
Distancing myself from such people's humanity destroys a bit of my own. I try to be always aware of that when dealing with defendants on a day-to-day basis, however repulsive the acts that brought them before the court might have been.
I do not distance myself from anyone's humanity, I simply use the terms that are accepted in that environment. And believe it or not I can make the distinction.

I treat all inmates the same, I mirror the respect that they give me, which has (so far) been good.

Later
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Actually, I think it's kinda awesome. I'd even go so far as to say beautiful.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”