• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Huckleberry Finn/ chapters 7-12

#93: Jan. - Feb. 2011 (Fiction)
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Re: Huckleberry Finn/ chapters 7-12

Unread post

Penelope wrote:We have a lot of obscure Edwardian books where I work, Carley, I'll look out for that one and let you know.

I've just reread giselle's post and realised I read it wrongly. It must have been the wine at dinner last night. The point he was making was the rip roaring adventures as in Boy's Own Paper stuff.
I read Enid Blyton too, and I think you are right, I was referring to what you might call 'rip roaring' adventure with clear and present danger ... I guess EB touches on this sort of adventure, in a gentle, rather British sort of way! But then they are kids books. I do think that the identity of the main, male characters including Huck and Tom, are interwoven with this sense of adventure, despite risk, actually where risk, even mortal risk, is an essential ingredient in both the story and the character and perhaps it could be argued are the measure of a man.
Last edited by giselle on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

Yes, but women were given different adventures. None of us went out swashbuckling.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Some of my favourites along these lines of boy's nature adventure were My Side of the Mountain and Hugh Walters solar system travel adventure Chris Godfrey stories sadly now very rare. Also the Willard Price Adventure series.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

WildCityWoman wrote:Yes, but women were given different adventures. None of us went out swashbuckling.
Perhaps, but I'm reminded of Star Trek, at least the original version, with some notable female characters and I think you could call this 'swashbuckling adventure' ..
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

These chapters describe the way in which Huck Finn and Jim come to embark on an adventure, as we have been discussing, but really this is an adventure that is thrust upon them due to their desperate situations, they are both running for their lives. Jim is a fugitive slave and Huck, while not a fugitive from the law, has faked his own death and is running from a violent and abusive father. This is not an adventure just for fun and excitement, although I think Huck takes it this way. Also, I felt Jim's comments about a man's worth, in his case $800, were quite revealing. It must have been very strange and disempowering to feel that a specific market value has been placed on you. I think this would go to the core of one's identity as a human being. But I liked the way he turned this around to wishing that he had that money and then he would need nothing more. Oddly, he does have this money, not in cash, but in the sense that he is his own man (as long as he is free) and so has the equivalent in 'value' at least as measured by the market.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

giselle wrote:
WildCityWoman wrote:Yes, but women were given different adventures. None of us went out swashbuckling.
Perhaps, but I'm reminded of Star Trek, at least the original version, with some notable female characters and I think you could call this 'swashbuckling adventure' ..
Depends on what age you are, I'd say . . . I was a child - grade school age - in the 40's and 50's . . . there wasn't any Star Trek then.

So, you see, when I say that there wasn't much around for us girls in the way of adventure stories, that's the timeline I'm referring to.

For those of you who were in grade school age during the 70's and on, you wouldn't have felt this lack.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Well, I grew up with Arthur Ransome's - Swallows and Amazons, the girls played quite a major part, and in Enid Blyton's 'Famous Five' books, and also the 'Secret Seven'. Admittedly they are very British...

...But what about Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm. What about Anne of Green Gables. What about Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz. All heroines, just not so swashbuckling. - (How do you swash your buckle?)

What about 'What Katy Did' 'Little Women'....and Heidi???
Oh, I didn't find what girls did in Little Women as adventurous as what the boys are doing in HF. And Anne of Green Gables - but they sure were good books. I enjoy them to this day.

Well, yeah - maybe there was more adventure for girls in some books - don't remember reading any though.

By the time I was 11 or so, our adventure reading was in the comic books. Didn't get interested in actual books again until the late teens.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

I think I was corrupted a bit by William Golding's 'Lord of the Flies' which I first heard as a Radio Play, when I was a little girl.

Then I read, A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes:-
To say A High Wind in Jamaica is a novel about children who are abducted by pirates is to make it seem like a children's book. But that's completely wrong; its theme is actually how heartless children are.

The story begins almost whimsically in Jamaica, with five English children surviving a hurricane. Later on, as the ship is returning to Europe, we enter Treasure Island territory when the vessel is boarded by pirates.

Here's where it gets good, because the pirates and the children begin to switch places. At first the pirates are the brutal ones, drinking heavily and throwing people overboard as pirates will. But the children have such a deformed sense of right and wrong that it's soon the pirates who are frightened of them.

Eventually our heroine, little Emily, murders a man in cold blood — to the pirates' dismay. And when the children are at last rescued to England, our Emily performs one final bit of cruelty as simply as throwing a tea party for her dolls.
I then lost my taste for adventure novels....I became a real girly girl....
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

The portion with Huck's father and Huck faking his own death became tiresome. However, I enjoyed the story once the primary "Huck and Jim on a raft" narrative began. Sometimes I can't follow the details of raft & canoe manipulation, but otherwise it's a good story.

I was surprised how superstitious Huck and Jim were. That's probably a reflection of the time and place where the story took place.
DWill wrote:Women can tell me if I'm wrong here, but one aspect of this book appeals most deeply to men, or maybe the boys within the men. That's the element of chucking it all to embark on a grand adventure, living off the land or off the water, having no responsibilities and bonding with another male.
I don't see it that way, in part because Jim and Huck face more serious responsibilities that I've ever dealt with. As someone who's never faced any physical danger, haven't raised a family, and never worried about my physical needs, my life has much easier. I'd be totally inept and stressed out in the situations Huck and Jim find themselves in.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Julian wrote:

As someone who's never faced any physical danger, haven't raised a family, and never worried about my physical needs, my life has much easier. I'd be totally inept and stressed out in the situations Huck and Jim find themselves in.
Well, that's what Baden Powell's Boy Scout movement was for I suppose. :wink:
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - by Mark Twain”