• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Guns, Germs, and Steel

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
caseyjo
The Great Gabsby

Guns, Germs, and Steel

Unread post

I know this book was discussed here long before I became a member, and reading that archived forum is pretty enjoyable. I started reading this after seeing it on many of my friends' bookshelves. I thought it sounded pretty interesting, so I picked up a copy. As soon as I did, a number of people have noticed me reading it and told me what a good book they thought it was. And they're right.

I'm about halfway through it, and it has really changed the way I think about historical events. It's so easy to think about Western Civilization in terms of progress and ingenuity, but Jared Diamond makes an excellent case for why geography plays a huge factor.

If you're interested in his work in general, you can check out a quick Ted talk by Jared Diamond.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Re: Guns, Germs, and Steel

Unread post

This book is on my to read list. I picked up a really nice copy at goodwill. The goodwill near my house is awesome. I get a lot of great books there. =)

Return to “What are you currently reading?”