• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Chapter 14: Antiscience

#136: Feb. - Mar. 2015 (Non-Fiction)
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Re: Chapter 14: Antiscience

Unread post

Interbane:

Can't we feed our souls with food that doesn't contain delusional ingredients?
Yes, we can if we are spiritually hungry enough. We don't just accept other mens' creeds.....Can't stop searching for meaning because it's what matters to us. If we try to stop caring and searching...we feel as though we might as well lie down and die.

It is not a virtue, it is just the way some of us are. Do you know The Eagles song 'Desperado'? Your pain and your hunger, they're drivin' you home.... .....That's what it's like....

Oh, but I must add here, that I understand that everyone isn't like this. Some people have a different kind of hunger......and that's OK.
In the world today many people think that one can do without religion, and that they themselves have outgrown religion by reason of their evolution. Many have no religious belief, and therefore the world has never been in a more chaotic condition. No doubt one finds in tradition and in history that in the name of religion the selfishness and ignorance of mankind have been given free reign. This is the reason why man, revolting against this state of things, has forsaken religion and forgotten that spirit which, in the name of religion, has also played its part in the world.

Inayat Khan - the founder of The Sufi Order in the West

But as Shakespeare says,
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
Farewell, my blessing season this in thee!
Last edited by Penelope on Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Penelope wrote:We don't just accept other mens' creeds.....Can't stop searching for meaning because it's what matters to us. If we try to stop caring and searching...we feel as though we might as well lie down and die.
That doesn't parse with what happens when children become indoctrinated. They accept other men's creeds. Even if it's one of the tens of thousands of Christian denominations, or another religion entirely. That is the acceptance of another man's creed, even if you take the creed and sprinkle your own seasoning on it.

Depending on how you define creed, it appears everyone is guilty of this. A scientist accepts the creeds of the professors from whom he learns his discipline. But the way I see a creed is that it is based on authority and not process. It's the difference between memorizing that 4x(6+4)=40, and learning the process that calculates the result.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

In the world today many people think that one can do without religion, and that they themselves have outgrown religion by reason of their evolution. Many have no religious belief, and therefore the world has never been in a more chaotic condition. No doubt one finds in tradition and in history that in the name of religion the selfishness and ignorance of mankind have been given free reign. This is the reason why man, revolting against this state of things, has forsaken religion and forgotten that spirit which, in the name of religion, has also played its part in the world.

Inayat Khan - the founder of The Sufi Order in the West
I was brought up in the Church of England and went to a CofE School. We would be confirmed into the faith at the age of 12 years or so.....and we then were requred to know the creed and the catechism off by heart:

The catechism went:-
Question. What is your Name?

Answer. N. or M.

Question. Who gave you this Name?

Answer. My Godfathers and Godmothers in my Baptism; wherein I was made a member of Christ, the child of God, and an inheritor of the kingdom of heaven.

Question. What did your Godfathers and Godmothers then for you?

Answer. They did promise and vow three things in my name. First, that I should renounce the devil and all his works, the pomps and vanity of this wicked world, and all the sinful lusts of the flesh. Secondly, that I should believe all the articles of the Christian faith. And thirdly, that I should keep God's holy will and commandments, and walk in the same all the days of my life.
This is just the beginning. It is quite long.....but this is the bit that I remember....because it made me begin to question rather than indoctrinate me. I was quite bemused by the devil and all his works, and the pomps and vanity of this wicked world......and....as for all the sinful lusts of the flesh......I couldn't imagine what my Godparents had renounced on my behalf.

and of course when I was a little older I thought the lusts of the flesh were the best thing....and I wouldn't have dreamt of renouncing them...LOL

I honestly think it is just that I found it all very interesting.....and I am still quite fascinated by various religions and their tenets. Most people are not the least bit interested......they might be loyal to their faith.....and quite pious, but not really interested in the actual history and meaning or lack of........

As I have said....it isn't a virtue.....It is just what I find interesting and important. I know that others don't find it in the least interesting by the glazed look that covers their countenances....and I have lost quite a few friends that way. So, now I don't tell em....unless they ask. Which they do from time to time.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “Demon-Haunted World: Science As a Candle in the Dark - by Carl Sagan with Ann Druyan”