• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Ch. 2: The Hypothesis of Historicity (On the Historicity of Jesus by Richard Carrier)

#143: Jan. - Mar. 2016 (Non-Fiction)
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: Ch. 2: The Hypothesis of Historicity (On the Historicity of Jesus by Richard Carrier)

Unread post

all good clips DB, Muggeridge and co. looked like complete pompous twats :lol:

they don't like it up 'em captain mainwaring :-D
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Re: Ch. 2: The Hypothesis of Historicity (On the Historicity of Jesus by Richard Carrier)

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:The term Gnostic is a complex and disputed one. I consider Saint Mark the greatest Gnostic, by which I mean that he grounded his faith in knowledge rather than belief, even while he presented belief as the ground for popular faith.

In the interview between Elaine Pagels and Miguel Connor linked by DWill above, the problem of multiple Gnosticisms is discussed, for example on whether the creation is good. If we think of Gnosis as the divine knowledge that supports Christian belief, we can begin to read the Gospels and the rest of the Bible in an allegorical framework that is compatible with modern science by asking in what sense knowledge of divinity is possible. In this regard, my opinion is that the orthodox canon mostly has a greater depth of spiritual wisdom than much Gnostic literature.

I do not think that Saint Mark intended for the inner church to take literally his stories about the historical Jesus. These stories rather had the political intent of producing traction for a mass movement, an outer church, aimed at the long game of destroying the moral legitimacy and divine mandate of Roman imperial rule. As far as Mark's intent is concerned, the literal use of his gospel through the suppression of the inner church by the outer church has the appearance of a slow accident.
This is all rather odd. I obviously agree with you that the orthodox canon has greater depth than the Gnostic literature.
And it's widely agreed by scholars that the Gnostic literature is later.
Of course some would like to present Gnosticism as the original and authentic Christianity despite this. In the final analysis both you and others like Elaine Pagels are attempting to rewrite early Christian history based on conjecture and conspiracy theory.

There is no conflict between Mark and the apostolic letters of Paul, Peter and John on the historicity of Jesus. I know Doherty and Carrier assert this, but they simply don't deal with the texts in a reasonable way.

We get all kinds of conspiracy theories. We have to have much earlier suppression of conflicting views for this to work.

The historical evidence doesn't support this. You 'sceptics' need to be willing to question the assertions of Elaine Pagels also,and whether her 'reconstruction' of early Christian history is itself accurate or her thesis credible.

http://www.thirdmill.org/newfiles/mat_g ... agels.html

I would add that the idea of political subversion of Roman rule is not compatible with the endorsement by Jesus in the gospels of rendering to Caesar, or by Paul and Peter's injunctions to submit to the powers that be.

Historically the only point of conflict involved the compulsory worship of Caesar as divine.
Last edited by Flann 5 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

DWill wrote:
we have basically no Christian literature except the Gospels for the half century or so after Paul, which is readily explained by the abundantly documented mass destruction of heretical literature on pain of death. That is a conspiracy.
Please tell me that Carrier doesn't accept this gap at face value as proof of destruction by enemies of divergent viewpoints. I'd have less respect for him as a historian if he does.
This gap is not proof. For that we should look to suggestions such as the Festal Letter of Athanasius that you quoted in the Pagels interview to destroy all heresy.

https://carm.org/early-church-fathers-scripture provides the following useful sources for Church Father views. These canonical opinions help explain why almost everything except the Gospels has mysteriously gone missing from Christian records of the second half of the first century.
Early Church Fathers Quotes on Scripture Alone is final Authority
by Matt Slick
1. Scripture Alone is final Authority
1. Irenaeus, (130-202), “We have known the method of our salvation by no other means than those by whom the gospel came to us; which gospel they truly preached; but afterward, by the will of God, they delivered to us in the Scriptures, to be for the future the foundation and pillar of our faith,” (Adv. H. 3:1).
2. Clement of Alexandria (150?-213?), “They that are ready to spend their time in the best things will not give over seeking for truth until they have found the demonstration from the Scriptures themselves,” (Stromata 7:16:3).
3. Origen (185?-252), “No man ought, for the confirmation of doctrines, to use books which are not canonized Scriptures,” (Tract. 26 in Matt.).
4. St. Cyprian of Carthage (200?-258), “Whence comes this tradition? Does it descend from the Lord’s authority, or from the commands and epistles of the apostles? For those things are to be done which are there written . . . If it be commanded in the gospels or the epistles and Acts of the Apostles, then let this holy tradition be observed,” (Cyprian of Carthage, Ep. 74 ad Pompeium).
5. Athanasius (300?-375),
1. “The Holy Scriptures, given by inspiration of God, are of themselves sufficient toward the discovery of truth. (Orat. adv. Gent., ad cap.) The Catholic Christians will neither speak nor endure to hear anything in religion that is a stranger to Scripture; it being an evil heart of immodesty to speak those things which are not written,” (Athanasius, Exhort. ad Monachas).
2. "5. Again it is not tedious to speak of the [books] of the New Testament. These are the four Gospels, the Acts of the Apostles and seven Catholic Epistles, fourteen Epistles of Pau, and the Revelation of John. 6 These are fountains of salvation, that they who thirst may be satisfied with the living words they contain. In these alone is proclaimed the doctrine of godliness. Let no man add to these, neither let him take ought from these. (Athanasius, Festal Letter 39:5-6).
3. "Vainly then do they run about with the pretext that they have demanded Councils for the faith's sake; for divine Scripture is sufficient above all things (Athanasius, De Synodis, 6).
6. Ambrose (340?-396), “How can we use those things which we do not find in the Holy Scriptures?” (Ambr. Offic., 1:23).
7. Cyril of Jerusalem (315?-386), “Not even the least of the divine and holy mysteries of the faith ought to be handed down without the divine Scriptures. Do not simply give faith to me speaking these things to you except you have the proof of what I say from the divine Scriptures. For the security and preservation of our faith are not supported by ingenuity of speech, but by the proofs of the divine Scriptures,” (Cat. 4).
8. Jerome (342?-420), “Those things which they make and find, as it were, by apostolical tradition, without the authority and testimony of Scripture, the word of God smites. (ad Aggai 1) As we deny not those things that are written, so we refuse those things that are not written. That God was born of a virgin we believe, because we read it; that Mary did marry after she was delivered we believe not, because we do not read it,” (Adv. Helvidium).
9. Basil (330-379), "Now I accept no newer creed written for me by other men, nor do I venture to propound the outcome of my own intelligence, lest I make the words of true religion merely human words; but what I have been taught by the holy Fathers, that I announce to all who question me. In my Church the creed written by the holy Fathers in synod at Nicea is in use." (To the Church of Antioch, Epistle 140:2).
10. Ambrose (340?-396), "Wherefore all other generations are strangers to truth; all the generations of heretics hold not the truth: the church alone, with pious affection, is in possession of the truth," (Commentary of Psalm 118,19).
11. Cyril of Jerusalem (315?-386), "But in learning the Faith and in professing it, acquire and keep that only, which is now delivered to thee by the Church, and which has been built up strongly out of all the Scriptures." Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lectures, 5:12 (A.D. 350).
12. Gregory of Nyssa (330-394), “And let no one interrupt me, by saying that what we confess should also be confirmed by constructive reasoning: for it is enough for proof of our statement, that the tradition has come down to us from our Fathers, handled on, like some inheritance, by succession from the apostles and the saints who came after them," (Against Eunomius, 4:6).
DWill wrote: He has a skeptic's duty to track down all the relevant facts and circumstances. A number of questions should be addressed before anyone arrives as such a conclusion. The first that comes to me is why is there nothing in the way of Christian literature, if there has been such a mass destruction by an orthodox power? Wouldn't we expect to find the right literature to have survived?
The remarkable point made by Carrier is indeed that outside of Divine Holy Scripture, there is no Christian literature from this crucial period for two generations after Paul. Strange but true, and quite understandable given the negative attitudes of the Church Fathers I have quoted above.
DWill wrote: claims of particular conspiracies, such as the one mentioned above, will impede its acceptance. This is so because of lack of evidence but also, in certain cases, because of lack of basic plausibility.
You seem to be claiming that there is other first century Christian literature outside the Bible. There are some short letters which may date from after 90 AD, but as Carrier explains, that is all. The destruction was quite comprehensive, as the Fathers demanded.
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Flann 5 wrote: The historical evidence doesn't support this. You 'sceptics' need to be willing to question the assertions of Elaine Pagels also,and whether her 'reconstruction' of early Christian history is itself accurate or her thesis credible.

http://www.thirdmill.org/newfiles/mat_g ... agels.html
That is something I'm willing to do, question her assertions. I haven't read The Gospel of Thomas, but am reading The Gnostic Gospels and haven't seen anything that makes me think she's reconstructing. She refers to works that figures such as Irenaeus and Tertullian blasted as heretical and finds that the content they criticize match much of the contents of the Nag Hammadi material. Even though those manuscripts are thought to have been produced in the fourth century, they can reasonably be thought of as reflecting beliefs current in the second century due the fact that "catholic Christians" denounced writings that sound similar. She doesn't claim that the gnostic writings have very early dates, although she mentions one scholar who believes a part of them might.

Are you familiar with The Gnostic Gospels? I'm wondering whether Pagels takes a different view of Christian history in The Gospel of Thomas or whether her views are essentially the same in both books.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

DWill wrote:That is something I'm willing to do, question her assertions. I haven't read The Gospel of Thomas, but am reading The Gnostic Gospels and haven't seen anything that makes me think she's reconstructing.
Hi Dwill. Irenaeus "Against Heresies" is quite late c175-185A.D. I gather. There were dissident groups like the Docetists quite early and even Paul and John are responding to some of these ideas in the first century. I haven't read her book on the Gnostic gospels.

I don't think her minimizing of early beliefs in favour of ethics is warranted, and the criticism that she is effectively disregarding Paul on what the gospel actually is,would be an example of this.

Everything is undecided in the first century on her view and Irenaeus is the villain who determines orthodoxy in the late 2nd century.
The Gnostic gospels are considered later and derivative from the canonical ones by most scholars.Gnosticism itself is earlier of course and the impression I get is that those who liked these ideas applied them to the Christian teachings.

To make the gospel of Thomas primary and John a reaction to it without good evidence for this as Pagels does,seems to be turning things on their head.

If the supernatural is ruled out for whatever reason the gospels and Christian history will remain enigmatic. They must be later embellishments or Robert's allegories.

Neither of these are satisfactory I think, but that's what's left as options.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Flann wrote:Neither of these are satisfactory I think
yes it is so much more satisfactory to believe in the supernatural resurrection from the dead and things like "Satan is a fallen angel. A conscious intelligent malevolent spiritual being."

yes that is way more satisfactory :-D

and if you aren't washed in the blood well, you are going to hell my friend, Jesus loves you but you gotta bow the knee now or you'll be forced to later, because every knee will bow. :chatsmilies_com_92:

Jesus: knock knock!
you: who's there?
Jesus: it's Jesus, let me in!
you: why?
Jesus: so i can save you!
you: save me from what?
Jesus: from what I'm going to do with you if you don't let me in :lol:
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

If only all the unbelievers on this board could see how wrong they are.

If only Chris and Interbane and geo and DWill and Taylor and Robert and well.... Everyone could see how inevitable a personal supernatural interventionist deity is, if only they could accept the virgin born son of a shellfish banning slavery condoning God. If only they could suspend disbelief long enough to accept an ancient book that is a mish mash of lots of old ideas as the inerrant word of God, if only they didn't expect it to make sense....

Oh well

As the good book says It's foolishness to those that perish anyway :-D
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Flann wrote:the impression I get is that those who liked these ideas applied them to the Christian teachings.
hmmm "applied" seems to be a synonym for "copied" to you Flann

"Now the image of God is the Word, by which all the world was made."

– Philo, "The Special Laws", I (81)

New Testament, John 1:1-3
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
So here we have the Holy Spirit inspiring the apostle John to rip off Philo!?!?! :lol:

or perhaps the Holy Spirit travelled back in time to inspire Philo so John could rip him off, yeah that must be it :-D

Return to “On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt - by Richard Carrier”