• In total there are 6 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

1001 Books You Must Read

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
arukiyomi
Master Debater

Re: 1001 Books You Must Read

Unread post

Most people who say "Hmmm, they didn't include X" and cite some literary classic usually haven't looked at the actual 1001 books book itself but judge the work simply from the list online. The 1001 book explains clearly in its introduction that the list is a collection that attempts to trace the history of the novel with each work contributing something important to the development of that genre.

Thus, plays, religious texts, poetry etc, with very few exceptions (Eugene Onegin being a notable one, but the only one I can think of off the top of my head) are not included in the list. Hence, Goethe's Faust and the Divine Comedy do not feature. You may, of course, be critical of this focus on novels and I think there's weight behind the argument that it should be called 1001 Novels... and not just books. But I hope that explanation explains what seem like glaring omissions.
Last edited by arukiyomi on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Yeah, that list is a bit depressing. It's hard to not feel like an illiterate loser when comparing your own list of books to that 1001 list. I think a better list would be the "100 Greatest Books Ever Written" by Easton Press. I'll create a thread for that list to see what you guys have read.
Znake

Unread post

Interesting list indeed, a few of those books have made it onto my blog as well, at www.ratemybooks.com
Aqueda_Veronica
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Oh my gosh, I've only read 36 so 3.6% :O
"From childhood's hour I have not been as others were
I have not seen as others saw
I could not bring my passions from a common spring
From the same source I have not taken my sorrow
I could not awake my heart to joy at the same tone
And all I loved - I loved alone"

E.A.Poe
Sal_McCoy
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

It is an interesting list, especially how it has changed over the years.

I've read 41 books from the most recent list and am interested in reading only 50 of the remaining books.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon
arukiyomi
Master Debater

Unread post

Well, I haven't posted on this thread for a while. Been busy reading the list... and making the the iPhone app to help you track progress with the list:
itunes.apple.com/lv/app/1001-books/id50 ... 1&mt=8

should be available for Android etc in a couple of months.

To get the latest updates on the app, you can "Like" our Facebook page:
facebook.com/pages/1001-Books-App/28924 ... 2394463476
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

Seems like a pretty arbitrary list, at least for a lot of them.

I thought about trying to go through "the classics" at some point, but then I figure I don't want to feel obligated to read books that I'm really not that interested in.
arukiyomi
Master Debater

Unread post

not arbitrary at all actually. In the intro to the book, Boxall clearly spells out that the purpose of the list is to chart the development of the artform of the novel worldwide. Each novel has a place in that development which each book description elaborates on.
Coralie1960
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:Since I have no life, am incredibly curious, and am obsessive-compulsive/anal retentive, I decided to go through the entire list and pick out which books I have read, plan to read, or have not read but seen as a movie or musical. The results are as follows:
Bleachededen's list is so much more manageable than the originial 1001! I have read many of the books on the abbreviated list, also. I am a teacher, and we use many of these books in our English class, including "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", which we are reading right now.

The 1001 title list is just way too long. However, I think that any list is good to provide recommendations. I used to read more booklists, but don't have time any more especially one as long as this one.

Coralie
Mitya
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

130 for me from the original 2006 list, but it's still pretty laughable in some of its inclusions. The argument that each work has some seminal weight behind it just doesn't hold water, especially with the way it blatantly loots vast sections of some oeuvres just for the sake of making up numbers.

Return to “Everything Else”