• In total there are 13 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Do you prefer fiction or nonfiction?

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
Veneer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Re: Do you prefer fiction or nonfiction?

Unread post

I prefer non-fiction to fiction, although I can enjoy a good novel every now and again. I tend to fall in an out of interests and my reading follows the interest. Some of the best non-fiction books I have read are:

Death of a President by William Manchester (reads like fiction and yes it was written in a more innocent age)

The Best and The Brightest by David Halberstam

Bright and Shining Lie Neel Sheenan.

The Fifties. David Halberstam

Freedom From Fear. David Kennedy

The Reformation Diarmaid MacCulloch
“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

"In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time." Edward P. Tryon
GaryG48
Sophomore

Unread post

Veneer wrote:I prefer non-fiction to fiction, although I can enjoy a good novel every now and again. I tend to fall in an out of interests and my reading follows the interest. Some of the best non-fiction books I have read are:

Death of a President by William Manchester (reads like fiction and yes it was written in a more innocent age)
I picked up Death of a President on Veneer's recommendation. He is right twice. It reads like a novel and is from a more innocent age.
I have always been a Manchester fan The Glory and the Dream is my favorite. American Caesar made him rich and famous but the shock value of "Dug-out Doug MacArthur was a mommas-boy tin soldier" is long gone.
--Gary

"Freedom is feeling easy in your harness" --Robert Frost
lms20
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I currently prefer non-fiction, but there was a time years-ago when I preferred fiction. And I suspect my tastes may change again. I tend to get more impatient with fiction if I don't find it engaging. I am apt to quit a fiction book if it is not resonating with me by the first chapter. With non-fiction, I am more patient because I think I am learning something with each new chapter.

I remember the line "Non-fiction is about fact, Fiction is about truth". Which makes sense to me. And a good fiction story can really resonate with truths that I understand or show me a new way of seeing things, but the characters, dialog, and plot have to work harder to hold my attention then they have to do with non-fiction.

I think of the thought
Wine and Books
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote: Fiction relaxes me more than nonfiction, and I find it a better choice right before bed.
Fascinating. I prefer fiction to non fiction (although not by much). I mostly read non fiction before going to sleep because I have had far too many 1 AM evenings getting lost in a novel.
A good book is only made better with a glass of wine........
Garrethobrien92
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Well i read both a work of fiction and non- fiction simultaneously, and frankly, value both. it all really comes down to the kind of mood your in.
s.kundan
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I like both and choose depending on my state of mind. Currently I am reading The LAST LECTURE by Randy Pausch and I am finding it interesting.
Kundan
Stack your Rack
The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them. - Mark Twain
bestbuyingbooks
Official Newbie!

Unread post

www.allbuybooks.com has over 74000 new and used titles.
All Textbooks
• Architecture
• Business and Finance
• Computer Science
• Education
• Engineering
• Humanities
• Law
• Medicine
• Reference
• Science
• Social Sciences
• Study Guides
• General AAS
• Antiques and Collectibles
• Art
• Biography and Autobiography
• Cooking
• Crafts and Hobbies
• Family and Relationships
• Fiction Genres
• Games
• Gardening
• History
• House & Home
• Humor
• Juvenile Fiction
• Literary Collections
• Mathematics
• Medical
• Music
• Performing Arts
• Pets
• Photography
• Psychology
• Religion
• Sports and Recreation
• Study Aids
• Technology and Engineering
• Travel Books
• Audio Books
• Children Books
• Christian Books
• Comics
• Drama
• Entertainment
• Fiction
• Foreign Language Study
• Investing
• Gay & Lesbian
• Health, Mind & Body
• Juvenile Nonfiction
• Language Arts
• Literary Criticism
• Mystery & Thrillers
• Nature
• Nonfiction
• Outdoors & Nature
• Parenting & Families
• Professional & Technical
• Philosophy
• Poetry
• Political Science
• Reference
• Romance
• Science
• Transportation
• True Crime
• Teens
• Astronomy Books
• Fantasy Books
• Earth Science Books
• Environmental Sciences Books
• Space Books
• Online Science Books

I always buy my books from this website. The price is very low. I saved almost 50% Their shipping is very quick and trustworthy.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”