• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Do you prefer fiction or nonfiction?

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

Unread post

Fiction has a tendency to captivate the reader, something non fiction does not have.
bluberri

i like fiction the most

Unread post

Most of the time when asked this question I would pick fiction books, but sometimes when I find the topics to be quite interesting than i pick non-fiction. I think it's all the matter of the subject.
Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

Unread post

Id prefer Fiction. It possesses a good storyline that I can cling onto. But if the Nonfiction book is an adventerous biography, i could live with it.
"The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man who cannot read books." - Mark Twain

"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die." - Hands Held High, Made Famous by Linkin Park
SharcBate1
Almost Comfortable

Fiction :D

Unread post

Fiction Anyday
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

fiction or non fiction

Unread post

I'm reading something interesting now. It's called "What is the What", Dave Eggers. He mixes fact with fiction. It's about the "lost boys" of the Sudan, escaping the horrors of Africa in the 80's. This may be something you guys might like. It certainly reads like a novel, but the horrors the main character suffers are real.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

fiction or non fiction

Unread post

Oh, by the way,

Iluvbookz13 wrote:
But if the Nonfiction book is an adventerous biography, i could live with it.
"What is the What", most certainly falls under this catagory. I think you would like it Luv.
poettess
All Star Member

Unread post

I too will pick fiction as my favorite reading material. The REASON I pick fiction, however, may surprise you. I personally feel that one rarely reaches a level of metaphor, deep thought and relateable knowledge through non-fiction but through fiction, one can get across very real subjects to people in a way that engages them and speaks to our inner selves, not what we perceive ourselves to be on the outside, but what we want to be on the inside...our real selves. This turns a lot of fiction into a direct line to what is real and true to many, whereas a lot of non-fiction I read seems like a bunch of hooey to me anyways and I do not relate to it. Personal stories tend to grab me more than research in many cases, but still not as good as a soaring metaphor for the inner psyche.
Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

Unread post

Although fiction is often a bunch more enticing and typically interests me on the first page, a well prepared Non-Fiction book such as Die Trying: One Man's Quest to Conqeur the Seven Summits really engaged me. If it has some action and is not entirely facts and biographical, I can read it.
"The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man who cannot read books." - Mark Twain

"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die." - Hands Held High, Made Famous by Linkin Park
Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

Unread post

poettess wrote:The REASON I pick fiction, however, may surprise you. I personally feel that one rarely reaches a level of metaphor, deep thought and relateable knowledge through non-fiction but through fiction, one can get across very real subjects to people in a way that engages them and speaks to our inner selves, not what we perceive ourselves to be on the outside, but what we want to be on the inside...our real selves. This turns a lot of fiction into a direct line to what is real and true to many, whereas a lot of non-fiction I read seems like a bunch of hooey to me anyways and I do not relate to it. Personal stories tend to grab me more than research in many cases, but still not as good as a soaring metaphor for the inner psyche.
That's definately true. Nicely said :clap:

kiwimeg
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I prefer non-fiction. I used to be an avid fiction reader, but too many lit classes at uni spoiled the fun . . . and I discovered the joys of non-fiction.

That being said, I am a huge Terry Pratchett fan . . . :up:

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”