• In total there are 33 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 33 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

You should thank me for The Orville but it is doomed.

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

You should thank me for The Orville but it is doomed.

Unread post

I was 11 years old on September 8th 1966 and I remember that date because of a television show I saw premier that night. The show was Star Trek and as far as I know that is the only television premier for which I remember where I was when I saw it. I was a fan and watched Star Trek 'religiously'. One day I heard that NBC* was not going to renew Star Trek for a third season. In a panic, I wrote a letter imploring NBC not to cancel Star Trek. I was not the only one who wrote a letter. In the days before social media campaigns, enough people felt as I did that NBC decided to renew ST. ST did return for a third season, but NBC scheduled it in a very bad time slot and ST's run ended after the third season.

So, what does that have to do with the program The Orville? If ST had not returned for season 3, there would not have been enough episodes to make ST economically viable for syndication and it was in syndication that if built its following.

I was not thrilled with all of the Star Trek products. I liked the original show. I watched the animated series for want of anything else. I rejoiced when the moving came out and I liked ST The Next Generation. I was and am not a fan of Star Trek Enterprise, Deep Space Nine, Voyager or any others I have not mentioned and though I liked the ST shows I have listed, I did NOT like the episodes where the audience was being preached at, and that is the problem with The Orville. The Orville had some promise, but it has shown itself to be not only highly preachy, but plagiaristic and and WRONG.

A recent episode, If The Stars Should Appear (ITSSA), was essentially a rip-off of the 8th episode of the 3rd season of the original Star Trek. The episonde was titled, For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky. The problem with ITSSA is that the episode insists on a side story about the autocratic religious leaders who brutally kill anyone who contradicts the "scriptures" which claim there are no other worlds. This is clearly a hit on Christianity. The writers and produces of TO should have done their homework. I refer them to Medieval Cosmology: Theories of Infinity, Place, Time, Void, and the Plurality of Worlds by Pierre Duhem amazon.com/Medieval-Cosmology-Theories- ... +cosmologh.

It would be tolerable if TO occasionally deviated into an overly didactic mode but it appears to be an underlying reason for the show's existence, and they get it wrong to boot.

I suppose that had I not written that letter, 50 years ago, ST would not have made it to syndication, and TO would not exist. I suspect that the appetite for TO will be very small and the show will vanish, unless they stop the stupid programming.

*Trivia note: There were only 3 networks in those days, NBC, CBS and the newest addition, ABC
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Murmur
Internet Sage

Re: You should thank me for The Orville but it is doomed.

Unread post

Sadly, Star Trek's third season was mostly bad.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”