Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:34 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Why *do* you believe in God? 

Post Why *do* you believe in God?
Given the comments in the "why don't you believe in God" thread, I've changed my mind, and decided it would be very worthwhile to include a poll about reasons for believing in God.

I didn't actually expect that these polls would generate more than...well...votes, so I'm really excited that the others have inspired some discussion, and obviously hope this one does too.

So please feel free to vote, and provide any personal insights or general comments that you think are relevant.

Belief in God is comforting, relieving, consoling, and gives meaning and purpose to life.
The experience of God in everyday life/a feeling that God is in us.
Arguments based on good design/natural beauty/perfection/complexity of the world or universe.
Just because/faith/or the need to believe in something.
Without God there would be no morality.

Show results

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:04 am

Post Re: Why *do* you believe in God?

I also just wanted to add here that I really hope that the theists on this board do *not* feel alienated or threatened by the undeniably atheist bent on this site. As long as posts are thoughtful and respectful, it's always exciting to read and discuss other people's points of view.

Nicole

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:07 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Almost Comfortable

I believe in God because I believe in Love and Life.
I have been married to the same man for 37 years
a man who I eloped with after knowing less than 90 days.
I have raised three children with him and marveled at their appearance on earth.
You cannot see "Love" nor can you see pain or any emotion -you can just feel it.
So too when you look at the beauty of the universe and the organization and the wonders of nature --you can feel there is some Divinity/ Beauty/ Awesome Power.
I believe man is a part of the Universe but he is not the best or the favorite--I don't think he is the apex of creation.
One of my pet peeves is that Man thinks he above all animals and scientists try to prove how superior we are to animals and yet if we are superior--how come we have not figured out ways to communicate with these lesser beings.
Perhaps God is the Life Force.
May it be with you -----

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:32 am

deannafrances;
first of all, take this in the way it was intended: honest open debate, and not an "attack" on your views.

You claim that science is the cause of an athropocentric worldview. Nothing could be further from the truth. Need I remind you of the uproar caused by the publication of Darwin's Origin of species? To even consider that man were related to 'vulgar' apes was pure blasphemy! Nowadays however all educated people see that men are not only related to apes...we ARE apes.
I have never seen any scientist attemp to prove humans "superior" to other animals. Were someone to attempt that, I doubt that they would find much support from the scientific community at large at all. In fact, anyone with a good understanding of evolution realises that the concept of a "superior" creature existing today is pure nonsense...all creatures in existence today are all on the same rung of the ladder of evolution on the basis that their lineage have survived so many years.

Second you talk about an appreciation for love, life and beauty as a basis for a faith in god. I have heard this argument many many times before, but I still cannot fathom it.
I have a profoud appreciation for the wonders and mysteries of life and the universe. Everything from particle physics to looking around at nature fills we with wonder and awe. I have every bit as much of a sense of wonderment as you claim to have. My question remains, how do these facts logically conclude with the existence of god?

Edited by: CSflim at: 3/5/04 4:05 pm

Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:23 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Stupendously Brilliant

:rolleyes I just managed to put a vote for argument from design. Sorry. I'm a douche.

I believe in God because I do. Thats what it comes down to really. To me, God is more real than anything else. And I can't explain that to you. I'm not going to offer any rationalisation, because there isn't any.

Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:10 pm

Quote:
One of my pet peeves is that Man thinks he above all animals and scientists try to prove how superior we are to animals and yet if we are superior--how come we have not figured out ways to communicate with these lesser beings.

deannafrances

I think that CSflim already touched upon the claim about scientists and superiority, but I need to ask you a few questions.

What do you mean by figuring "out ways to communicate with these lesser beings"?

What do you mean by communicate? When I talk to my dog an he responds, does that qualify as communication?

Which "beings" are you referring to? Do plants, fungi, insects, worms ,etc fall into the category of beings we should be able to communicate with? On what level?

Since you mentioned that as a "pet peeve" and within the context of why you believe in God, I thought it would be helpful to get some clarification.

Eric

Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:56 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.