Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:43 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Who would like to be the book discussion leader for Round 2? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Who would like to be the book discussion leader for Round 2?
As the forum description explains we have pulled this forum out of our Archives for Round 2. A decade ago way back in September and October of 2002 we discussed "Guns, Germs & Steel" as a community. We were a brand new community in 2002. Now that we're more established I'm hoping we can give this book another stab and maybe even invite Jared Diamond for either a live chat or email interview.

This new discussion period will be November and December of 2011. If enough people join the discussion we can extend it into 2012.

Would one of you like to take the helm as discussion leader?

Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:22 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor

Post Re: Who would like to be the book discussion leader for Round 2?
There's nothing like an incentive to keep one on track, so I'll volunteer to lead the discussion. I think if anybody else wants also to consider him- or herself a discussion leader, then why not? We're very democratic here.

Chris, I suggest not posting all the chapters right off the bat, but just the intro on Yali and the first main section of the book, "From Eden to Cajamarca." We can tackle this long book as four shorter ones.

I hope Robert Tulip will participate. He has a lot of experience in New Guinea. Diamond refers to his own New Guinea experience several times in the book.

Could we have an idea of the readiness of people to start discussion? Who is on board? I suggest starting with the introduction and any other bits about the book or Diamond that people find interesting. Then we can take time to read the first section and have a discussion when people are finished. That would kind of imitate how the social, "real world" book groups work.

The following user would like to thank DWill for this post:
Robert Tulip, Saffron
Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:24 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

You have me thinking now...and that can be dangerous.

There are already dozens of threads in this forum. Most of those members no longer are even active here so we probably don't want those threads being brought back to life. I think I'm going to lock all the old threads. They'll remain there for reference, but we don't need current members making comments to the inactive members that posted in those older threads. Chaos will ensue and the new posts will never get responses. So all will be locked right now. Whenever this forum gets tucked back in the archives (many months from now) we will unlock all the older threads again.

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
Saffron
Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:55 pm
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Oh, and thanks for volunteering to lead this one, DWill. As you can see your name is yet again up in lights. ;-)

Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:58 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I can has reading?

Silver Contributor

Chris OConnor wrote:
Oh, and thanks for volunteering to lead this one, DWill. As you can see your name is yet again up in lights. ;-)

If this were FaceBook I'd click the "like" button - hey, maybe you should add a "like" button along with the "thank" button.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:24 am
Profile Email
I can has reading?

Silver Contributor

DWill wrote:

Chris, I suggest not posting all the chapters right off the bat, but just the intro on Yali and the first main section of the book, "From Eden to Cajamarca." We can tackle this long book as four shorter ones.

I'm just finishing up chap 1 and I think your suggestion to treat this book as 4 shorter ones is a smashingly good idea. It even makes sense based on what Diamond writes in his intro to the book. What I am wondering is if we - any of us- are going to watch and discuss the National Geo version. If so, should we have another thread just for the video? I plan to start watching on Sunday and am reading and ready to get this show going.

The following user would like to thank Saffron for this post:
DWill
Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:05 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.