• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 736 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:38 am

Who will be reading?

#41: Nov. - Dec. 2007 (Non-Fiction)
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Who will be reading?

Unread post

Just got my copy from the library today.

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
seeker
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Unread post

I will be reading the book. I have ordered it from Amazon, but haven't received it yet.
jales4
Intern

Unread post

I'm waiting for my copy to come from Chapters Indigo. It should be here by the middle of next week.

I have done quite a bit of online reading about the experiment though.
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

I read the book previously and will lead the discussion.
Aubrey.Alexis
Almost Comfortable

The Lucifer Effect

Unread post

I have been away since The Omnivore's Dilemma, but I plan on reading this book. I'll pick it up this week!
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

I've ordered a copy but I'll have to wait another week or two, which is a shame.
Ophelia.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I'm somewhere a little after page 100 right now. This book is hard to put down once you start reading about the actual Stanford Prison Experiment. I'm writing down questions for Dr. Zimbardo as I progress through the book. Looks like I am in agreement with much of what Nick has been saying about the design of this experiment.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:I'm somewhere a little after page 100 right now. This book is hard to put down once you start reading about the actual Stanford Prison Experiment. I'm writing down questions for Dr. Zimbardo as I progress through the book. Looks like I am in agreement with much of what Nick has been saying about the design of this experiment.
Funny, once I got past the SPE I lost a little interest. I will finish the book though. I have less than 200 pages left.

I just really have a hard time believing I would fall for any of this stuff. The shock experiments and other experiments seem to me to show just how sheepish much of humanity is. Followers. I COULD be wrong, but since that does not happen often, I tend to think I am not. LOL

Seriously though...I am one who does NOT do something just because authority tells me to do something. In fact, I revel in the chance to confront authority when presented with orders that are just dictated as opposed to being explained and justified. It causes me hardship in life, because I tend to put off those in charge (and thus I am usually not the recipient of many rewards), but I just dont care.

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Don't we all love orders?

Unread post

In fact, I revel in the chance to confront authority when presented with orders that are just dictated as opposed to being explained and justified.
My style lies less on confrontation, and a lot on active resistance.

I must say that the many orders I got over the years from the Ministry of Education were explained (at great length) and justified... from their point of view!
One problem is that I have become so wary of the rhetoric and new ideas on education "entirely based on the development of Education Sciences" (as opposed to securing votes or saving money) that it actually becomes difficult to keep an open mind.

A few years ago, I heard two of my colleagues discussing an idea which had reached pupils' contemporary history textbooks. I felt suspicious about the phrasing (new government slogan? Political correctness?) . Among the two colleagues, one had political opinions I often disagreed with, and the other was actually married to a high-ranking official at the Ministry-- I thought their whole-hearted endorsement was a clear signal for me to reject the whole thing, and I did just that (but kept silent about it).
After a year, it turned out that my colleagues had been right , and I felt rather foolish for my ealier dismissal-without-consideration .
I'll never know whether whoever had the textbooks changed had been sincere, but still, a good idea is a good idea.
Ophelia.

Return to “The Lucifer Effect: Understanding How Good People Turn Evil - by Philip Zimbardo”