• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Who is ZachSylvanus?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ZachSylvanus
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Who is ZachSylvanus?

Unread post

Well, first off, my name is Zach Sylvain. I'm 20, and a third-year Biology student at McGill University in Montreal, Canada, and during the summers, I live with my family in sunny Sanford, Maine.I met Chris, Cheryl, Jamie, and Jim over There. Of course, I didn't know them by those names, but....I'm a third year biology student. I'm actually gearing my studies towards an evolutionary and ecological concentration, so I get to study what interests me the most: History AND Science. When I finally finish all of the schooling I foresee for myself, I hope to either get into medicine, or to work at NASA.I enjoy reading, writing, and roleplaying games. I love outdoors sports, such as camping, biking, running, hiking and kayaking. I hate heat and humidity, so my location is perfect. I love to read, and read Pale Blue Dot at Chris' suggestion, and that caused me to purchase and read most of Sagan's other novels. The sheer knowledge of the gamut of science that man possessed leaves me envious.I prefer to read books on history (a lot), philosophy, religions, science, and sci-fi/fantasy. Occasionally I will read some other form of fiction, but it isn't very likely.Er....so...yeah. Thats me. Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 8/10/02 7:56:14 pm
stevepainter

Re: Who is ZachSylvanus?

Unread post

You also met Steve (Rakhir) over there. Good to see you here.
ZachSylvanus

Unread post

I can't believe I forgot you, Steve Sorry man
greg in the machine

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk, Zach. With interests like those you should fit right in.Science and history are my primary interests in life as well. I'm starting work on my Master's degree (in history) in January 2003. I've been out of school since 1998 and I can't wait to get back! (Pathetic, I know).I'm a gamer, too. Gaming - along with biking and reading - is my main hobby. A creative and intelligent passtime if there ever was one.G
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Zach:I'm really happy to have you here at BookTalk. You'll fit in well and I look forward to your contributions!Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da VinciEdited by: Chris OConnor  at: 8/31/02 1:00:19 am
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Zach,Wahoo! I'm glad you're here. I look forward to your participation in the discussions.Cheryl
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Zach:You will have to do the "GuestMap" again....I accidently deleted everyone. I personalized the 5 questions you have to answer when you stick the push pin in the map and then hit the delete button. Sorry about that. So please go enter your info on the map again. Thanks.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da Vinci
ZachSylvanus

Unread post

This weekend's been a rush of paper-writing. Come to think of it, the last couple of weekends have been a rush of paper writing. Nobody told me Science was this much work :(.I'm analyzing a paper about mallards. Cute animals, mallards. In fact, that's why I'm doing the paper. My professor gave me a fairly decent list (8 topics) to write a paper on (well, to critique someone else's paper on), and so, being the indecisive, apathetic human I am, I asked one of my friends what I should do. She of course responded with ducks, as they are infinitely cuter than snakes, more cuddly than cichlid fish, and don't throw feces like orang-utans.Ducks. Woo. Eight pages (or 2000 words!) about ducks. I don't want to see a duck again. Ever. I will boycott parks, hikes, drives, even that damned statue in Boston. I'm overducked. I've reached my duck limit. They're not cute anymore, they're little pawns that run around, have sex with each other, and occasionally pull feathers. Then you take blood serum and analyze it, and turn the ducks into neatly arranged graphs with little error bars and orange sauce, lightly grilled.....I just finished a book yesterday, and now I'm starting the selected reading for this. If anyone gets a chance (and you like Science Fiction in the Cyberpunk genre, or if you just want a really good read), I highly recommend The Diamond Age by Neil Stephenson. Nanotech, drama, action, it's got it all. Plus it lacks ducks.
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

I read an article in... I think it was Scientific American; that ducks are able to sleep with one half of their brain at a time, leaving the other half alert for danger.In fact this mechanism may contain a clue as to why brains have hemispheres in the first place.
ZachSylvanus

Unread post

That would have been interesting. I, however, got to critique a paper about how testosterone levels are favored by females during mate selection (higher is better--but in the spring, while males are chosen in the fall. Apparently it's predictive), and how high T levels affect mate-guardingDuck sex, at its finest. :( Edited by: ZachSylvanus at: 3/25/03 3:03:46 am

Return to “Everything Else”