• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Who did you vote for? Bush or Kerry?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
stevepainter

Re: Who did you vote for? Bush or Kerry?

Unread post

I voted for Kerry.I am still puzzled to see someone like you, Chris, support Bush and his policies.Unless I'm mistaken, you're neither extremely wealthy, nor a warhawk. You don't seem to be easily led. You value intellectual opinions and disdain the faith-based decision making methods used by this very administration.I am left only to assume that somehow you've accepted a view of the challenger as even worse than the incumbent. Or you've accepted the scare tactic that the terrorists will attack again if Kerry is elected.Honestly, a decent argument could be made that the Bush administration didn't pay enough attention to Al-Queda(SP?) in early 2001. Could a different president have stopped it? No one will ever know, however I will posit that according to Clinton administration documents, Al-Queda was a group that they were tracking closely. Anyone remember the missles fired at the base in Afghanistan (complete with Republicans decrying the strike as merely a distraction from Monica-gate). It's not a great leap to assume that if Gore had been president, more may have been known ahead of time. Still, it's quite likely that no one could have stopped 9/11.That being said, I consider it highly unlikely that we'd be involved in an almost unilateral war in Iraq had Bush not been elected in 2000. I'd be surprise if we even were at war in Iraq. I've seen your posts supporting the good that may come of it all, but the fact remains that we were all sold a bill of goods. The administration's reasons for war in Iraq have all been debunked. It's likely that many - even perhaps the president - knew the charges against Iraq were false as they gave them. Yet, no one has called them on this.No wonder the world has such a low opinion of us. We'll impeach a president during one of the most prosperous times ever for lying about an inappropriate relationship, yet we won't impeach a president for lying to get us into a war. A war that the president wanted since he stepped into office. The mixture of power and irrationality in Bush's Amerika are frightening to me; I can only imagine what people in other countries think.It's the day after. It also happens to be my birthday. It's not the best combination of circumstances I can think of. I woke up more concerned about the future, more worried about the world my children are growing up in. For now I've lost my reasons to be optimistic and I don't see when that will change.
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Re: Bush or Kerry?

Unread post

Some Brit headlines Let us agree, there is no one single reality. Not upon this stage, not in this world, all is in the mind... imagination is the only truth. Because it cannot be contradicted except by other imaginations - Richard MathesonThere are no conclusive indications by which waking life can be distinguished from sleep - Rene Descartes
amd2003

Unread post

Chris,: Post your sons paper if he will allow you to. I think we all care a great deal about religious freedom here on BookTalk.I posted his writeup under Academy. The language obviously needs quite a bit of work. I have only briefly looked at it.amd
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

amdI'll check it out. Thank you!No reason to have this as a sticky topic anymore, which means I am allowing it to get bumped as all posts can be bumped.Chris "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandella
amd2003

Unread post

My other son is studying in Europe. He was so confident of a Kerry win that he bought a bottle of champagne to celebrate, I hear. (He talked to my wife this evening. I was out of the house.) It is sitting in his apartment.Champagne? I need to talk to him about this :-)amd(Teetotaler)
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Whaddaya all think:Should we let the South go ahead and secede from the union after all? Get Rid of em all?Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
jjacobs43

Unread post

Quote:Should we let the South go ahead and secede from the union after all? Get Rid of em all?So, if we were to split this nation in two (All of the Liberals go to one part, all of the conservatives to another), how long do you think it would last before each of these two new nations were divided down some arbitrary line once again?

Return to “Current Events & History”