• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Which sex has it easier in our culture?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Which sex has it easier in our culture?

Unread post

Which sex do you think has it easier in our culture?Results (total votes = 16):Male&nbsp7 / 43.8%&nbsp Female&nbsp5 / 31.3%&nbsp About the same&nbsp2 / 12.5%&nbsp Undecided&nbsp2 / 12.5%&nbsp  "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
ecstian

Re: Which sex has it easier in our culture?

Unread post

I voted that men have it easier. This is basically because we still have not risen above the paternalism of the Judeo-Christian beliefs that have directed our culture since our land was first stepped upon by Europeans. One can only hope that we eventually overcome our cultural limitations. I make this statement as a generalization of our culture. There are certainly progressive individuals and groups of people who have overcome such stereotypical roles for men and women, but for a large part, we still have room for improvement. In the past, I had personal association with hundreds of evangelical Christian families in which the role of the husband was generally to earn the money and to "lead" the wife. In practice, this meant that the role of the wife was to fulfill whatever responsibilities the husband did not fulfill, and to do whatever else he told her to do. This arrangement was more the rule than the exception among the families I associated with, and it was explicitly espoused by the leadership of the associated churches. One could probably make a case that in many of these families, the man "had it easier". Eric Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 6/26/05 12:55 am
wrkelly
Almost Comfortable
United States of America

Re: depends

Unread post

It depends on how you are measuring "easy", I should think. Easier to earn a higher salary, easier to not measure your worth in terms of others' opinions of you, easier to promote your abilities and your career goals, easier to do ski flying, easier to be US President or hold a seat in Congress, yes probably. But if you are talking easier to spend time with your children, easier to feel and express emotions, easier to NOT fit the competitive, aggressive ideal valued by Western cultures, easier to wear pants or a skirt at your whim, then women are less confined by social norms in the US.It seems to me that we are all subject to the inflexibility of our culture and socialization. And while women need to be trying to attain equality in terms of pay and stature and physical and intellectual respect (and to some degree have made advances here), men need to be trying to attain equality in terms of being free to be balanced, compassionate human beings (and to some degree have made advances there). Although I believe suicide rates are still higher for women, homicide rates are still higher for men. So maybe we can say that women and men on average are equally out of balance!
pctacitus

Unread post

Women, no question. Men earn more often because they work harder (to be a CEO one needs to work 60-90 hour weeks for 20 years, often with lots of traveling and relocations), put in for hazardous jobs (explosives handling, police, infantry) or take up occupations in the hopes of earning money rather than enjoying their career as women often do. ...[T]o ignore the classics is ultimately to weaken the very foundations of our society. - James Atlas, Book Wars: What it Takes to be Educated in America
AirPrang

Unread post

Quote:Women, no question. Men earn more often because they work harder (to be a CEO one needs to work 60-90 hour weeks for 20 years, often with lots of traveling and relocations), put in for hazardous jobs (explosives handling, police, infantry) or take up occupations in the hopes of earning money rather than enjoying their career as women often do.I don't know whether to laugh or cry.Pctacitus, I don't know what country you're in but would be very interested in knowing more about why you hold that opinion.A quick google turns up information from the most recent US census describing the increasing workplace pay gap between men and women. Nineteen Fortune 1000 corporations have women CEOs. I don't believe this is because women aren't interested in earning more, being CEOs or putting in the hard yards. Equally, there are other studies showing trends in graduate recruit placements, where male graduates frequently start their careers at a higher level/wage as women with the same qualification. Information for Britain shows the same, as do studies and census material from Australia.In my country women join the police force and the army, or enter hazardous professions, as a matter of course depending on their interests and education. Perhaps this is a different matter where you are and women are not encouraged in such professions. Betonprosa oder PermafrostSchmelzvorgaenge oder nichtDas deja vu ist jetzt historischdie Gemengelage wie gehabtIch bluteIrgendwas ist immerIch gehe jetzt
Ruinean

Unread post

It has to be women if we are forced to make such an apples and oranges choice. They live longer. Easier is such a loaded word in this context. But....They can, and do, fall back on the old weaker sex thing. All men are scum and it is just that simple, but it is also a known quantity. My straight brother has a LOT more trouble with women than women have with him. He swears that he loves them after all these years even as he grumbles that they are all victims of the delusion that their genitals are a carte blanche to the good life. Made of gold I think he said. I will have to take his word for it being a gay man myself. Women get to feel, men feel but by law must deny it or they are fags. They think that is a very bad thing, worse than death my brother said to his gay brother often enough.Let us not even pretend for a moment that the law does not give deference to women. And it is our unrealistic cultural expectations of men that make them into the beasts they are, that and their gonads, but they are a victim of both, congenitally forced to be jerks and die younger in the process. Often history shows us that the monarch is a target for all that hate, devoid of real life and second to the state he rules, and yet next to him is the eminence grise, that hooded thing that whispers what must be into kings ears. The one with the real power, yet freedom from obligation. That notion of eminence grise is depicted in a famous painting of a monk in a gray habit bent to the ear of a Spanish king, yet it is women that are the eminence grise of western civilization. How many times have you heard the phrase "the power behind the throne?"Women have a few issues they have to deal with too. Guilt over getting us kicked out of Eden I am told. THE CURSE! Though which sex suffers more from THE CURSE is still debatable in my opinion. I should not make light of it, it can't be easy to have your reason stolen and manipulated every single month. Hormones are powerful drugs, and it seems women have a greater range of them to deal with. Women also are discounted as viable people in a culture that values manliness, ask a gay man, I can tell you that the "code" of manliness is iron, unforgiving, and cruel. So if women get a bit back I am all for it.Bottom line is for me that women have it easier, and they cannot know that till they have had to be men.

Return to “Everything Else”