Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:56 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
What would you change? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

Post What would you change?
If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?

Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:02 pm
Profile Email YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Worthy of Worship

Later

Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:05 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genuinely Genius

Silver Contributor

Post Making a Change
I am glad to see that it seems we are all generally happy with ourselves! Fixing a bum knee is a reasonable wish for change. Or could it be we don't want to think about our shortcomings? Or is it that there are so many to list, we don't know where to begin? Could it be we don't want to make public our faults?
I've been sitting here thinking that I am pretty happy with myself and my life. There is one area in need of improvement, but I wonder if in a month or two or year of two I'd look back on this post and feel silly about it. Right now, I wish I could change that I seem to be unable to find the partner I want in life. I am not sure if this has something to do with my ability to choose correctly or what! I just wish that aspect of my life would change!

Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:37 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

I can relate to you there for some reason it is so hard to find that special someone,And I often wonder about alot of the mistakes i've made and if i didn't make them would I have found mr right? But I don't regret them too much bc we all have to learn from our mistakes and just hope for a good outcome.

Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:49 pm
Profile Email YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genuinely Genius

Silver Contributor

Thanks, sweetpea! I am trying to be like you and hope for a good outcome!

Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:03 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Worthy of Worship

tarav
Or could it be we don't want to think about our shortcomings? Or is it that there are so many to list, we don't know where to begin? Could it be we don't want to make public our faults?

Well, I certainly do not consider myself perfect... far from it. But my faults in my opinion are minor and at this point I am comfortable with them.

They are...

I have a tendency towards procrastination and laziness, which I generally overcome with a strong work ethic... those traits mostly show themselves at home.

I'm shy around new people... I used to use alcohol to combat this flaw, since then I have developed a well rounded list of interests that I can discuss and now I just use humor to break the ice most of the time.

I have a degree of self consciousness, I do not like being perceived as weak or as a victim, I have developed a tendency to overcompensate and attack when on the defensive.

Those are a few of my more challenging flaws, but I do not regret having them, they have made my life very interesting to say the least and I am proud to have found ways to overcome and live with them.

I have very few (only a handful) of regrets most of them are minor being personal choices and not suffering that I have inflicted on others.

Later

Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:23 pm
Profile Email
Oddly Attracted to Books

Gold Contributor

The mistakes I've made are, I find, always mistakes of appreciation or evaluation, and now that I'm aware of them... I still find it very hard not to make the same mistakes again!

Some of the worst errors made in appraeciating and understanding what was being said to me was when I was about 20. During my student days, I was really living on my own planet, the impact of reality hadn't hit. Well, at that age what can you expect.

Later I found that in some cases I had not been listening to or hearing the clear signals that people were giving me-- I was yet on another planet at the time.
In one case it resulted in people getting really angry with me, and there was nothing I could say-- really embarrassing, how could I not have heard?

Now I'm more careful-- I know that my antennaes have not been perfect in the past and I'd rather avoid the old mistakes if possible.

One thing that I still find very difficult is evaluating what young people tell me. In the old days I could mostly ignore their complaints, and, with certitude of my own youth, believe that this was nonsense and should be treated as such.

Now you can't do that, I have to address their complaints, and my problem is sorting out what should be addressed from the nonsense to be ignored.
My colleagues seem to know how to do this -- I know for every day use, I don't bumble into mistakes day in and day out, but occasionally I find it difficult to have the correct appreciation.
Some years I have ignored the complaints, which were also in a vocabularyI did not understand and honestly made no sense to me. And on one or two occasions the results were near catastrophic.

Often it just seems to me that this is play acting: young people get as worked up over last Friday's test or the trampled rights of students in our schools as over the invasion of Tibet.
Once, after an outburst of indignation, I asked them if they really believed in all this or if it was a show: I honestly didn't know.
They said of course they believed in what they were saying!

And the thing is, I think that at the time, the quibbling about their marks is as important as repression in Tibet. They probaly don't know themselves.

Still, teachers are supposed to know those things.

My colleague Baba Cool can speak volumes about unfairness and the young, and how he himself could not abide unfairness when he was a student... and really none of it makes sense to me.

One of my colleagues and friends is much more clever than I am about all those things, and has the ability to think the way young people think, sometimes in their words, and often defends their point of view-- a very impressive case of empathy for me to study; she's not a beginner, so the empathy is not due to the age factor.

One day I asked her how one could tell whether those young people were really indignant or were just faking it.
She, the defender of the young, answered: "Ah... the thing is, you can never know."

:sad:

Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:00 pm

I would be less selfish and more tolerant.

And about twenty pounds lighter.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:29 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One more post ought to do it.

Gold Contributor

I would be less concerned about whether people like me or not and be far more concerned about whether I like myself. I am working on this.

I would get rid of my baby fine...fluffy hair....and have really serious, sensible hair.....that looks grown-up and adult......for when I am pretending to be grown-up and adult.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini

Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:40 am
Pop up Book Fanatic

For me, it is an easy choice. I have been legally blind since birth, so I give myself full vision if I could.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:55 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

And there's me waffling about my bloody hair!!!!! :oops:

However...I am interested in how you cope with your condition.

How can you read the computer screen? Is there some kind of braille mechanism or a speech facility? Is the text written extra large?

How wonderful that you can do this.....

I hope you don't mind my asking.... but if you do mind.....please just ignore me.

Pen x

Rafael Sabatini

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:21 pm
Pop up Book Fanatic

Wow.....Coffee.....

And there's me waffling about my bloody hair!!!!! :oops:

However...I am interested in how you cope with your condition.

How can you read the computer screen? Is there some kind of braille mechanism or a speech facility? Is the text written extra large?

How wonderful that you can do this.....

I hope you don't mind my asking.... but if you do mind.....please just ignore me.

Pen x

Oh of course I don't mind you asking! It's completely fine :) This may be long so brace yourself :P

I am not totally blind but am classified as being legally blind, meaning I fall into the category of having a severe visual impairment (I think there is a specific range of vision you need to fall into, but I am not sure of the numbers). So I still have some vision. My condition is stable and will only really deteriorate with old age, so it's not one of those conditions where you slowly go totally blind. I'm lucky in that respect.

As I still have some sight, I was never taught braille. They tend to make kids use their sight if they can, and will only teach someone braille if they are blind or going blind. I would like to learn, but I think as an adult it could be challenging.

For accessing computers I use zoomtext, which is a screen reader and magnification program. It can read to you out loud as well as magnify up to 30 x. These days you can get almost normal sounding voices (in fact I have one with an Aussie accent) to read to you. Here is a youtube video which gives a zoomtext demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmcUsd-eZ0Q

Reading a book is challenging for me at times. While I can physically read normal print, if I read it for too long I get eyestrain (sore eyes/headache which then leads to nausea). Audio books are okay but can be expensive at times and so can large print books (which is appalling by the way!). My main method is to buy a book, scan page by page with OCR software and then convert it all into a word or PDF document and have zoomtext read it out loud. This is time consuming, but worth it in the end.

It's wonderful having access to such wonderful technology, the unfortunate thing is that adaptive technology is often very pricey and there is not a lot of funding to help people. It takes a long time to save up when on disability benefits. I hope to go into a graduate entry social work degree next year (I will finish my undergrad degree in communications in november) so that I can work in the disability sector and hopefully advocate for more support for people with impairments.

Anyway, I am rambling! I hope you've found this helpful. Feel free to ask anything else if you think of it :)

Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:17 am

Gold Contributor

Coffee - that softeware sounds great. I will take a look at that link.

It is great that you have a sense of direction though. Having a really good reason for achieving your degree will help you along I'm sure.

I know so many really bright young people....who seem to be floundering around not knowing what subjects to take because they have no idea what they want to do on graduating, which must be a curb on enthusiasm for study.

Still, none of us is enthusiastic all the time I suppose. Now I'm waffling....still, I can waffle for England.......I could get an Olympic Gold Medal for waffling.

:D

Rafael Sabatini

Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:07 am
Oddly Attracted to Books

Gold Contributor

I've looked up the zoomtext demo, it's great to see that such software exists and helps you to have access to books, and also communicate with us.
It's a shame such things are so expensive.

Sometimes all it takes is a clever group of people and some volunteers to do something very helpful. A few weeks ago I saw a short report on french television-- I missed the beginning with the practical details of who and where, but it seemed to be a group coupled with a library. They had volunteers who read books onto CDs, which were then sent to people whose eyesight did not permit them to read the paper version of the book. The readers were often elderly ladies who could not travel to the library, so the CD was sent to them by mail, and it was very cheap.
I wondered how they got permission and how the authors were persuaded to wave fees-- if indeed that was the case.
Everything in the association looked pleasant and efficient.

It looked like something local, but actually there is a larger association which takes care of this nationally:

http://www.giaa.org/-Qui-sommes-nous-.html

Do you have an association like this that you can borrow audiobooks from in Australia Charley?

Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:00 am
Creative Writing Student

I would change my communication problem. I'm not really good at talking to other people and most times I just don't know what to say. Sometimes this part of me is really annoying myself.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:13 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next