• In total there are 52 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 51 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rapture doesn't occur?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rapture doesn't occur?

Poll ended at Sun May 22, 2011 1:42 am

After May 21st he will admit he made an error and is not sure where he went wrong with his math.

No votes
After May 21st he will admit an error but suddenly see his error and change the date so the waiting game can continue.

37%
After May 21st he will claim it HAS happened in a peculiar way that only him and select people can perceive.

16%
Before May 21, 2011 he will bump the date back after "discovering" a small error is his math.

11%
Harold is over 90 years old and probably won't live till May 21, 2011.

No votes
After May 21st Harold will take his own life in embarrassment or in an effort to create his own Rapture.

11%
After May 21st he will keep his mouth shut in embarrassment and give no explanations or excuses.

16%
Other - explain your prediction.

11%

Total votes: 19
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Re: What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rap

Unread post

So the second coming happened, but it was spiritual instead of physical. So now why would October be any different? I suppose that on October 22 forward Camping will have to claim that spiritually we are in the New Jerusalem etc. etc. Spiritually, not physically, sin will be gone according to that standard. But then of course with life carrying on as usual all of the usual human nature going about, described as sin, will of course still be carrying on.

This guys an idiot. Why doesn't he get it over with and just join the Jehovah's Witness? He already copied them close enough. This invisible second coming apology to excuse his false prophecy is just plain ill-conceived. I wonder how long it will take for his following to collapse completely?
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Re: What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rapture doesn't occur?

Unread post

Tat
This guys an idiot. Why doesn't he get it over with and just join the Jehovah's Witness?
I doubt that they would take him :lol:

Later
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Re: What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rapture doesn't occur?

Unread post

It's still interesting to sit here watching the play by play first hand. The extent of his delusion is remarkable. How does this May 21 apology categorize psychologically, perhaps as a self reinforcing delusion?

But then again, it's still a delusion comparable to anything we see around here with Stahrwe. Only Campings YEC delusion is receiving global attention of course...
Last edited by tat tvam asi on Fri May 27, 2011 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

And Camping’s delusion is also being tested against the empirical world… and its failing… no surprise.

Later
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

Here's another addition to the doomsday cult media blitz:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Doomsday- ... 11146.html
When the world didn't end on May 21, many people who had given up their earthly possessions were left with nothing.

But one believer never lived to see the day. She left nearly her entire estate -- around $300,000 -- to the group behind the failed prediction, leaving some family members out in the cold.

Eileen Heuwetter was shocked to find out that her aunt left the majority of her estate to Family Radio, the group responsible for the doomsday warnings that the world would end on May 21. She and her sister were each left $25,000 from their aunt's estate. The rest is going to Family Radio.

The network of Christian radio stations based in Oakland, Ca., is almost entirely funded by donations. According to IRS filings, the group brought in $18 million in contributions in 2009 alone.

Heuwetter, the executor of the will, knew how much her aunt loved the radio station and admired its leader, Harold Camping, who is viewed as a prophet by many of his followers.

While other family members insisted it was crazy to let her aunt give all that money to a radio station, Heuwetter didn't initially contest the conditions of the will. She knew little about the Christian radio station, but knew her aunt, Doris Schmitt, found comfort in it.

Schmitt had lived a tough life, struggling with alcoholism and losing her two children to drug addictions before dying alone at 78 on May 2, 2010 in her small home in Queens, New York.

"This was not a woman who had anything. She literally had Family Radio on day and night -- she went to bed with it and woke up to it," said Heuwetter. "That was all she had."

It wasn't until recently that Heuwetter learned who was really getting her aunt's bequest. She said she first realized this was the same group when she saw buses driving around New York City the weekend before the supposed end of the world, spreading the doomsday message. "I'm looking at these brand new buses drive around with Family Radio's name on them, saying 'Doomsday is May 21', and I said, 'Oh my god, this is who my aunt gave all of her money to," Heuwetter said. "I didn't know he was so crazy, and at this point I was incensed that this man was going to get everything my aunt had left."

While Heuwetter says she didn't necessarily need the extra cash, other family members were struggling and could have used a little help, she said.

Even worse, Heuwetter said, was that Camping's prediction never came to fruition. Heuwetter's family members were just as angry when they learned about Family Radio's failed prophecy, so they brought the case to several lawyers, who sympathized with the family, but agreed they had no case. Family Radio did not respond to requests for comment.

The estate is within weeks of closing, and Heuwetter knows it's a lost cause.

"It's just so frustrating because I know there's nothing I can do about it -- this man is going to get hundreds of thousands of dollars from my aunt," she said. "And she wasn't a rich woman."

Though Camping later clarified that his prediction actually extends until October, many followers were disappointed when the rapture didn't happen on May 21. Heuwetter said there is no way her aunt would have given the money to Family Radio, had she lived to see Camping's doomsday-gone-wrong.

"She would have been devastated," Heuwetter said. "Listening to him say things would be better in paradise made her feel better -- she totally believed she would leave this world on May 21, and she needed to believe that."

If she were here to watch the world continue after May 21, she would have likely given her money to other family members, said Heuwetter.

"It was a good amount of money that would have helped a lot of people live better today -- but now it's not helping anyone."
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Wow, what a story. I doubt the family will get any of the money seeing as the aunt left it of her own free will.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

hmmm....

That's funny.

I'm an atheist. I knew the rapture was coming. And I didnt try to rape ANYBODY.

Maybe christians WILL go crazy if they knew there was no god.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florid ... 7757.story
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Within a few days after the non-rapture, I came across several people, all very religious, who were angry at Camping. I didn't have an opportunity to ask them why they were. I can speculate that the cry wolf thing was part of it; also they might have feared they'd look ridiculous themselves (imagine), believing in the rapture as much as Camping. One note I did detect is that Camping ignored the Bible itself, which says nobody will be able to tell us when the end times will come. So Camping wasn't fundamentalist enough. It's a brilliant stroke from the writers, I have to admit, putting that disclaimer in. Every person who wrongly predicts the end proves the Bible right in some perverse way. Maybe a few people who previously accepted the rapture felt a few doubts creep in after the 21st. That would be a good result to partly offset the harm done.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Re: What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rap

Unread post

For sure. Things like this must make people step back a little bit and consider how foolish a belief in the rapture must make them look. I was looking around at the sky on the 21st thinking about how bloody stupid it is for anyone to actually think that an historical second coming will ever happen at any time. When I believed in it I actually used to look towards the east because it's claimed that Jesus will be coming from the east as a cloud about the size of a man's fist. That's the first sign of his nearness and one that SDA's have always focused on. It's funny reflecting back on that delusion now understanding the solar the myth and where the fixation on the east came from in the first place.
Azrael
Masters

Unread post

DWill wrote:Within a few days after the non-rapture, I came across several people, all very religious, who were angry at Camping. I didn't have an opportunity to ask them why they were. I can speculate that the cry wolf thing was part of it; also they might have feared they'd look ridiculous themselves (imagine), believing in the rapture as much as Camping. One note I did detect is that Camping ignored the Bible itself, which says nobody will be able to tell us when the end times will come. So Camping wasn't fundamentalist enough. It's a brilliant stroke from the writers, I have to admit, putting that disclaimer in. Every person who wrongly predicts the end proves the Bible right in some perverse way. Maybe a few people who previously accepted the rapture felt a few doubts creep in after the 21st. That would be a good result to partly offset the harm done.
which says nobody will be able to tell us when the end times will come.
That's the easy way out for them. The babble writers were smart enough to include a scapegoat.

http://www.bible.ca/pre-date-setters.htm

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”