• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

What war on Christmas?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: What war on Christmas?

Unread post

Dissident Heart: ...how the frenzied compulsion to purchase and consume in a Nation of overindulgent opulence, financing the largest military in world history, hijacks this ancient story about the infant Prince of Peace: this is the war against Christmas.I think there's more to it than just the greed for a quick buck perverting a religious tradition. I see the Christmas shopping push, and the tendency among Christians towards a materialistic tradition, as falling in line with the more general push to conform Christmas to the pattern of renewal traditions. Gift-giving is a way of evoking a hoped for prosperity in the coming year. Even if that isn't entirely clear in actual exchanges, it ought to be apparant in the way that the market is scrutinized and forecasts are made in reference to the Christmas season. Even if there are reasons, as there probably are, for assuming that the Christmas revenue will reflect the trends of the year to come, I would say that the fervor that goes into such analysis, as well as the pitch of its psychological effect on consumers and retailers alike probably has more to do with a hardly acknowledged superstitious frame of thought than with any tested and corraborated economic principles.There are all sorts of hidden currents beneath the surface of modern life. When you talk about the holiday season, I'd say there's a pagan/agrarian current not too far deep.riverc0il: seems like the people pushing for plualistic names are believers wanting to be inclusive to all. the religious right could take a lesson to prove their cause.I think the problems are arising in part because some religious adherents are attempting to maintain religious icons in secular arenas. A lot of the debate seems to have arisen over seperate instances of public schools have erected Christmas trees and so on. Maybe a change in constituency has made this more problematic than it would have been in previous years, simply because there are more students of different religious and cultural backgrounds than there have been previously in a given school. The insistence on the part of the religious traditionalists has forced them into a corner where they mistakenly find it to be more prudent to clothe their traditions in terminology that is ambiguous enough to make it tolerably secular. And I think a great deal of that is due to the more general confusion of not really understanding the history and purpose of traditional icons in religious observance. It's all a little skewed.why don't people give more often independant of dates?For that matter, why don't Christians give presents at Easter? I think the concentration on Christmas is due to a semi-conscious association with rites of renewal, and I'd say that tendency to confuse the issues is just as prevalent among secular celebrants as it is among Christian traditionalists.
IndigoWords

Re: Stolen Christmas

Unread post

I've taken to saying just "Bless you" but you are right, it is more out of habit than anything else. Sometimes I'll say "Excuse you" but that's just to be snarky and only with people I know.Does Gudsudheit (sp?) mean "God bless you" in German? ****************SmutWriter. The unofficial, informal writing site for erotica writers everywhere.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

riverc0ilI just listened to that commentary and it brings back memories of when I was always teetering on the edge of financial ruin. There are millions and millions of people living their lives either below the poverty line or simply paycheck to paycheck. It is hard to get into the spirit of things when the world is telling you that this is the season of "giving" and you lack the means to give.I've been there and don't know what the solution is. One thing I know for sure is that the feelings of stress are alleviated as you move up the income level. Some will argue with this, and we're all entitled to our own opinions, but I personally have existed at most points along the income spectrum - from extremely poor to relatively comfortable. I've never been even close to being wealthy and probably never will be, but many of my clients have achieved this status and I think I can comment on their attitudes toward life rather reliably. Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 12/24/05 11:11 am
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

IndigoWordsI ran a search and found that Gesundheit means "health" in German. German's say "Gesundheit!" when someone sneezes to wish them good health.Here is what Wikipedia has to say about the word.
StarlightCode

Unread post

I'm told to have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. No thanks, because I choose to be Merry and Happy every day of my life and don't have to be prompted by pagan ritual. My home breeds Freethinkers that are not constrained by anybody's tradition, custom, dogma, faith, etc. Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”