• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

What the #$*! Do We Know!?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
booper54

What the #$*! Do We Know!?

Unread post

Has anyone seen this movie? I haven't seen it yet but I really would like to. It looks like the type of movie BookTalk people would like.I actually work at a movie theater and when we played this movie some people even walked out on it. A couple people said it was the worst movie they had ever seen. I think they most likely just are not used to these types of movies... you know... the ones that make you think.imdb.com/title/tt0399877/
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: What the #$*! Do We Know!?

Unread post

booperEveryone has different taste in movies, but I'd love to hear what you think of it after you've seen it yourself. You planning on seeing it? I remember walking out of Blade II, and I'm sure a few people here like that one. Chris
jjacobs43

Unread post

I saw this movie and had to listen to a guy in front of me get all huffy because he was offended by the implications. Apparently they didn't match up with his religious beliefs. I truly thought the guy was going to lose it. But he did manage to make it through the movie without walking out - gotta give him credit for that.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

jjacobs43Hah! Now that you say that I'm going to have to rent this movie. I love movies and books that challenge beliefs.Chris
CSflim

Unread post

From RogerEbert.com:Quote:What the #$*! Doc's a hoaxQ. While the film "What the #$*! Do We Know!?" parades itself as a tell-all about quantum physics, it turns out that it's actually a 111-minute infomercial for ... that's right, the Ramtha School of Enlightenment. In fact, the three filmmakers, [William] Arntz, [Betsy] Chasse and [Mark] Vicente, are all devotees of Ramtha.There's little to no accurate science in the film, and, as a physicist pointed out recently in your Answer Man column, the individuals who are quoted are pretty far from qualified experts on the field of quantum mechanics. Case in point: One of the persons expounding on causality and quantum physics (Dispenza) is a chiropractor. The film's sole purpose appears to be to promote the ideology of the Ramtha School of Enlightenment. A quick browse through their Web site will clearly demonstrate that the film's pseudoscientific nonsense comes straight from the teachings of the RSE.Rubin Safaya, Edina, Minn.A. Several other readers also unmasked the documentary as a hoax. I knew there had to be something fishy when the expert who made the most sense was channeling a 35,000-year-old seer from Atlantis.I have not seen this film, so I cannot directly comment, but I am well used to the popular works of "Quantum Bullshit" that have been doing the rounds lately. ___________________Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?-Douglas Adams, Last Chance To See
jjacobs43

Unread post

Quote:I have not seen this film, so I cannot directly comment, but I am well used to the popular works of "Quantum Bullshit" that have been doing the rounds lately. Well I've SEEN the movie and I can't directly comment on it either. Only because I am far from qualified to decipher "quantum bullshit" from real science. I think a lot of people in this forum could probably do a much better job at that. None the less, there was a lot of preaching going on through parts of the movie that was probably a lot of BS. But, as a whole, I still think the movie threw a lot out there to think about and thus generated a lot of conversation among the viewers.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

CSflimThank you for posting that critique. I don't think I have an interest in seeing the movie anymore. The problem with pseudoscience is that it is usually paraded as real science, and the average person is not capable of telling the difference. By either seeing this movie in the theater, or spending money on its rental, the customer is rewarding the perpetrator for their deception and/or ignorance.jjacobs43While the movie may fuel quality discussion and deep thought, I still fear that most people seeing it will walk away feeling it is true science. This scares me. In a world of irrationality, lies, general BS and overall dishonesty, I don't want to do anything that condones this behavior.Chris
jjacobs43

Unread post

Quote:While the movie may fuel quality discussion and deep thought, I still fear that most people seeing it will walk away feeling it is true science. This scares me. In a world of irrationality, lies, general BS and overall dishonesty, I don't want to do anything that condones this behavior.Good point.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

I saw it last night, on the recommendation of several acquaintances. I can't pass on the recommendation.Ebert's dead on -- this is propaganda for the Ramtha School of Enlightenment. In fact, the film makers don't bother listing the credentials of the "scientists" interviewed until the closing credits, leaving you to wonder for the duration of the movie's running time whose opinions you're listening to. Several of the credentials are fairly reputable, though as with many reputable intellectuals, some of their ideas are less reputable. But I suspect that the big reasons the film makers waited until the film's end to tell you who their interviewers were is that one of the primary talking heads is Ramtha "himself", presumably a 35,000 year-old spirit warrior from Atlantis and Lemuria, as channeled by JZ Knight. You're allowed the entire time to assume that Ms. Knight is, like most of the other talking heads, a PhD. when she is, in fact, the founder of the Ramtha School.Shabby business, and I doubt most of you would enjoy the film anyway, as it uses quantum physics to advocate belief in some obscure form of God.
booper54

Unread post

I rented this movie about a week ago. It did sort of make me think about the things they were talking about, but I'm pretty sure most of it was BS. From what I could tell, the main idea of the movie was to say that reality only exists in every individual's mind, and that reality is only what you can see with your eyes and how your brain interprets it. They tried backing up their theories by using quantum mechanics and the uncertainty principle... although they hardly explained the science they were using to justify things with... they mostly just said "because of quantum mechanics..."One of the examples they used was that the indians who saw Columbus's ship approaching the islands from a distance couldn't even see them at first because it was like nothing they had ever seen before. So, at first, nobody saw them. Then one of the indians noticed some ripples in the water, but didn't know why they were there because there was nothing in the water. After a while he began believing something was there, and that's when he began to see the ships.I also read on the IMDB.com forums for this movie that the speakers in it did not even really agree with the makers of the movie, but their conversations were edited so it looked like they said what they wanted them to say. That may or may not be true though.If you like movies that make you think, then watch it, but don't expect anything great.

Return to “Everything Else”