• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What song is stuck in your head today?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Re: What song is stuck in your head today?

Unread post

"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down", the Joan Baez version, I heard it about 2 weeks ago and its still stuck in my head.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

giselle:

"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down", the Joan Baez version
Yes, very special.....love it.

But the schools are closing here for the summer holidays. My grandson is excited by the thought of holidays and I've just introduced him to this one.....and now it won't go away....

Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda
Here I am at Camp Granada
Camp is very entertaining
And they say we'll have some fun if it stops raining

I went hiking with Joe Spivey
He developed poison ivy
You remember Leonard Skinner
He got ptomaine poisoning last night after dinner

All the counselors, hate the waiters
And the lake has alligators
And the head coach, wants no sissys
So he reads to us from something called Ullyses

Now I don't want this should scare ya
But my bunkmate has malaria
You remember, Jeffrey Hardy
They're about to organize a searching party

Take me home, oh Mudda Fadda
Take me home, I hate Granada
Don't leave me out in the forest where
I might get eaten by a bear

Take me home, I promise I will not make noise
Or mess the house with other boys
Oh please don't make me stay
I've been here one whole day

Dearest Fadda, darling Mudda
How's my precious, little brudda
Let me come home, if you miss me
I would even let Aunt Bertha hug and kiss me

Wait a minute, it stopped hailing
Guys are swimming, guys are sailing
Playing baseball, gee that's betta
Mudda, fadda, kindly disregard this letta
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
wokattack
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Do you Remember, Ane Brun
Bizness, Tune Yards
An eclectic mix of interests and comments: http://thatthereengland.wordpress.com
DamianLake
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

Wow, haven't thought of Allen Sherman in forever! I used to listen to his Camp Grenada and his version of Downtown and other songs endlessly.

I've had a pair of songs alternating in my head ENDLESSLY the last three days. I was even singing one in the taco bell drive through last night. Both are from 'Finian's Rainbow', which I recently re-watched for the first time in about twenty years. They are the iconic songs, 'Look To The Rainbow' and 'How Are Things In Glocca Morra?'

If you've never seen the production, I happened to find a youtube link that features both of them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anuDJ2pvdho

The best way to get a song out of your head is to get it stuck in someone else's! :)
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

DamianLake wrote:

Both are from 'Finian's Rainbow', which I recently re-watched for the first time in about twenty years.
Oh yes, lovely Gaelic type film. And I agree, 'How are things in Glocca Morra', whilst not exactly a catchy tune, does get into the head.
Next week, I'm off the the Highlands of Scotland....which is not unlike. Gaelic at any rate.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

DamianLake wrote:Wow, haven't thought of Allen Sherman in forever! I used to listen to his Camp Grenada and his version of Downtown and other songs endlessly.

The best way to get a song out of your head is to get it stuck in someone else's! :)
Well you succeeded! I now have the original Petula Clark Downtown stuck in my head, the one Allen Sherman spoofed. Catchy tune, repetitive lyrics with little meaning, a perfect one to get stuck. :x
DamianLake
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

giselle wrote: Well you succeeded! I now have the original Petula Clark Downtown stuck in my head, the one Allen Sherman spoofed. Catchy tune, repetitive lyrics with little meaning, a perfect one to get stuck. :x
That amuses me, as I suspect it demonstrates some sort of fundamental physical law that operates the universe. Petula Clark also sung both of the Finian's Rainbow songs that prompted me to post in this thread in the first place!

Since then, I've been dipping into youtube for some of the other old songs from my favorite childhood musicals. Today, my mind has been fondling 'My Friend the Doctor', from the production of Dr. Dolittle. If you missed the REAL Dr. Dolittle movie, give this link a peek and then order the dvd from Amazon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnXMbFB2NNU
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

DamianLake wrote:
That amuses me, as I suspect it demonstrates some sort of fundamental physical law that operates the universe.
It would not half way surprise me if such a law is discovered, somewhere way down the line, that originates from observation and study of pop music!!
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Barbra Streisand singing 'Don't Rain on My Parade' - is one of my constant companions and that really is a strange tune, but it often fits in with my syncopated life.

Rafael Sabatini
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

DamianLake wrote:Since then, I've been dipping into youtube for some of the other old songs from my favorite childhood musicals. Today, my mind has been fondling 'My Friend the Doctor', from the production of Dr. Dolittle. If you missed the REAL Dr. Dolittle movie, give this link a peek and then order the dvd from Amazon.
I have it on DVD and soundtrack. ;-D Rex Harrison is a beast! Talk about stuck in your head... this movie has been lodged there for some time!
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”